Credit card payment

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Mouse

Credit card payment

Post by Mouse »

Hopefully sold my last August week.via my own website BUT cent wants to pay via CC.

Initially thought paypal but it won't let me put in details of my uk bank account (where I accept payments.) I assume because I'm in Spain?

Is there another way I can accept cc's without having to resort to gong via one of the rental websites?

Here's hoping
Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Would be interested in the answer Mouse, as I don't know and probably ought to be getting ready for the same problem.

I've totally given up on Paypal - I tried to use it several times to shop online with my credit card but it just won't accept my UK card with a European billing address.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I think you can pay Transferwise with credit card.

Not sure what the problem with PayPal is but I know it can be difficult. My main account is in France but I don't live there. I was also able to setup a new PayPal account in Switzerland using all different details.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

They could get their credit card company to issue a cheque?
http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk ... heques.asp

That way, they are still paying by credit card (but there is an extra charge) but you are getting a cheque.

Of course, I am assuming here that they want to pay using a UK credit card.
Last edited by FelicityA on Fri May 20, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Mouse, I see your problem. If a card payment through Transferwise (as Kevin has suggested) doesn't work, and you don't want to direct your guests to the Owners Direct card payment system, and no other suggested method works, then PM me, because I have a cunning plan.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

As kev says, Transferwise should work if they're UK guests, Mousie - you can certainly pay by credit card in sterling.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh Andrew I'm intrigued! :D

Transferwise won't work as it seems to be only for fx transfers, this is a uk to uk payment.

I have just got off the phone to paypal and they've explained, eventually, that I have to set up a new UK based account with them. That will then allow uk cc to uk bank payments.
However I do need to get something better set up I fear as the costs are fairly high to the client (which hopefully will put him off the idea).

I've been given a link to a company called Procure.io so need to look in to that and see if the costs are better and I can do uk to uk.

Andrew....pm incoming!

Mousie
x
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Just a thought - not for now, maybe, but for the future: Transferwise payments are so cheap and with a direct payment link, now so simple (and quick - mine almost always arrive the same day so it's effectively instant) that you could maybe think about receiving payments in euros instead of sterling, Mousie?

Presumably as you live in Ibiza full time you have to transfer the funds yourself anyway ...
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Mouse wrote:Oh Andrew I'm intrigued! :D

Transferwise won't work as it seems to be only for fx transfers, this is a uk to uk payment.

I have just got off the phone to paypal and they've explained, eventually, that I have to set up a new UK based account with them. That will then allow uk cc to uk bank payments.
However I do need to get something better set up I fear as the costs are fairly high to the client (which hopefully will put him off the idea).

I've been given a link to a company called Procure.io so need to look in to that and see if the costs are better and I can do uk to uk.

Andrew....pm incoming!

Mousie
x
Did Paypal say you had to have a UK bank account linked to a UK address, Mouse? I am interested as I have the opposite situation in that I have a UK PayPal account (with UK bank and UK address) but I need an Ireland PayPal account to get Euros into an Irish Bank BUT this is linked to an English address and I understood that your bank account had to be registered to the country it was in for PayPal to accept it? Perhaps they are now accepting a bank account registered to an address in a different country (in your case, UK bank account, address, Spain?) Changing currencies within PayPal is akin to daylight robbery.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm not really following the problem. I only use one Paypal account for all rentals, linked to a Euro account. I take payments from many countries and simply tell the guest to lookup the rate on Google or their bank and pay that amount.

If you price in £ and your Paypal is in Euros, then you simply say that you can only accept credit card payments if in Euros and it would be "xxx Euros" which is calculated from today's rate. They pay this through your Paypal with a credit card and it goes to the account linked to Paypal.

Having this combination is obviously inconvenient and needs fixing later so you are dealing in just one currency.

What am I missing?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Well we've just set it up on uk paypal.
Felicity they didn't mention anything about the address but when Mr M set it up he used his parents address (just to be sure, as we need to get over this issue now and ponder what system to use after)
Anyway....it seems to have worked even though our account isn't linked to that address at all, and we're not on an electoral register.
Maybe it will be bounced, but if so we can change the account address to his parents. We have done that before.
So it may be worthwhile setting it up on the Irish paypal and put in your Irish address against your Irish account?

