Final cleaning clause in rental contract

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Normandy Cow

Final cleaning clause in rental contract

Post by Normandy Cow »

I'm about to revamp our rental contract as we shall be including final cleaning in our prices as from next year.

This is what I have put so far, but I don't think it reads very well..
Final Cleaning
The property is always thoroughly cleaned between lets to ensure it is clean and tidy on your arrival. As per the terms of the rental agreement, please leave the house in a tidy and reasonably clean state, otherwise any extra cleaning will be deducted from your security deposit.
Does anyone have any better suggestions? What do you guys who include final cleaning have in your contracts?

Thanx!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Catherine, this is what is in our terms and conditions:

8. The tenant will be responsible for maintaining the property, furniture, finishings and equipment in the same state as at the commencement of the rental period and will indemnify the landlord against any loss or damage caused by the tenant (or the cost of any non-local telephone calls) in excess of the security deposit referred to in clause 5.

It is repeated in less formal wording in the Guest Manual, by stating 'on your departure day, we ask that you vacate the property by 10.00am so that we can prepare for the next guests. Please do your best to leave the property pretty much as you found it, including disposal of rubbish, bottles etc. The final clean is included, but this is on the basis that everything is in a respectable condition. The cost of any additional cleaning may be deducted from the deposit.'

Much the same as you have phrased it, ie.

It's a bonus when disposal of rubbish etc actually happens, and we don't penalise people for non-compliance. (Nor, in practice, have we needed to charge for non-local calls, except in one case when the client asked in advance if he could bring his laptop.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Gascony Goat wrote:Much the same as you have phrased it
Yes, but yours is better GG!
Thanks! :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Not much Catherine! But good idea to repeat it in your house manual, if you don't already - you probably do.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
jordan2

Contract

Post by jordan2 »

I am just starting out in the rental field.

Do I need a contract with the client. If so, where do I get a master copy from. Can anyone help?

Also, in a dilema with the cleaning situation. I would like to have the price all inclusive but not sure what clients expect from a gite rental. Whether they clean or we clean? If I was on holiday I don't think I'd want to clean a 4 bed house at the end of a holiday?? or is this expected from gite rental.

Also, where does everyone get their template letters, ie booking forms, confirmation of booking etc??

tnks
Ginge
Last edited by jordan2 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jordan2

Contract

Post by jordan2 »

I am just starting out in the rental field.

Do I need a contract with the client. If so, where do I get a master copy from. Can anyone help?

Also, in a dilema with the cleaning situation. I would like to have the price all inclusive but not sure what clients expect from a gite rental. Whether they clean or we clean? If I was on holiday I don't think I'd want to clean a 4 bed house at the end of a holiday?? or is this expected from gite rental.

Also, where does everyone get their template letters, ie booking forms, confirmation of booking etc??

tnks
Ginge
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Catherine,

This is a bit of a mine field. We have been experimenting with a range of ways of putting it. Our cheif concern is that by offering the final clean that people will trash the place.

In order to deal with this issue we have included final clean but not general clean. We offer general clean as a seperate service if they require it. The trick is now how you differentiate it and we have gone through a number of iterations.

I am not for one second saying this is the best anaswer but it seems to be the one that has clarified the situation. We put it in our general conditions and we have a light version for our rental agreement page. Basically the best measure we find is time with some examples

Here is the general conditions version

Obligation to give back the Villa in a reasonable state.

Upon departure, the tenant commits to returning the house in a reasonable state and as tidy as it was found upon arrival. Up to 2 hours cleaning is included in the rate. This includes detail cleaning like window cleaning, dusting, moping the floors. The villa should be broom-cleaned and everything should be returned to their original location. In the event that the villa is returned in a state that will require more than 2 hours cleaning, an amount of 50 euros will be charged for cleaning and deducted from the security deposit.

Furniture and materials on the inventory will be put back in their place.

We actually allow up to four hours before we actually charge with our caretaker so there is little debate for when there is a deduction i.e., the cleaning required is definetly without question more than two hours
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

Missed this, sorry if response is late:

CLEANING UPON VACATING THE PREMISES:
House cleaning is done by the Landlord prior to and at the end of the rental period. There is no daily maid service. If the premises are returned to the Landlord in a condition that require the services of a professional house cleaner for more than 3 hours to restore the premises to substantially the same condition as existed at Check in, fair wear and tear excepted, then the Tenant agrees to pay additional cleaning charges at the rate of $25.00 per hour.

