When that gut feeling proves right...

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Let's hope they have left whilst you are still within the limits of the small claims court.......!
(I seriously do feel very sorry for you)
annedab

Post by annedab »

Sam V wrote:.......I'm sure if it's unlocked and you close it from the outside it doesn't lock, but wondering if the lock is put into the lock position when the door is open, then the door is closed, it may trip and lock the door from the outside when you close it.
We have a similar door to our kitchen balcony and I tested it numerous times to make sure that this wouldn't happen! Suffice to say that eventually it did - yes, probably related to moving the lock mechanism on the inside of the door :oops: Fortunately, my mother in law was staying and let us back in, but otherwise it would have involved a very wet climb over a steep roof in the dark.
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

So sorry to hear about this Sam. Huge sympathies (and no helpful suggestions I'm afraid.)

Guess what we'll be checking on our next trip to Cyprus!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Update/advice needed.

Well, while we were at the villa on our half term 'holiday' we had the frame replaced, the chap who did it did a fantastic job.

But, in the meantime the guests have not responded to me or returned the key. My OH agreed, on this occasion, that we should pursue them for the costs of repairs and in addition, as stated in my T&Cs the cost of a replacement key, unless they can provide proof of having posted it on their return.

I wrote a letter dated 8 June, using a template from the small claims requesting payment of the listed expenses to my account, stating that if I did not receive an explanation why they may not agree they are liable or the payment to my account within 14 days or I would be starting proceedings, etc.

I emailed a copy of the letter to them and a hard copy in the post with recorded delivery on 9th.

Now today I've received the letter unopened returned to me. My numptiness! it appears I had put on the wrong postcode, the rest of the address is correct, so did wonder why the PO could not have ignored the postcode and posted it anyway.

So now my dilemma. Do I resend a new corrected reprinted letter, still dated the 8th, or ignore its been returned and go with the fact I have sent them an email, and assume the posted copy, and not had any further response and continue with the next stage. If I re-post a new letter, how long do I wait until I continue?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Update/advice needed.

Well, while we were at the villa on our half term 'holiday' we had the frame replaced, the chap who did it did a fantastic job.

But, in the meantime the guests have not responded to me or returned the key. My OH agreed, on this occasion, that we should pursue them for the costs of repairs and in addition, as stated in my T&Cs the cost of a replacement key, unless they can provide proof of having posted it on their return.

I wrote a letter dated 8 June, using a template from the small claims requesting payment of the listed expenses to my account, stating that if I did not receive an explanation why they may not agree they are liable or the payment to my account within 14 days or I would be starting proceedings, etc.

I emailed a copy of the letter to them and a hard copy in the post with recorded delivery on 9th.

Now today I've received the letter unopened returned to me. My numptiness! it appears I had put on the wrong postcode, the rest of the address is correct, so did wonder why the PO could not have ignored the postcode and posted it anyway.

So now my dilemma. Do I resend a new corrected reprinted letter, still dated the 8th, or ignore its been returned and go with the fact I have sent them an email, and assume the posted copy, and not had any further response and continue with the next stage. If I re-post a new letter, how long do I wait until I continue?

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have a similar dilemma re starting court proceedings. I have sent emails which are now being ignored, so although my last email was dated, I need to find a postal address to send to. I therefore won't start the clock ticking until my posted letter has been received.

In your shoes, I'd do the same. A court will expect written proof of you sending a letter, I don't think sending an email is reliable enough as unless you get a read receipt you can't prove that they received it. A reasonable time is two weeks to respond from the date of your letter or you take it to the next step.
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

If you have their UK address you could take them to small claims court. Process can be started online. I suppose it depends how much the whole palaver is going to end up costing you.....

I'm so glad that we live close to both our rentals and that I have a very handy hubby
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
bessie

Post by bessie »

Post a new date letter,get proof of postage ( are we talking UK) ,state in the letter a given time to respond and amount required.
If no reply fill in CCJ forms,along with copies of your letters both copies.
That's just the start.
Now if you can't find your previous guests ,there is a wonderful company called find a monkey.The last time I used them for a disappearing ast tenant it cost £50 no fee if they can't find them but they do.They all have mobiles ,or a bill of some kind.
My tenant was so shocked that I had found them,that was just the start,got CCJ no payment ,had to find where they worked for attachment of earnings they then changed jobs and the who!e thing has to start again.
Maybe a solicitors letter might be cheaper and quicker way.
Good luck
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

I've corrected the postcode and reprinted the letter, I'll post it special delivery tomorrow, it is uk. I'll re send the email and give them a week. The letter/email also gave them the opportunity to return the key to me and not be charged for that too and I've not had anything from them. They corresponded with me by email and phone during the booking process, so I know they must be receiving my emails, I emailed them asking for payment on their return with no response, hence the decision to request payment again or we go to small claims.

Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Hi Sam: the problem with 'signed for', which is Special delivery these days, is that if they decline to sign for the letter (or they are out during the day, and then don't collect it), then it will be returned to you. By all means send one that way (to see if you can get proof of receipt), but also use proof of posting (which is what Bessie has suggested).
Can you set your e-mail to get a 'read receipt'?
Have a look at the Money Claim on line section of the .gov.uk website for the guidelines before issuing a claim : there is a 'protocol' to follow before resorting to the court process. You have to be seen to be doing everything to avoid going to court.
We've recently filed a claim (this week): if you pm me with your e-mail address, I'll send you a copy of the letter-before-action that we sent, if that helps.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

There are services that enable you to verify if emails have been read. I use Hubspot, which is a Chrome extension, and costs me nothing. I find it most useful. For example scammers rarely read replies, but genuine enquirers do. Keen guests read emails many times!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

bessie wrote:... Now if you can't find your previous guests ,there is a wonderful company called find a monkey ...
Bessie, it's "Finder Monkey", ( https://findermonkey.co.uk/ ) and thanks for the tip. It's a brilliant idea.

Having searched "find a monkey", I have been absorbed for 20 minutes looking at photos of monkeys and all sort of other furry inmates at San Diago Zoo.:lol:
annedab

Post by annedab »

AndrewH wrote: Having searched "find a monkey", I have been absorbed for 20 minutes looking at photos of monkeys and all sort of other furry inmates at San Diago Zoo.:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

A response!

Hi sam in regards to you're email claiming an outstanding balance of just under £300 pounds for a door repair at villa trinity by a local handy man who openly said infront of you're villa representative myself and my partner he was charging 40 euros for each occasion subtotalling to 80 euros for his services , you have charged me my full £300 pounds damage bond for a lock that are £3 to purchase online , so how you conclude just short of £600 pounds is absoloutley unreasonable , the door was not smashed or damage by myself the damage was caused because a non qualified locksmith who regained access to the villa by using a crowbar and a hammer to prize the door open ( I have pictures of him doing this if required ) witch then resulted in him bending the door frame the "handyman" was only used as you're villa rep could not get a locksmith out and did not have a spare key , there was also no signs on ANY of the villa doors stating they where automatic lock doors and cannot be opened from the outside once shut , I find this would be very unsafe for families with young children , I also have several pictures from the property of areas inside and out that where quite frankly discussing , I'm furious with the level of unprofessional tradesmen used on the villa the damage caused by them and the fact it's already cost me £300 pounds then the sheer cheek to invoice me for another £280 approx and threaten me with a court letter to pay , I will not be paying unless a judge tells me to simply because
1 , iv already paid £300 pounds
2 , the damage was not caused by me
3, there was no warnings on any door window or anywhere in the welcome pace regarding automatic locking doors
4 , the villa was not fit for purpose in several places
5 , I have not agreed or signed or seen any terms and conditions or contract where if damage is caused above the £300 damage deposit that I would be liable to pay surely when on average this villa is earning you within excess of 800 per week as a responsible owner this should be rather agreed prior to taking people's money or you should have suitable insurances in place

I look forward to you're reply within the next 14 days
Also pleased don't hesitate to ask for copies of the pictures I have of the door been smashed into or other areas of damage or dirt found around the villa I can also send you my solicitors name and address who has been informed about this situation to enable you're solicitor to get Intouch with him if need be ,
I will be uploading all the pictures and copies of emails from yourself to trip advisor
On failure for you to accept some responsibility

Regulars mr xxxxx

AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Sam V wrote:"I will be uploading all the pictures and copies of emails from yourself to trip advisor
On failure for you to accept some responsibility"
Blackmail.