Have I got a key-logger on my pc or what?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
tavi

Have I got a key-logger on my pc or what?

Post by tavi »

So, I'm on Ownersdirect using an incognito window - searching for dates and prices in my area. I type a precise set of dates, 8 to 18th July, into OD's search box. I get the search results fine.

But I also get a new tab opening, minimized. Wondering what it is, I enlarge the minimised tab to find that I'm on some kind of website called Clickstayz dot com which has a Tripadvisor Icon in one corner and a booking dot com screen behind it and is offering to show me all the options it has for my dates 8 to 18 July. Now how did that happen? Since I only typed my dates directly into the OD search box...not into Google.. :?
Essar

Post by Essar »

The clickstayz.com url is taken but there doesn't seem to be a website to go with it. However, the Twitter & FaceBook pages for this url are blocked by my security system as being unsafe.

Clickstay.com is a genuine site and is owned by RentalSystems.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Exactly the same thing happened to me, Tavi, on an incognito check on my VRBO listing! I thought I had clicked on something within the listing which brought it up but I couldn't see an ad. I closed it hurriedly.
tavi

Post by tavi »

ah that's interesting Felicity.

What freaked me out was the fact that the page was quoting me and naming the dates I'd typed into the OD search box. Like how does it know the dates I typed into OD? Is it my computer that's not secure, or OD's site, or what?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

tavi wrote:Like how does it know the dates I typed into OD?
I don;t know if you have also noticed that adverts on places like Facebook will offer you holiday rentals at your own property ! Now thats weird.

Its all done with cookies. OD will write a cookie with some special codes that they then sell to whoever wants to pay them money. I don't know exactly how it all works, but the important thing is that your computer is not compromised by scammers, just by questionable large business practices.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
tavi

Post by tavi »

e-richard wrote:
tavi wrote:Like how does it know the dates I typed into OD?
I don;t know if you have also noticed that adverts on places like Facebook will offer you holiday rentals at your own property ! Now thats weird.

Its all done with cookies. OD will write a cookie with some special codes that they then sell to whoever wants to pay them money. I don't know exactly how it all works, but the important thing is that your computer is not compromised by scammers, just by questionable large business practices.
yup I get the cookies bit e-R - it was the fact that they knew which dates I'd selected for my stay....and that it was the direct competition (!).... learn something new every day!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The problem with cookies is that they are often "brokered" through independent advertising resale merchants to all and sundry and blocks on competitors may be poorly implemented. Hope that helps a little.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Thank you for the answer, e-Richard.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

It's not a problem with your computer, tavi. I experimented with a general search on OD last night and saw the little screen, but it was blank and said "www.clicktripz(dot)com". I also scrolled down a bit and got a google ad. in Greek about hair-loss.

OD must have read your post, because on making the same search today, all these additional delights were missing!
CSE

Post by CSE »

RE tracking cookies.
Try using Ghostery.
https://www.ghostery.com/try-us/downloa ... extension/
Works wonders for stopping those pesky things.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

If using an incognito window, I thought it wouldn't store cookies on your computer?
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I don't fully understand it but you might:

http://www.traveldailymedia.com/feature ... tripz-com/

Something to do with monetizing visitors who don't book. What's not to like?
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
tavi

Post by tavi »

interesting thanks Ben.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

This clicktripz is getting very cheeky. They have got some deal on with TripAdvisor. I did a test viewing of my OD page (i.e. with the Homeaway group) and put in some dates. I find there is a "pop-under" ad. from TripAdvisor for hotels right within my location and they have even inserted the pretend dates which I put in my OD test viewing.

Oh yes. OD quoted another £89 (6%) on top of the listed price for the 7-nights test period, but strangely enough the price list is still showing the proper prices. Also my own website address is still displayed.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I find there is a "pop-under" ad. from TripAdvisor for hotels right within my location and they have even inserted the pretend dates which I put in my OD test viewing.

Yes, Andrew that's what I found scary - I was on OD, and communicating privately as it were with OD....to find my search replicated by a separate site is kind of chilling. There's obviously a deal going on between them.

Do you have alternative payments enabled on OD?