Wave/Stripe credit card payments

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Interesting that their requirements are different to signing up for Stripe directly. Stripe requires some kind of ID verification. I was able to sign up using a French address and a French bank account but still needed to give ID like a passport. I don't live on France. Without the ID verification, the account remained available but not activated. ie. I couldn't go from test to live.
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

Let’s Encypt - https://letsencrypt.org/ - is a well-backed project offering secure certificates for no charge. If your website domain has its own IP address (and if it doesn’t this can usually be arranged for maybe an extra fiver a year) it can use one of these certs. Installing them is a bit complicated but the techies at hosting firms are able to do it with relative ease - certainly not hundreds of pounds worth of man-hours. Hooking it up to a booking system is a separate issue, but I suspect that if it gains traction, plugins for Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal will become available.

You don’t need to integrate Stripe into an online system to use it. If you have an activated account you can process payments manually from the dashboard by selecting ‘Payments’ from the ’Transactions’ menu and the clicking the ‘+ Payment’ button.

To minimise the likelihood of fraudulent payments you can set it to decline payments which fail CVC (Verified by Visa and Mastercard Secure) and postcode verification by checking these options in the ‘general’ tab of the account settings which you get to by clicking the account tab at the top right of the page.

Unless your turnover is pretty big their fees of 1.4% plus 20p (in UK) are effectively quite a lot lower lower than a ’traditional' merchant account, even when you factor in that it’s more expensive for debit cards, because there is no monthly charge. I suspect the banks see it as an issue, as I got an instant and substantial reduction in the price of my merchant account simply by mentioning that I was using it.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bordering wrote:
You don’t need to integrate Stripe into an online system to use it. If you have an activated account you can process payments manually from the dashboard by selecting ‘Payments’ from the ’Transactions’ menu and the clicking the ‘+ Payment’ button.
Just to be clear, that's a card holder not present payment. Still useful for some people nevertheless.
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

Thanks, Kev, for the clarification.

I’ve used it like this, for bookings, rather than my other business. You just need to make sure you have the long card number, expiry date, last 3 digits on the back - plus cardholder name as it’s shown on the card and postcode for better verification.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I set up a wave/stripe account yesterday and successfully paid myself £1 with my MasterCard. Now I've sent an invoice to a guest and she keeps getting an error message
'oops something isn't right. There was a problem with your request.'

Anyone have any ideas if I've done something wrong?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Sam V wrote:I set up a wave/stripe account yesterday and successfully paid myself £1 with my MasterCard. Now I've sent an invoice to a guest and she keeps getting an error message
'oops something isn't right. There was a problem with your request.'

Anyone have any ideas if I've done something wrong?
Don't worry everyone! It's all sorted, her cc co. were blocking the transaction, it's all paid now and Wave informed me that if this happens again to ask the client to call their cc co to confirm the transaction is fine.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I also had to use Waveapps yesterday for a client who wanted to pay by credit card but didn't want to use Paypal. I already had a Stripe account as I'm about to add it to my websites but I need something fast.

I was able to enable Waveapps connecting to my Stripe account and add both a Euro and Sterling account. I sent the invoice and client said it was easy to use. The charges were 1.4% and will wait and see how long it takes to reach my bank account.

Stripe/Wave only works in some countries. It was no good for Switzerland or Spain. I had to use a French address and those in the UK should be OK.

A great alternative to Paypal and for those who are not able to add Stripe to their websites. There's also a smartphone app for Stripe so you can take payments over the phone.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

kevsboredagain wrote:There's also a smartphone app for Stripe so you can take payments over the phone.
I'm guessing that those of us signed up to Wave now have a Stripe account as a result. I've just searched my phone and found a few possible apps but I'm not sure they are the one you're talking about? There's Stripe Dashboard, which seems official but doesn't appear to take payments within the app.

Then there's Charge- Stripe Credit Card payment, Payment for Stripe - Mobile Credit card payments and Control for Stripe. All of of these add a further 1% charge on to the processing fees it seems.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Nemo wrote:
Then there's Charge- Stripe Credit Card payment, Payment for Stripe - Mobile Credit card payments and Control for Stripe. All of of these add a further 1% charge on to the processing fees it seems.
I tested out Pay now for Stripe. which added 10c per transaction in addition to the Stripe fee of 1.4%.
Vera

Post by Vera »

I've gone back to Nemo's 1st post and I'm sorted now. 1st proper invoice sent off.
edited due to my early morning confusion!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Vera wrote:I've gone back to Nemo's 1st post and I'm sorted now. 1st proper invoice sent off.
edited due to my early morning confusion!
I was about to answer your post but then found it had changed.

I too was confused by Waveapps. I thought it was perhaps because I already had a Stripe account. The references to bank accounts in Wave seem to be simply for them to import your transactions so the application can categorize them. It's also an accounting package. Obviously they functionality can be ignored for CC payments.

For bank accounts to recieve CC funds into, I added those in Stripe, one for Euro and another for GBP. Wave asked me if I wanted to link to Stripe and I guess having both accounts now allows me to make invoice in either currency.
Vera

Post by Vera »

kevsboredagain wrote:
I was able to enable Waveapps connecting to my Stripe account and add both a Euro and Sterling account. I sent the invoice and client said it was easy to use.
I'm stuck again.

I've set up my Euro and GBP bank accounts in Stripe.
I've sent myself an invoice in Euros from wave and paid it OK.
If I send myself an invoice in pounds it quotes an exchange rate but the received invoice doesn't give any fields to enter the credit card details.
The FAQs mention that you can only use one currency. Is this correct and if so how did you manage it Kev.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Vera wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:
I was able to enable Waveapps connecting to my Stripe account and add both a Euro and Sterling account. I sent the invoice and client said it was easy to use.
I'm stuck again.

I've set up my Euro and GBP bank accounts in Stripe.
I've sent myself an invoice in Euros from wave and paid it OK.
If I send myself an invoice in pounds it quotes an exchange rate but the received invoice doesn't give any fields to enter the credit card details.
The FAQs mention that you can only use one currency. Is this correct and if so how did you manage it Kev.
You're ahead of me there. I've only tested one currency :)
Vera

Post by Vera »

OK, maybe you could try and see if it's the same for you?

I set up the GBP one 2nd and don't remember getting an option to link it to wave.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Just a quick question.....Kev are you saying it doesn't work in Spain?

I'm in Spain but wouod want to set it up on a uk account.

Thanks
Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!