FC...yes I do understand what you say about the euro payments. But it suits us personally at the mo to have payments made to a uk account (we support a family member, and we spend quite a lot of £'s personally). Also, call me silly but I like the fact that it also makes it easier for our (mainly) uk clients. But I do agree that payment in euros would be the easiest way.

Ok....I'll let you know on the paypal thing, and will also explore the other option suggested. I've emailed them asking if they can do a uk to uk payment with me being in Spain.

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Fri May 20, 2016 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

If you price in £ and your Paypal is in Euros, then you simply say that you can only accept credit card payments if in Euros and it would be "xxx Euros" which is calculated from today's rate. They pay this through your Paypal with a credit card and it goes to the account linked to Paypal.
I price in £'s and want to be paid £'s in to a uk account. PayPal will only allow me to accept payment in to a euro account as I'm in Spain. I can not link a uk bank account to a spanish paypal account.

Mouse
x
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Mouse wrote:Well we've just set it up on uk paypal.
Felicity they didn't mention anything about the address but when Mr M set it up he used his parents address (just to be sure, as we need to get over this issue now and ponder what system to use after)
Anyway....it seems to have worked even though our account isn't linked to that address at all, and we're not on an electoral register.
Maybe it will be bounced, but if so we can change the account address to his parents. We have done that before.
So it may be worthwhile setting it up on the Irish paypal and put in your Irish address against your Irish account?

FC...yes I do understand what you say about the euro payments. But it suits us personally at the mo to have payments made to a uk account (we support a family member, and we spend quite a lot of £'s personally). Also, call me silly but I like the fact that it also makes it easier for our (mainly) uk clients. But I do agree that payment in euros would be the easiest way.

Ok....I'll let you know on the paypal thing, and will also explore the other option suggested. I've emailed them asking if they can do a uk to uk payment with me being in Spain.

Mouse
x
I hope it works for you Mouse. I seem to be caught in catch22. I was told a while ago when I spoke to PayPal that I couldn't receive Euros and then disburse directly to my Euro bank account on my current PayPal set up. I would have to change them into pounds to get them out of PayPal as you couldn't have two bank accounts linked to one account. Then, of course, I would have to change them back into Euros to pay my bills! So that means a totally separate new PayPal account which is what you are setting up.

Conversely, that I couldn't have an Irish PayPal account because my credit card (you have to register one with them, don't you) account was registered to an English address. Obviously I have an Irish address but as I am not resident there, my bank account and (Irish) credit card are linked to my English address. I think once you put in your credit card details then it might be flagged as it will be linked to a Spanish address. I will be interested to hear how you get on.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Felicity you're correct! Having spent all bleeding day on it and successfully raising an invoice we noticed that the limit was set at £2k which is too low for us. So on requesting the limit to be raised that kicked in all sorts like asking for proof of address (bills) etc.

So....back on the phone to paypal and it turns out exactly as you say. We can not trade in the uk unless we have a uk address we can prove.

I also asked what if I hadn't requested the limit to be raised....would I have been able to continue with that account. I was told that as all my invoices raised would be from Spain (they can tell you IT location) then questions would be flagged against the account and our access would be blocked.

So.....there we go. I imagine it's to do with money laundering? I can't see why I can't have money paid in to my UK a/c that I've had for 30 odd yrs....but that's the world today.

I have yet to receive an answer from procuro but I'm not holding my breath it will be any different.

So if I want to accept cc payments in future via paypal I will have to do it in euros in to my spanish account.

After all this I bet he comes back to tell me they're not booking because they can't secure the dog sitter :roll:

Exhausted Mousie
x
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That's odd as I have been raising invoices from a UK IP address for payment to my French PP account for almost 10 years. I have had the account verified, and my address with the bank is my UK one. The limit was raised ages ago, so maybe rules have changed.