Wave/Stripe credit card payments

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Nemo

Wave/Stripe credit card payments

Post by Nemo »

I'm starting a new thread specific to Wave as I expect there are quite a few of us now looking at this as a serious contender to take credit card payments.

The conversation started in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=26223

Wave can be found here: https://www.waveapps.com/

I was going to install Stripe on my website but it needs to run on a secure page and required several hundred pounds from me to my webguy to get it set up. Then I heard about Wave from another LMH member.

Wave is powered by Stripe but is like Paypal in that you simply create an invoice and send it to the guest. Here's a video explaining how Wave invoices work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNX54VEU_ag It's relatively low cost, especially compared to Paypal. Currently 1.4% plus 20p for European issued cards.

When setting up your bank details, don't get drawn into the path of linking your bank account using your secure details. That is only if you are going to use their other accounting packages etc. You only need invoices to accept Credit card payments.

I've created some draft invoices and now sent my first invoice, but it's not quite set up right yet. I copied an invoice, changed the guest name, sent it and found that changed the original/draft too. Not sure why this is or how to solve it. Now waiting to see if the guests will pay the invoice too.
kevsboredagain

Re: Wave/Stripe credit card payments

Post by kevsboredagain »

Nemo wrote: I was going to install Stripe on my website but it needs to run on a secure page and required several hundred pounds from me to my webguy to get it set up.
From a technical perspective using Stripe on your own website is a little fiddly but not several 100 pounds worth. Depending on your hosting, the problem, as you say, could be that it must run on an SSL page. Some host companies provide SSL for no extra charge. If using Wordpress, there are even plugins for using Stripe but again you'd need another plugin to get the relevant pages onto SSL. Implementing a Wordpress installation is on my TBD list.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I've signed up for wave now too and linked it to stripe.

Found it a bit tricky at first and had a few problems with it last night so came back to it fresh this morning and its looking OK now.

I've just sent myself a test invoice for £1 to another email. Received OK and paid with my cc. As a 'payer' I got a 'paid' invoice web page. As an owner I got email from wave, and email from stripe. It shows up in my stripe account as in my account. For the guest to get an email receipt from stripe you need to tick some extra boxes in stripe (now done). Payment should transfer to my bank account within 7 days.

So far... its looking good.

I too looked into adding it to my website. I have a PMP website and it looks as if I fail at the first step with that as I don't think I can set up an https: page there.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Dotty wrote:I've just sent myself a test invoice for £1 to another email. Received OK and paid with my cc. As a 'payer' I got a 'paid' invoice web page. As an owner I got email from wave, and email from stripe. It shows up in my stripe account as in my account. For the guest to get an email receipt from stripe you need to tick some extra boxes in stripe (now done). Payment should transfer to my bank account within 7 days.
Thanks Dotty. I didn't know about the email receipts, so I logged into Stripe, went to account settings and emails on the far right of the dashboard. I found the boxes to tick there, in case anyone else wants to follow in our footsteps.

Another thing that may be of interest; they have an app for iphones etc available from itunes, so that you can send an invoice from your phone if you're out and about. I don't think it has an android version as yet.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Dotty wrote:Payment should transfer to my bank account within 7 days.
So, you should receive around 78p next week for your £1 transaction. Correct?

This all sounds really useful, and pretty low cost. Have the large cc service providers reacted?

Edit: I just clicked on Nemo's link and realised that I have a lot of reading/catching-up to do. Another day maybe, but certainly something I need to look into. :?
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

russellt wrote:
So, you should receive around 78p next week for your £1 transaction. Correct?
Actually I grossed up the amount on the invoice (I've put the formula into a spreadsheet for future use so I can easily use it for rental amounts). The cc fee is 1.4% of the total +20p, so to receive £1 I invoiced myself for £1.22. I input it as 2 times the £1 as one item and the 22p as second item described as card charge.

In my stripe account it shows £1.22 received and £1 due to be paid to me. So it looks as if my formula worked.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Dotty, if your guest is American or Canadian - or is even using cards issued in those countries, or even Norway, the charge is somewhat more.

That formula only works with European issued credit cards.

So who knows what the charge will be after June 23rd? :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

e-richard wrote:Dotty, if your guest is American or Canadian - or is even using cards issued in those countries, or even Norway, the charge is somewhat more.
Of course......... I have another line in the spreadsheet with the formula for non UK/EU cards......with the 2.9%+20p version.

(Just as I have a spreadsheet somewhere with the Paypal formulae for UK/non-UK )

...and the spreadsheet can always be updated if things change after 23rd June. :)
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

As promised by Stripe, our first cc payment arrived in our bank account this morning. (Which, incidentally, is much quicker than an OD payment we've been waiting for via Yapstone.)

Have now created all the invoices for remaining payments this season which are sitting in drafts waiting to be sent. Noticed today that in WaveApps it's possible to record very easily if guests make a payment via an alternative method, so that invoices correctly show as paid on your dashboard.

So pleased with it that I've set up payments for OH's business today as well!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Is there any way this could be integrated into PIMS, for example. currently I have a payment button on my booking form which takes them to Paypal to complete the payment.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Stripe can be integrated into a website Helen, but Wave is invoicing software, so you have to create and send an invoice to trigger the customer to pay. Stripe is not aimed at a layman though. I couldn't understand their website at all and the cost my webguy quoted was too expensive for me to consider as an untried solution. Kev suggested it could be much cheaper than that but Wave allows me a quick solution to try out the whole process anyway, having only ever used Paypal in the past.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

HelenB wrote:Is there any way this could be integrated into PIMS, for example. currently I have a payment button on my booking form which takes them to Paypal to complete the payment.
This could be problematic as Stripe requires to run on an SSL page, unlike Paypal. Installing Stripe on an SSL page is easy enough but to use in PMP/PIMs I'm guessing would require the use of an iFrame, like the other PIMs widgets.

I've tested the iframe method using Wordpress with Stripe and the problem I see is the the SSL Stripe payment page is then embedded inside a non SSL page. Although technically still secure, the user doesn't know it's secure and doesn't see the padlock symbol. I think this would also be the case with PIMs.

One solution could be for PIMs to host the complete payment page, just like Wave.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It sounds interesting. Can I ask....when giving your uk address does it ask for bills or any other proof of ownership? I'm still thinking of my problem where I want to invoice in £'s to go to my uk bank account (but obviously I live in Spain)

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Mouse wrote:It sounds interesting. Can I ask....when giving your uk address does it ask for bills or any other proof of ownership? I'm still thinking of my problem where I want to invoice in £'s to go to my uk bank account (but obviously I live in Spain)

Mousie
x
For Wave, I didn't have to give any personal info like an address Mouse, just my uk bank details, an email and set a password up.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

That's sounding very good then nemo! Thanks. Will organise a test.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!