And in answer to Ginge aka Jordan2,
Do I need a contract with the client?
Yes. Please go to the "just starting out" thread and ask for help.... lots of it. My advice is not to rent to anybody until you get a grip on this aspect, or you could be in lots of trouble.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Sound advice as usual Joanna :)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Should guests be responsible for cleaning the cooker and log/stove/fire before they leave !!

Sometimes our guest's clean them sometimes they dont'...

Should I put it in our T&C's that they will be charged if they don't clean them..what would you do....

Thanks
A-two

Post by A-two »

Stephen,
All these items would seem to be part of a normal house clean at your place. Would you want to spend your hard earned vacation time cleaning a cooker and log/stove/fire on your last day? I thought not. Your choice is to include cleaning in the rent and raise your rate to cover the extra, (my preference), or exclude it from the rent and offer it as an optional extra for those who would like to save the extra payment (some people don't cook or want to use log/stove/fires and would appreciate not being charged for it). The third choice (insist they do it or else) is not an attractive option for any guest to my way of thinking.
Last edited by A-two on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
debk

Post by debk »

Should guests be responsible for cleaning the cooker . . .
We had this problem with our BBQs. There just wasn't time to do a full-scale, filthy BBQ cleanup on a back-to-back turnover.

What we did was leave some super-serious scrubbing devices with the BBQs and ask people to either (a) give the BBQs a good scrub while things are still hot -- when it's so much easier -- or (b) pay a €35 BBQ cleaning fee.

Some people make "executive decisions", as one guest put it, to pay the €35. But, fortunately, most everyone gives a good scrub, making it a simple process to wipe off anything else and have the BBQ in good order for the next guests.

I wish we didn't have to ask this of our guests but, before we did, the dirty BBQs were such a problem we considered getting rid of them. And what good is a big ole', sunny Lisbon terrace without grilled sardines??? 8)
debk
A-two

Post by A-two »

Good point Debk. I agree there is a limit to the time available on a back to back changeover (which is most of them), to deal with these things and that an extra charge for a particularly time consuming job is useful as a deterrent. Worth thinking about doing that!

However, using your system, if Stephen's guests cleaned his oven immaculately, but left something else in a state that took just as long to clean, he could not be reimbursed because he'd only singled out the oven for a possible extra charge. Whereas under our system, the amount of cleaning we include in the rent is agreed in terms of hours it takes in total, not by any particular aspect. So my point was that cleaning a cooker and wood burner would be regarded as part of that normal clean for Stephen's house, and therefore ought not to be charged as an extra if left in a normal state after normal use. If the oven AND everything else were left in a very messy state, then an excess cleaning charge could be made on the basis of hours, regardless of which appliance it may be that has tipped the scales.

Certainly worth reviewing at regular intervals to see where improvements could be made, but I still think everyone's best interests are pretty well covered by the clause I shared above.

Useful thread, thanks for posting Stephen... :)
debk

Post by debk »

Yes, we're constantly tweaking these things and nipping ideas from LMH. :)

Fortunately, we've never had any real messes, just people being forgetful about the BBQs.

It's most probable that the €35 fee isn't making a difference; more likely just the fact that, if they say they intend to use the BBQ, I now ask nicely that they give a scrub afterwards while things are still hot. The answer is always a wide-eyed "why, yes, of course!" as if only a moron would leave gunk baked on the grill.

But prior to my mentioning it, it was rarely, rarely done as a matter "of course."

No matter, for now it's a non-problem. :lol:
debk
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

debk wrote: What we did was leave some super-serious scrubbing devices with the BBQs and ask people to either (a) give the BBQs a good scrub while things are still hot -- when it's so much easier -- or (b) pay a €35 BBQ cleaning fee.
Our barbecue is sometimes used 4 or 5 times a week and often requires a major effort to clean at changeovers. I leave out a heavy duty wire brush and a powerful spray cleaner but more often than not, it is a mess. So, Deb, give me an idea what your "super-serious scrubbing devices" consist of? My grill is quite heavy and does not fit in the sink but there is a large work surface available for scrubbing. I wouldn´t mind if it was just 1 nite´s meal that they were leaving behind without cleaning but sometimes it is grease and burnt bits from many barbecues. I haven´t ever deducted extra for cleaning.

Cheers,
Maria