Request to put up "friends who are passing through"

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
SPJ

Request to put up "friends who are passing through"

Post by SPJ »

I'd be very grateful for some advice please on how to handle a request from a family of four (2 adults / 2 children) who are staying two weeks in our 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom gite in July.
They tell me some friends are "passing through" and would like to stay "a few nights".

In theory, it's possible (assuming the friends are only 2 people) as there is a large Ikea sofa in the lounge which converts to a good-sized double bed. Last year, I let a family of five stay with the teenage daughter in the lounge at no extra charge.

I'm not thrilled at the thought! Firstly, we don't cater for children (so I was already outside my comfort zone!) and now, suddenly, it seems we are being asked to have 6 people staying!

Do I just smile graciously in the hope that the passing friends pass on quickly and love it so much they decide to book in for next year?

Our rates are £680 per week - how much extra can I reasonably charge for the additional guests?

I'd be grateful for any advice on how to manage this without offending the family of four.

Is it possible to tactfully say that I'm assuming their friends are just a couple and will only be staying a day or two and therefore we are happy to accept them and that there will be an additional charge of X for extra bedding etc?

Thanks for any thoughts / advice / personal experiences. Sue
tavi

Post by tavi »

I only sleep two but last year I had a couple booked in who asked if their 20-something daughter could stay before she flew back to her job in London. I charged them the cost of a set of bed-linen and towels for the sofa-bed rounded up to cover a bit of the utilities.

They were so happy and it gave an extra dimension to their holiday. Of course I knew daughter was flying out so it was literally two or 3 nights.

I'd say yes, of course they can have guests and you'll need to know exactly how many and for exactly how long and you'll give them a price. You're up to your capacity so they can't expect you to allow it for free.

You can always mention insurance legalities if you think they might be tempted to abuse the situation.
greenbarn

Re: Request to put up "friends who are passing through&

Post by greenbarn »

SPJ wrote: Do I just smile graciously in the hope that the passing friends pass on quickly and love it so much they decide to book in for next year?
Probably not the wisest approach. Maybe better to get the boundaries set by asking them to give you more details first - how many people, what ages and for how long - before you can "check if it's possible within the regulations you have to follow, and what the additional cost will be". It's not an unreasonable initial stance, and the guests should respect it; armed with their answer you're in a position to decide how to go ahead, and be in charge of the situation.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I could understand passing through and staying one night, but 'a few nights' is more long term. Definitely ask how long the friends will be staying and charge extra (30€ per night?). Or say that you are worried the house will be too small for 6 people and recommend a nearby B&B and say that their friends are welcome to come during the day.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Very helpful.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I would charge £20 pppn. That's a bit less than your pro rata rate and takes into account the fact that they will be sleeping on a sofa bed in the lounge. I wouldn't do it just for the cost of the extra bedding etc. After all, overcrowding is higher risk to you, and we are running a business not a charity. A hotel wouldn't make extra rooms available for a nominal amount just because someone was passing through.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks everyone. Apparently the "passing friends" are a family of four. Which has made it easy to say no, sorry we don't have the room. I've suggested some local B&Bs.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Double your capacity! :o :shock: But I'm glad it's made the decision much easier for you and easier to justify saying no.
When people are willing to doss down on floors etc, it usually means they are looking for a free bunk, so I would try to check that they don't just do it regardless of you saying no. I live on site but I've still had guests doing things in contravention of my rental terms and also when specifically told no!