Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Floorplans - we could add a page showing the house's layout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paolo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floorplans

I do like sites that show floorplans of the house. This is very helpful particularly for the larger group with kids. Small children need monitoring and it is good to know the lie of the land before you commit to staying somewhere for a week.

Another reason I like floorplans is because potential renters look at the bedrooms and bathrooms and start mentally attributing the beds to members of their group. This places them 'in the house', an important psychological step in the booking process.

One reason not to have floorplans would be: small rooms in the house that look bad on a floorplan, even if they are fine in real life.

I think there is free software you can get online to draw floorplans. If anybody has experience of producing floorplans for a website, please tell us about it.

What do you think about floorplans? Would they affect your decision process as a rental-seeker?
DivineMrsM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love floorplans. Particularly for large properties. When organising an annual reunion of 4 families and two couples it really helps to be able to properly work out who can sleep where.

We have them on our site, but my brother in law did them with some builder bloke type software that he has. Him being a builder bloke and all Wink . I haven't seen any free software but I'll post here if I come across some.

I can't honestly say that a lack of floorplans would stop me booking a property. Most places don't have them. Also, when I'm looking for somewhere large enough to accommodate my huge group in the centre of England then there are only a handful of options available to me anyway Sad .
Le Cheval Blanc in France www.lechevalblanc.co.uk
paolo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that you wouldn't NOT choose a place because it has no floorplans, and that very few sites have them. But if you were choosing between only a handful of options, and one did have a floorplan....it COULD be what sways you.

If someone is deciding between two houses they are equally keen on, it will come down to the details. If you have lots of sweeteners working for you, like DVD player, toddler equipment, photo gallery of local area, free telephone, high-speed internet, movie library, jacuzzi bath, dressing gowns, floorplans - any of hundreds of details that will differentiate you from the competition - each of them will persuade a very small number of people to rent your house. The more you have working for you, the more bookings they will win you.

That's the theory anyway! Smile
juco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: floor plans Reply with quote

I would be interested if anyone has the link for free programme for floorplans. In the meantime I use photoshop, by using a couple of `buttons` you can get it to draw straight lines for you by clicking at one spot then move the cursor to another spot click and it will connect the two. Once you get the hang of it its quite easy. You can also alter the thickness of the lines.

Juco
BrendanGFC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Floor Plans Reply with quote

Microsoft Visio is a cracking programme for doing floor plans and various other things that might come in useful on a website. Its also pretty user friendly even for the less experienced.
paolo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, BrendanGFC!

That Microsoft Visio is about $170 or £150 in the UK.

There is shareware available, if you look on this site which Alan posted:

http://www.shareware.com/

Search for 'drafting' brings these results:

http://shareware.search.com/search?cat=247&tag=ex.sa.fd.srch.sa_all&q=drafting

If you try them out, let us know what you thought.

What I would like to see is how a floorplan looks with any given program - if you can post an example that would be really handy.
paolo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another floorplan program, SmartDraw. It's $149, but you get a 30-day free trial, so perhaps you can do all you need to do in that time:

http://www.smartdraw.com/exp/fpn/examples/index.htm?exp=fpn&utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=website&utm_content=textexample_fpn
SCUBA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Floorplans Reply with quote

I agree about the need for floor plans. This task is on my winter "to do list" since I spent an incredible amount of time answering questions about each of the four bedrooms. A picture could save a thousand words for me.
Sue Dyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll have a go at the floorplans too. My bro in law is a builder and will have software.
I wonder about including the garden too as I say "large" enclosed garden, which it is for a small cottage but folk might think that's like one of those "2 minutes to the beach" misleading statements.
Actually, thinking out loud I think I have some garden planning software I got free - that will be fun to play with over the holidays recreating my cottage garden with the annoying Alan Titchmarsh. (He's sooo pleased with himself, isn't he?)
paolo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue,

I think my wife has that same Titchmarsh CD-ROM - some garden planning thing that didn't do what it was supposed to. I am not a fan of the Titchmarsh, and what I call him when his bouncy grinning face pops up on the telly cannot be reproduced here.

In January I am going to download the trial versions of various floorplans programs and see what they are like. I'll publish the results here if I can work them.
Sue Dyer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being way off topic here but:
Quote:
I am not a fan of the Titchmarsh, and what I call him when his bouncy grinning face pops up on the telly cannot be reproduced here

Those gardener/diy people on TV are just too much for words. I think their dazed smirk that they got a break and someone is paying them mega bucks to be annoying just say's it all. Don't get me started on Tommy Walsh...
A guy I worked with said that's why it's impossible to get a plumber/workman these days - cos they've all got their own telly shows.....
I've actually heard that some older women think Titchmarsh is "cute"... blurgh...
debk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Smartdraw Sample Floorplan Reply with quote

I downloaded the 30-day free trial Smartdraw software in October and added floorplans to my website in an afternoon.

I still have not re-laid out that page so everything is too crowded... but if you want to see a Smartdraw floorplan sample, feel free to look at the "Casa Joaquina" page at VisitingPortugal.com

People love the floorplans. A woman called recently to talk about which rooms she was planning to have her kids stay in, etc, to get my input. I think the floorplans were a big selling point... even on the slap-it-on-the-net page that I'm currently using. Smile I'm a fan!

Feliz Natal,
debk
A-two

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: From the department of something is better than nothing..... Reply with quote

Driven by impatience and the desire for instant results a few weeks ago, I drew a very basic layout on squared paper with a ruler and black pen, adding hand written notes, then took a digital snap. The whole process took an hour. Zero cost.

Of course there's no comparison with the detail and accuracy of professional software solutions, and it was always my intention to replace these with something better when I found time and patience to add yet another software program to my learning curve.

Meanwhile, I find I quite like the hand drawn, shaded, sketchy feel of these plans, not exactly sure why, but hesitant to replace them with what to me looks like a solution for a Real Estate Agent's sales brochure for a new housing complex, or a 5 star resort.

We're selling an unpretentious beach house in a stunning and very natural setting. That's what makes us special and attracts our guests. Although I'd like to see improvements to the detail and accuracy of these rough sketches, I'm now thinking that it's more appropriate for us to keep the more freindly, casual, hand drawn style for this section of the website.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Last edited by A-two on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
debk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Hand-drawn floorplans Reply with quote

Hi, Joanne -
I've being meaning to visit your site because I greatly enjoy your postings here and with the yahoo vacation-rentals group. I finally popped over today and your vacation home is beautiful, your website very lovely and, yes, I think your hand-drawn plans look fine just as they are. They even give a "homey", more personal feel to your site. Congrats!
debk
HolidayWebs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite agree - the hand drawn plans are fine & your place especially with the private beach looks wonderful. I particularly like the pages of photos for each part of the property & the FAQ. Excellent!

Zelda.
How to build your own personal website from scratch