Edinburgh bookings down?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
honeysuckle34

Edinburgh bookings down?

Post by honeysuckle34 »

Hello
Am noticing very slow take-up this year.
Is this the impact of a glut of airbnb offerings in town?
Or is everyone having a quiet time - outside the Scottish capital too?

Would be interested to hear.

Thanks
hs
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi hs,

& Welcome.

I'm not in the same market as you but my UK customers are booking very late this year.

No idea what else to advise but others will be along no doubt.

P.s. you have a message on your website from someone who's tried to book thru Airbnb! (and isn't getting an answer) ??????????
honeysuckle34

Post by honeysuckle34 »

Ha ! Thanks Paolo
How can you see my website from here?
Did I link to it?

Yes, I've followed that up but I think there's something weird. She hasn't called me back/telephoned. airbnb don't know what's going on either.

Maybe I just opened my calendars too late.

We'll see what happens.
hs
tavi

Post by tavi »

Yes you have a link to your website on the bottom of all your posts!

Mine is not linked but it's in my profile.

If I were you I would reply to the message on your website - even if the enquirer doesn't get it...it looks better. If I were a guest and saw an unanswered message it wouldn't make me inclined to book!
honeysuckle34

Post by honeysuckle34 »

Thanks - good idea. I just responded on the site.
Not sure if she thinks I'm 'Boughton' instead of 'Broughton place'. I get a lot of their emails - and they never say thanks for forwarding them on.

Hope you have a hectic season ahead.

Cheers!
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Hey,

I'm in Edinburgh too and suppose seeing a little slower than last year and I do believe it's due to the many people thinking they can now just make a quick buck out of sticking their flats on the usual websites.

I've also kept quite long minimum stays but reducing them shortly to try and get the bookings in.

Finding the smaller properties booking much quicker than family apartments (my studio apartment sold out til end September, except 1 week by end of 2015 I think).

I'm sure the bookings will come though!
honeysuckle34

Post by honeysuckle34 »

Hi there
Thanks for the response ECA

Useful to know that there is slow movement in some sectors and not in others.
Just a bit boring to still keep focused on getting bookings at this stage when usually you can put max energy into running the actual changeovers/guests etc.

Ah well. I had a few v good years but always thought it wouldn't last.

hs
Last edited by honeysuckle34 on Wed May 25, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
JagsR

Slowly does it

Post by JagsR »

We're new to the game, but have been surprised at the lack of take up, especially for July. May was (relatively) OK and June weekends are all right, but despite lowering prices, finding it hard to get on the ladder at all. We advertise through our agent, Airbnb and Holidaylettings.
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Hello JagsR,

Where is your agent advertising as that may be the issue?

Are they charging you a commission % or a fixed fee as that may help or hinder their enthusiasm for getting bookings.

What rates and min stay are you looking for, for July?

My properties are actually doing fairly well for July, many with nice longer stays of 5-7 nights so you should really be getting booked.

The reason probably lies in where you're being advertised and at what rate.
JagsR

Bookings in Edinburgh

Post by JagsR »

Have pm'd you, EdinburghCityApartments.

Regards
honeysuckle34

Post by honeysuckle34 »

Hi Jags
Glad you're finding some support.
I think there is a huge increase in offers of £30 a night for two on airbnb which will be taking a lot of business. Unfortunately, these hosts are often finding that the guests' behaviour and treatment of their property tends to align with these cheap rates!

I've just had a flurry of bookings so some improvement.
But funny July still only half full.

But then the overall tourism figures in Scotland were down for last year, apparently. Maybe there's a slide for the country as a whole. Though I had a busy time last year.
hs
JagsR

Edinburgh bookings down

Post by JagsR »

Hi Honeysuckle,

Thanks for your input. £30 per night wouldn't cover the cost of the cleaners, and I'd certainly not be willing to risk my flat for that!

Glad that your bookings are picking up. I've had a few "tyre-kickers" recently through airbnb so there's some interest, but getting anxious as time wears on....

Regards

Jan
russellt

Post by russellt »

Hey all you Edinburgh accomm providers. Can any of you do 3 consecutive nights out of 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th August? Am looking for reasonably close to city centre. 2 adults.

PM me if you have some options.

thx.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
honeysuckle34

Post by honeysuckle34 »

Hi Russell
Thanks for the enquiry.
August bank holiday weekend is a guaranteed sell-out in Edinburgh, end of the festival etc.

Will let you know if any cancellations with me.

Regards
hs
russellt

Post by russellt »

honeysuckle34 wrote: August bank holiday weekend is a guaranteed sell-out
Yes, i can understand that. Thanks. There are still some options around.

It has been interesting to be the 'buyer' this time, and use all the search tools available. There is still something of a 'lottery' feel about the process, which is perhaps part of the excitement of the holiday booking process.

And as the primary sorting criteria is 'price', the big sites don't really help themselves or the casual enquirer by loading up literally hundreds of inappropriate alternatives. I wonder how many enquirers use the more refined 'locality' search criteria, crucial for a city break search.

I can also see that the way providers respond to negative reviews has a significant emotional bearing on their relative attractiveness to enquirers. IMHO, a 'Mr/Ms Angry' response to a criticism multiplies the negative effect of the original criticism.

This has been a worthwhile exercise(I recommend all LMHers try it), and hopefully i can find some suitable accommodation too.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage