can we talk shower cubicle cleaning please?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
tavi

can we talk shower cubicle cleaning please?

Post by tavi »

My bathroom renovation now has a 1.2m x 80 cm shower cubicle with two fixed glass panels and two sliding glass doors.

Anyone got any tips for a fast, spotless clean on changeover? I've tried standing inside it, squirting with bathroom cleaner, spraying with the shower hose etc. I end up soaked to the skin and so does half the floor.

Then I have to go back to dry it, then to polish it, then to clean the shower base which then splashes the glass I've just cleaned.

Then I tried cleaning it with my window sponge on a handle but I still need to do the base and the sliders.

There must be a better, faster way? What tools/products do you use?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Aldi anti limescale spray cleaner and a dry cloth... works a treat on our 3 cubicles, 1 bath and 1 tiled shower... 5 min good wipe and it's sparkling!
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks gmj - so talk me through it, (please) is this with water or without? 5 mins wiping or waiting? I really AM that dim :lol:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

You need a Karcher window vac, tavi: https://www.kaercher.com/uk/home-garden/window-vac.html

Spray shower panels with white vinegar, rub them over with the cleaning tool, vacuum off the dirty water. Polish off the odd streak with a blue e-cloth. Job done, quickly and beautifully.

I couldn't manage without mine - I've had it for nearly 4 years and it's cut down the time it takes to clean my shower screens by 90%. And it's just as good on windows.

And make sure you provide a rubber squeegee for your guests - if they use it after every shower that will make your life even easier!
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Another vote for a karcher window vac. I would not be without mine.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

and another Karcher fan here.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

tavi wrote:thanks gmj - so talk me through it, (please) is this with water or without? 5 mins wiping or waiting? I really AM that dim :lol:
That's without water - I've never found water adds anything to the clean except more time and mess. Assuming it's no more than normally grubby, of course!
mmg

Post by mmg »

The window vac sounds great, I'm going to look for one online now.

For the sliding panel tracks I squirt with anti bac then use a toothbrush and/or q tips to clean it out before cleaning the base.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

The Karcher window vac is one of the best inventions ever. I've started using it on tiled walls and occasionally wet floors when in a hurry. if you have small windows or mirrors get the smaller head as well.
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks everyone - you've given me some useful ideas.

My glass sliding panels have a release spring at the bottom so I can clean the tracks (supposedly).

8)
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I use white vinegar applied with a (used) green scourer if the water marks are bad, followed by a quick spray of clear window cleaner and a polish with a soft cloth. Today's changeover was just the window cleaner - lovely guests, left the whole place really clean!
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Anti calc liquid, hot shower rinse and rubber squeegee here. A couple of paper towels or cloth to remove the last small streaks. Ever seen a professional window cleaner needing an electric device?
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Plain water on a damp microfibre cloth, dry with a dry mf cloth, then polish with polishing cloth. The base and walls I squirt with Ecover bathroom cleaner, rub around with mf cloth, wipe off with separate damp cloth and dry with dry cloth. Get into the groove and it's done in 10 minutes or less. I always have at least 6 or 7 mf cloths in my changeover bag, and another 6 polishing cloths.
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
tavi

Post by tavi »

thanks kev and jemima

yup microfibre cloths great, and a good idea to have loads as once they get a little bit greasy or dusty they don't work so well. Must buy more.

Can see now that actually drenching the shower screen wasn't really necessary and that's probably what was creating all the extra work.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

and, as has been said on a thread a year or two back, hoover the shower tray, bath and basin before getting anything wet, otherwise the hairs just get moved around by the cloth, not picked up.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day