Website Review Please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
propertytorent

Website Review Please

Post by propertytorent »

zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Propertytorent, ( my comment, for what it's worth) as soon as you can, I would replace the photo of the apartment on the home page with one that is blue sky/sunny, rather than dark cloudy skies.

You do have some stunning photographs in the website which are very beautiful but people may not get that far when they see the storm clouds!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I like the front page - however the other pages have a problem with needing to scroll to see the information. Three quarters of the page on my screen is taken up with the heading. The pictures are good - however the gallery is slow when displaying one picture at a time - slide-view and the thumbnails are too small in the thumbnail view. Having the background image behind the thumbnails means that the images are difficult to see (the page scrolls on top of the background, so it depends on what part of the background image is displayed where the thumbnails are)
The availability calendar opens in a new tab - this is not a good idea as it makes navigation back to your site less intuitive.

It would be good to have some more information for example
Is the apartment suitable for children - I'm assuming not as you haven't mentioned it? Parking? What floor is it on? Do I have to climb lots of stairs?

On an iPhone, the menu is almost invisible - it's very small letters with white on a pale background and unless you zoom in, you don't see it. It doesn't appear at all mobile friendly.

Sorry to be so negative about the site - just needs a bit more work to make it show off the apartment at its best.
propertytorent

Post by propertytorent »

Thank you!
I appreciate the feedback.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

As others say, the background pictures are stunning. I know that I myself have pinched the odd generic picture here and there, modified it and used it as a graphic but just how many of those very prominent pictures are not yours? I was able to find many at random using Google image search.

Moving on, the overall look is sharp and modern but a bit large, even on a large display. The content is always below the fold. One of the biggest criticisms of Wix is that they still don't provide responsive templates, which they promised years ago.

The Wix banners send out the wrong message.

Page visit counters are considered tacky and have no place on a business website.

The content is in odd places. For example details on how close the apartment is to the bakery is on the home page. The key details are almost lost on the home page. In terms of content, there's not very much at all on the whole website. Far less detail in fact than you'd find in any online listing site. There are some photos but no descriptions. The lack of content will be very bad for SEO.
propertytorent

Post by propertytorent »

This was my first time creating a website. I'm learning as I go.

Thank you all for the comments and recommendations.
I will work on updating the website over the next couple of months.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

propertytorent wrote:This was my first time creating a website. I'm learning as I go.
An important part of the learning curve is not stealing other people's copyrighted photographs from the internet to pass off as your own. As kev has indicated, they're not difficult to find and the chances are that the copyright holders will come after you and that could get embarrassing, messy and expensive.

Far better to shoot your own pix or pay a professional to do this for you. Or negotiate a user's licence with the owners of the internet photos, that way everything is above board (apologies if you have already done this ...?).
Jim
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

I would definitely get a professional photographer in.