Your listing link on the FB message section of HA/OD, etc?

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
AngloDutch

Your listing link on the FB message section of HA/OD, etc?

Post by AngloDutch »

What I would think should be fairly simple has turned out quite complicated to achieve for us, and we have spent the good part of an hour trying to achieve the following (I must admit I rarely use FB, but am forcing myself to use and understand it more):

We have always wondered how posters place links to their HA/OD/VR, etc. listings on the 'Message from Visitors' section of the FB page of the listing site ('Message from Visitors', I am translating this from how it appears on Dutch FB, so it may be written differently on the English versions of FB).

By a link, I mean the main photo and short description from your listing, which is generated when you click on the 'share on FB' symbol at the top right-hand corner of your listing (taking VRBO as an example, here).

The only problem is when we click at the bottom of the generated popup, 'Place on FB', it gets of course placed on our own FB page and not on VR.

Trying to do this the other way round, by trying to post directly to 'Message from Visitors', you are only able to import a photo or video along with the text....

Unless I am not seeing something somewhere...

How do the posters on the listing site FB pages do this?
tavi

Post by tavi »

go to your listing - copy the whole address from the address bar at the top and paste it into the OD page.?
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

tavi wrote:go to your listing - copy the whole address from the address bar at the top and paste it into the OD page.?
Tavi, I think the link has to be generated from the HA system. Here is a recent example of what I mean, and how it looks like on the FB page 'messages' section (here VRBO FB page). Any ideas?:

free upload image
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Do exactly as Tavi says. You can see the link at the top of that post; that has generated the image and words within facebook. It's not exclusive to the HA system; any website, whether it's your own or another parties, can be set to generate a set of words and a particular image when the relevant link is posted on facebook.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Nemo wrote:Do exactly as Tavi says. You can see the link at the top of that post; that has generated the image and words within facebook. It's not exclusive to the HA system; any website, whether it's your own or another parties, can be set to generate a set of words and a particular image when the relevant link is posted on facebook.

Thanks, Nemo for the extra info. I thought it would be more complicated than that.

I already attempted this yesterday on the VR FB page and just pasted text and uploaded 1 photo into the message section.
I also added the link to our VR listing as well as a last line in the text, but it didn't generate the same results as in the example below. Maybe because only the URL should be placed in the body of the message and nothing else? I am going to try on HA's FB page now with just the URL....
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

I have just pasted the URL of our listing from HA de (fewo-direkt.de) onto their FB page, but only the URL has been posted on the message section. Any idea what I am doing wrong? :cry:

img
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sometimes Facebook just doesn't pick up the extra info. More of a glitch than anything else. Delete that and try again. I'll see if I can test it for you on my hidden page.

I've tested it on my page and it works, displaying your photo and text, so go ahead and just try again. To delete the one that doesn't display properly, there should be a little arrow that brings up a drop down menu on the top right of your post.

Give it a few seconds before you click the post button. If the image doesn't display, then delete the link and repost the url before you press the button.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Nemo wrote:Sometimes Facebook just doesn't pick up the extra info. More of a glitch than anything else. Delete that and try again. I'll see if I can test it for you on my hidden page.

I've tested it on my page and it works, displaying your photo and text, so go ahead and just try again. To delete the one that doesn't display properly, there should be a little arrow that brings up a drop down menu on the top right of your post.

Give it a few seconds before you click the post button. If the image doesn't display, then delete the link and repost the url before you press the button.

Thanks very much, Nemo :D

I removed and reposted the URL and waited a few seconds and then the main photo and headline text appeared. Now I know how to do this!

I was wondering..can you access HA com on FB where you are, or does it transfer you to the local HA site page? I am seeing what I take to be the HA com FB page with currently 1,469,318 likes, but when I click on it, I get HA nl.....?
tavi

Post by tavi »

and I get HA Portugal - very annoying!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No I get the uk version only. I can also see Arbitel, Asia and Fewo Direct. Clearly Facebook has been set up to send us to our local version only.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

tavi wrote:and I get HA Portugal - very annoying!
Nemo wrote:No I get the uk version only. I can also see Arbitel, Asia and Fewo Direct. Clearly Facebook has been set up to send us to our local version only.
And probably no way to override that anywhere on FB (via settings). I suppose that you would need a VPN to access the HA com page outside of the USA.