Pussy(cat) problems

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Fascinating device, shame the images on the left don't actually show it blasting the intruders though...... :twisted:
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

salmoncottage wrote:Fascinating device, shame the images on the left don't actually show it blasting the intruders though...... :twisted:
I'll see if I can catch ours in action and post an image! :P :P
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

A friend of mine had a fairly serious cat problem several years ago.

He purchased a humane Squirrel trap. Trapped the cats and moved them away. He worked 40 miles away from where he lived so he took them to work with him every morning and released them until they had all gone. It did take him nearly 2 months!!!!!!!!!!

A serious cat problem and it worked, none of them came back.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How incredibly cruel.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

akwe-xavante wrote:A friend of mine had a fairly serious cat problem several years ago.

He purchased a humane Squirrel trap. Trapped the cats and moved them away. He worked 40 miles away from where he lived so he took them to work with him every morning and released them until they had all gone. It did take him nearly 2 months!!!!!!!!!!

A serious cat problem and it worked, none of them came back.
Yet... cats are renowned for their amazing ability to find their way home from a great distance. It usually takes a couple of years, so it probably won't be long before your friend opens up his curtains one morning to see all the displaced cats lined up on his lawn, staring at him... :twisted: :lol:
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Can't remember a great deal about it now but it was over 10 years ago and I no longer work with him / at the company that we worked for anymore.

As far as I can remember he lived next door to a largely abandoned farm and no body was looking after the cats. I think the council and the rspca didn't want to know for some reason, can't remember why.

From what I can remember he did the cats a favour, himself and his neighbours and saved the council's tax payers money too.

i'll never find out if they ever came back.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Moliere wrote:How incredibly cruel.
Absolutely!!! They probably then died of hunger. It's one of the so called solutions I have battled against for years here. I won't go in to my usual rant as I think Mols summed it up perfectly in 3 words,

Those poor cats!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

Sterilise them all .... we arrived in Puglia with two english cats; after 1 year one Italian stray had inviegled her way in. After about 3 years we were up to 30. We sterilised them all ... now we have around 15. They are not all house cats, some live in the garden and are happy to be fed, watered and medically cared for if necessary. The numbers have gone down from old age, cats wandering off and not coming back, rat poison put down by neighbours, illness etc. We no longer get new cats .... sterilising seems to have done the trick.
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Yes, I think sterilization is the answer. There are privately-organised repeat programmes on this island, where vets from all over the world come to Kefalonia and give their services free for mass sterilizations, perhaps 100 to 200 cats at a time, brought in from all parts of the island.

I don't see so many ferals or unwanted stray cats and kitten around - often in a very sad and hungry state - as I did when I arrived eight years ago.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Don't think I'll be going down the catknapping route although I can't deny I wish it were somebody else's problem.
The scarecrow thingy isn't my answer either - we tried & failed with something similar & they just avoided that entry route.
Sterilisation is for sure the long term solution & we have had programs in the past, but again fairly concentrated on the larger villages & nothing significant for the past couple of years.
Almost certainly, less interaction from visitors & a more responsible approach to domestic feeding by my neighbour would help, but as is often the case he neither acknowledges the issues it causes for others or that it is getting worse at an alarming rate. I fear that it is getting to the point where we are going to have a serious falling out sooner rather than later but as always, that will solve nothing.
I don't want to rattle any cages or raise any cruelty debates but I am pretty much cat neutral - I neither love nor particularly care for them either way, I just don't want them colonising my property & selfish or otherwise, when providing 'luxury villa accommodation' I'm guessing that a feral (or domestic) feline population is not going to be high up on many people's wish list. Hence I'll try any humane suggestion as my ongoing quest for a deterrent continues.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I guess you're probably right about most people being reluctant to share their holiday with feline(s). But I must share the heartwarming story of a stray (we called him Cesar) who was very ill during one of our visits to our house. We took him to the vet who treated him and prescribed medicine and gave instructions for his care in the ensuing weeks. Problem - we were returning to the UK at the end of the week and had continuous guest bookings thereafter. I tentatively contacted the upcoming guests and asked them to care for him if they liked cats or to be gentle with him if they didn't. Without exception they rallied round and tended him for the next six weeks, sending us regular reports on his condition, and many saying how much their children loved looking after Cesar.

It still brings a tear to my eye.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

That's a really heartwarming story, Mols, and we have found that many guests react with similar affection for stray cats and sometimes like to tell us about it. Two of our dogs and our cat were all strays, who found us, not we them.
COYS

Post by COYS »

A nice story Mols, but therein lies the crux of our particular problem i.e absent for weeks on end & having regularly changing (paying) guests. Perhaps not all would be quite so accepting or benevolent & it takes all sorts but we actively discourage visitors from feeding/petting. Aside from the hygiene factors etc. those that insist on ignoring our advice will be gone in a couple of weeks at most & we will still have the same ongoing issues, just in ever increasing numbers.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Not quite the same scenario but a neighbour's cat once brought her tiny kittens to live under our hedge at our holiday home. As we were leaving and letting the house I advised incoming guests not to feed the cats. I explained this to our caretaker who speaks little English she promptly came out with the following phrase (in English) " DO NOT EAT THE CAT" !
Fleur