Tips for being independent of listing sites

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Jenster

Tips for being independent of listing sites

Post by Jenster »

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have seen a few people here mention that they are almost independent of the listing sites. I'd love some tips on how to achieve this - I have a website and a facebook page but at this stage I just can't imagine taking a lot of bookings through them. Its early days for me and I guess it takes time but any help along the way would be gratefully received!

Thanks
Jenny
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh I'm interested too!

My website is so difficult to get seen because of the high competition....so I'm looking for other ways too.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'm probably one of the people you're referring to, Jenster.

There's no simple answer (and anyway, if I gave it to to you I'd have to kill you :wink: ). But ....

... lots (and lots and lots) of hard work; a good USP; a willingness to take risks and put out for the kind of guests you really want; and a willingness to think differently about how to market. I hate selling and salesmanship so I do everything possible avoid that way of marketing. I spend a lot of time doing two things: giving information about our area (whether that be to prospective guests, or just to anyone who might be interested), and creating relationships.

Those are the things that work for me. Your mileage, of course, may vary!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks French Cricket, some great ideas and I have kind of been trying some of them already. As you say its hard work though! I also have a job so finding the time and inclination after work is difficult but I'm sure there's a balance to be found somehow.
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

I am really independant now from listing sites. I have a free listing on HA but i use that to see if i can get any off peak bookings or if i fancy one for 10% commission which i don't mind. I obviously prefer no commission but happy to consider.

It is just that, thinking differently about your business. You dont push your apartment in the usual way of showing bedrooms all the time etc but sharing local info via a blog, facebook etc and making the idea of a holiday in the area appealing!

I started with Alan Egan from Bookings plus 4g nearly 2 years ago and its taken i would say 18 months to get where i am now. But two seasons on and his method has worked!!!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

As a suggestion, a more achievable goal is to be independent of the US Corporate listing sites while still using niche sites, or independent sites if they work for you, alongside developing other paths.

The giant sites are now a poor match for independent owners of individual properties and potential guests looking for that market (what used to be the OD market a few years ago), and it's rapidly getting worse. The giants are good for mass market offerings and appeal, at least until such time as the inevitable Big Bang occurs as they hit the limits of outspending each other (and who knows what happens next!?)
Potential guests are quickly becoming more savvy and will search deeper for the type of property that fits their dream and allows them a personal approach; the number may not be a huge percentage of the total market, but it's way more than enough.

There's a thread running in the Members section about having a USP which has some very good thinking material.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

greenbarn wrote: Potential guests are quickly becoming more savvy and will search deeper for the type of property that fits their dream and allows them a personal approach;
This is the total opposite of my experience over the last 8 years.

Guests are becoming less savvy and scared by the negative media of booking direct. They are being taken in by the advertised comfort and safety of online booking and payments which the big corporations are pushing so hard. Most people are generally too lazy to search for personal websites and are blissfully unaware of the extra price they are paying to go through the likes of Trip Advisor or Airbnb. They think they are being savvy by using these sites with lots of reviews and many don't even like to communicate.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

kevsboredagain wrote:
greenbarn wrote: Potential guests are quickly becoming more savvy and will search deeper for the type of property that fits their dream and allows them a personal approach;
Whereas my experience tallies exactly with what GB is saying. Maybe you just haven't reached those potential guests yet, kev :wink:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kevsboredagain wrote:

Guests are becoming less savvy and scared by the negative media of booking direct. They are being taken in by the advertised comfort and safety of online booking and payments which the big corporations are pushing so hard. Most people are generally too lazy to search for personal websites and are blissfully unaware of the extra price they are paying to go through the likes of Trip Advisor or Airbnb. They think they are being savvy by using these sites with lots of reviews and many don't even like to communicate.
Okay - change to "Some potential guests etc etc...." and that's where the market splits between the guests who are content with the giants' offerings and the rest. Any change in behaviour is really only relevant for the last 3 years or so, and increases in significance towards the present as the impact of the US corporates becomes more apparent. You're dead right that they're being taken in, how long that lasts is the imponderable!