Save 5 euros and attract the French market!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Paul Carmel

Save 5 euros and attract the French market!

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

Just renewed our HR listing for the next year, and they want 99 euros for the French version :shock: :shock: Since we have been on it we have had only one enquiry and no bookings. How has anyone else done? And has anyone else opted to pay the extra €99? This was the first I heard about (admitting being out of the loop for a while ) now having to pay to be on the French version - if it's the case that you only start paying once your renewal comes up then surely that's not really fair that some get a few more months for free!?? Anyway if you're looking to increase French bookings, Homelidays.com gave us 10 weeks worth of French clients this year, and they are a fiver cheaper........
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Paul. I'm confused - didn't H-R announce a few months ago that they were doing away with the French site? Our property was listed on this (free translation etc) but we didn't get a saucisson.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We got a dribble at the beginning, but it tapered off. I don't think my dodgy French helped, and I did get the feeling that our requests for money up-front and deposits were a turn-off. Our response has been both French and Swiss.

Having said that, our most successful rent this year was to a French guy who spoke better English than I do, so not sure whether to continue for another year. It was a free translation after all, so not bad value for copy which could be used elsewhere.

(La?) Chèvre
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Agree MG - kept the translation - might well come in handy another time - house swaps in Nouvelle Caledonie or Martinique come to mind! :D
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

MG,

You're right, but below is a copy and paste of the extra services they offer.

Introductory offer! Advertise on our French site @ €101.88 12 months
One-off English to French translation @ €36.50
One-off French to English translation @ €36.50
Golf index @ €29.88 12 months
Ski index @ €45.00 12 months
Second page text @ €22.56 12 months
Extra photo @ €7.44 each 12 months 01234
Additional unit @ €60.00 each 12 months 012345
Direct address @ €15.00
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

Methinks when they do allow a link to your personal website, it is going to be at quite a price...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Paolo! don't give them any revolutionary ideas, it's expensive as it is. Do we know if big brother ever looks in on this forum?
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh yes Paul - you were still on the high seas when some of us received emails from the new H-R Sales Manager, David Kingsley, in response to some comments made here. I am sure all the listing sites dip in and out of this forum; it's a useful resource for them too. But if there's anything you don't wish them to know, but want to share, phone a friend!
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Paul,

Does big brother view this forum? Totally & without any doubt, see my comment on 4 American listing sites. Mind you, it is good business sense to do so.

Also on a previous thread, anyone who was at all critical about HR received a personal email from them. Again good sense, but also a bit of divide & conquer??

Their 'extras' policy, together with lack of stats & lack of link are my issues with them, but I think I would forgive them if they provided me bookings, which they don't.

Robert

GG You beat me to it, but here is my post anyway.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

oooherr can't wait for my slap on the wrist.
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I like the fact that I can link to their availability calendar from the French version of my own website, but I won't pay when the renewal comes up. I've had a few enquiries, but usually for weeks already booked and not one booking. In contrast I get many more bookings from the other French sites I advertise on.
I'm not going to knock H-R, though, as they provide me with a very nice number of UK bookings, despite the fact there is no link! However, it would be nice if they did a stats package like holidaylets.net do.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It's still useful to have a 100% French version of the site with an auto-up-to-date availability calendar which we can link to, and the multi-currency table is neat.

It really needs a booking or two a year to justify the cost.

Though not sure what the extra French version cost is for us - we're 4 units (i.e. chalet with option to take it as 3 apartments), so I've asked HR for a price. If it's the whole kaboodle it's worth it, if not, it isn't.

Chèvre de la montagne?
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

H-R used to be my main source of bookings, but over the years it gets less and less, this year 2 bookings for 1 week a peace.

We have gone for another year, but the jury is out :?
Cheers
PC
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Not a great return Paul, :(

I dont think my jury would be out.I think it would have done a runner. :shock: :cry:

Was thinking of H-R, but dont think so now :roll: :cry:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Our tally is 23 bookings (not weeks - nearer 40 if weeks) with HR in our first 12 months.

OwnersDirect - 1 (only live with them for 3 weeks)

Another outfit - seriously obscure - 1 firm (around 40+ Christmas and New Year booking enquiries - currently getting hysterical maybe it's the snowy pics) with a 'voluntary' commission of 5%.

2 - 3 others - 0 (though SlowTrav looking good for 2007)

Own website - 0 (not gone live)

Scam bookings - 50+?

Remainder - friends, friends-of-friends, freeloaders.

Goat