Wave/Stripe credit card payments

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Vera

Post by Vera »

It works in Spain in Beta status.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Vera wrote:It works in Spain in Beta status.
That's promising as I had to use a French address for my Spanish property.

I've tried an invoice in a second currency and failed. The help says CC payments can only be taken in the currency of the business but then it allows an invoice to be created in that currency and says CC payment is on, which is confusing. The resulting invoice had no payment option.

I've emailed support for clarification.

I imagine the currency option will work for Stripe integration to my website as the API has a field for currency, although I intend to only have one payment page and it will be in Euros.
Vera

Post by Vera »

I haven't tried it but do you think if you sign up the same business with a different email address you could then select a different main currency?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Vera wrote:I haven't tried it but do you think if you sign up the same business with a different email address you could then select a different main currency?
I would say most likely. The only unique identifier really is the Email address, although you may have to give it a new business name.

Waveapps replied and said :

You are able to Invoice in your main currency, which, your business was set up in, your "Reports" will always be generated in your main currency. Additionally, if the information importing into your Wave account from your bank is in a different currency, the transaction that will be posted into the Wave Transaction screen will be in your main currency based on the exchange rate for the transaction's posted date as per xe.com.
You can see details of the currency exchange rate by selecting the transaction, and then clicking on "Show details (tab below transaction)".
You will be able to create a new business from scratch with the new currency.Therefore, to simplify if your main currency of ur business is EURO you can only invoice in EUROS but your customer can pay in whatever currency they choose and then it will be posted in your Wave account as per ex.com
You will be able to create a new business from scratch with the new currency if you choose to have a second business in pounds
We apologize for this inconvenience.
Vera

Post by Vera »

I had a similar reply.
More annoyingly the potential guest who stalled on paying his deposit by bank transfer and then asked if I would take a card has ignored the invoice I sent him.

Hi there,

Krista here- your Customer Support Hero with Payments by Wave- I am happy to help.

Unfortunately we will not be able to change your currency. You main currency is only set when creating your business in Wave, but I agree that is a great idea! Could you please check out our Feature Request page on our forum here: https://support.waveapps.com/forums/204 ... ntries/new

You can either add this request or vote on an existing request.

In Wave, multi currency is supported, however, you only have one main currency.

You are able to Invoice your main currency. Additionally, if the information importing into your Wave account from your bank is in a different currency, the transaction that will be posted into the Wave Transaction screen will be in your main currency based on the exchange rate for the transaction's posted date as per xe.com.

You can see details of the currency exchange rate by selecting the transaction, and then clicking on "Show details (tab below transaction)".

You will be able to create a new business from scratch with the new currency.
So if you want two currencies unfortunately you will have to create a separate business for the second currency I do apologise​

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Sincerely
Krista
COYS

Post by COYS »

Has anyone else experienced painfully clunky data entry when filling out the pay screen?
I sent a test invoice & it all worked fine in the end but each keystroke was taking a couple of seconds to appear on screen. I was using Ipad+keyboard but it wasn't apparent in any other application so not the tech itself. Just seemed very slow to react & that may make some people uneasy when entering sensitive info. Have raised a support ticket & other than this issue I'm a fan.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

This is all very interesting, though I have to say a bit over my head as I'm new to this game. I have to say, I would have stumbled across this thread much sooner had it been posted in 'Personal websites'.

So if you don't mind giving me a little assistance here am I correct to understand that you can't run 'Stripe' from an http:// it can only run in an https:// ?

And am I also correct to understand that if you have to create an 'invoice' yourself (manually?) that it is not possible for a guest to simply book without there being any interaction between you and said guest?

All help very gratefully received - Thanks
Tivoli
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Tivoli wrote:
So if you don't mind giving me a little assistance here am I correct to understand that you can't run 'Stripe' from an http:// it can only run in an https:// ?
Correct. Stripe don't do hosted forms and insist that their API be called using SSL. However, there are some 3rd party hosted Stripe forms out there eg. https://wpfortify.com/ I've not tested any of these yet but in theory this should allow an auto filled form in the same way as a SSL hosted Stripe form could work on your own site.
Tivoli wrote: And am I also correct to understand that if you have to create an 'invoice' yourself (manually?) that it is not possible for a guest to simply book without there being any interaction between you and said guest?

Tivoli
If you were using Waveapps to create your invoicve to be paid via the Stripe system, then you'd have to do that manually.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Tivoli wrote:And am I also correct to understand that if you have to create an 'invoice' yourself (manually?) that it is not possible for a guest to simply book without there being any interaction between you and said guest?
You can set up templates in WaveApps for your various types of payments (deposit, balance, etc) which makes it easy to generate invoices with a few clicks. (You just need to manually input the email address and name of the guest, plus payment amount.

We prefer to have a conversation with the guest anyway, so the new OD automatically generated impersonal emails aren't for us.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

NeatandPicky wrote:
We prefer to have a conversation with the guest anyway, so the new OD automatically generated impersonal emails aren't for us.
Did Stripe just get taken over by Owners Direct too. Damn everything moves so fast I can't keep up.
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

NeatandPicky wrote:We prefer to have a conversation with the guest anyway, so the new OD automatically generated impersonal emails aren't for us.
Me too! I was terrified that somebody might be able to just book without speaking with us first. The number of people who don't read the blurb! So we've had families of six asking to rent a cottage for two. I would hate for one of those to be able just to book.

Thanks for all assistance everybody! :-) SO much to find out about!
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

OK, dumb question time:

I've downloaded the Wave App on my phone (a guest wants to pay his balance by CC, even though he paid the deposit by BACS), and filled out my details (email, name, address, etc.).

The 'Accept Credit Card Payments' option is selected in 'Settings' but how does it know where to pay me? Doesn't it need my bank account details?
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Hmmm... when I try to log in, even though I've created an account, I just get a 'one final thing, which currency?' question, which I answer as GB Sterling (which is the default anyway) and then I get a Server 500 error. I've tried this on iPhone and Laptop, same thing.

Not getting very far here.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Sorry, found it now.

There's a separate bit for setting up Stripe and it's under there!
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

I apologise if I am being a pest but I could really do with some advice in layman's terms as I do not understand terms like API or SSL.

So far I have signed up with freetobook but am struggling with that because my cancellation policy does not fit with their options and so I cannot proceed to complete my profile. They tell me that there should be a 'Help' button top left of my screen but it isn't there.

They tell me that “We can add additional free format text to supplement the policy if you provide it to us - this will then show during the booking process under an extra box.” but I have no idea how to provide them with that so I am trying a different tack.

Apparently Stripe costs £89 per annum but I have a feeling that Wave is my better option. The Wave website says “Our simple fee structure is easy to understand and honest. There are no monthly fees, no setup fees, and no surprises.“ So why would I want to pay Stripe £89pa?

Am I missing something here? Can I simply sign up to Wave and have credit cards processed at 1.4% + 0.25€ job done?