Damaged vinyl settees

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
rammy100

Damaged vinyl settees

Post by rammy100 »

We have two settees covered in black vinyl.....sort of faux leather. We bought them as they were easy to keep clean and thought they would be less likely to become stained than cloth covered chairs.

However, the vinyl has become severely damaged over the years through heavy wear and tear but the structure of the settees is fine.

Does anyone know of a product to repair or cover the vinyl? For now I have put covers over them which is OK but not ideal as I'm a bit of a fidget and they get displaced.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and buy new settees?

Many thanks.
Here we go again........
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Which would be more cost effective and/or easier for you to deal with?
a) Have the settees re-upholstered in a similar faux leather as this has withstood quite a lot of hard wear and tear,
or
b) buy new (or good quality used) settees?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
russellt

Re: Damaged vinyl settees

Post by russellt »

rammy100 wrote:severely damaged over the years through heavy wear and tear
Sounds like their current state of repair is doing your business no favours. So, if they've been written-down in your books, replace them.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I say replace them with something more hard wearing. It's not cost effective to try and recover them. Even loose covers are expensive and are a bit grannyish. I made the same mistake with wooden kitchen chairs. The seats are absolutely wrecked, so I've put cushion pads on them. I'm convinced it is jeans buttons sliding on them. Vinyl is just too vulnerable a material unless you really take care, and we all know that just won't happen!
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Thanks for your replies and yes I know really that replacements are the only real way to go. The temporary throws on them actually look ok so I may go with them for a while.

I was rather hoping someone had come across some sort of miracle cure but I know I was clutching at straws.

As it happens these settees have been in a place rented on a medium and long term basis and they have (no idea how) survived loads of students but they met their nemesis in the guy who's just moved out. Thta's a story for another day though.

Anyway, many thanks again.
Here we go again........