How to create online updateable forms

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Dusty

How to create online updateable forms

Post by Dusty »

Has anyone got any recommendations on how I can turn my booking form into an form that's update-able online? Preferably using a pdf format.
Thanks in advance
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

In my view, why send something that needs all the hassle of download, fill in and upload? Go for online forms every time.

Check out wufoo forms. They are popular with many owners here. (By he way, I have no connection with that company)
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks for the speedy response e-richard, I am having a play now, but a quick question, can this form be sent via rental such as OD? They only allow pdf, gif etc.
Maybe I didn't explain myself very well, what I was looking for was a form that could be sent to a client that they could complete on their computer, smartphone etc. and then send it back to me. I normally send out a Word format doc that they complete and send email back but the new OD online payments system only allows to send pdfs etc.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

All my OD bookings complete a form online via my website. I just email them the link. If you want them to book directly next time, it's a great excuse to give them access to your website, no matter how they've chosen to book this time.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Dusty, sending booking forms (.doc or .pdf) is sooooo 1970s and went out with bell bottoms and flower power.

As Kevin says, you have the booking form in a page on your website. When the guest is ready to book, you send them a link to this page. The guest completes the form (using his computer, tablet, phone etc.) and when the form is "submitted" it automatically sends an email to you and to the guest confirming receipt of the "form".
** Richard
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

e-richard wrote:Dusty, sending booking forms (.doc or .pdf) is sooooo 1970s and went out with bell bottoms and flower power.

As Kevin says, you have the booking form in a page on your website. When the guest is ready to book, you send them a link to this page. The guest completes the form (using his computer, tablet, phone etc.) and when the form is "submitted" it automatically sends an email to you and to the guest confirming receipt of the "form".
You can always be sneaky and store a PDF on OD which contains a link to your booking form. Problem solved and no need to ask for email address.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thank you both for your replies. I will try and bring myself up to date e-richard (can I call you e-?) but I rather liked bell bottoms and always fancied growing a mullet :D .
That's a good suggestion kevsboredagain, I will follow that one up.
tchn

Post by tchn »

Google Forms are pretty simple and effective and I think would fulfill your aims, for free.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks tchn, I will give them a go.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

kevsboredagain wrote:
e-richard wrote:Dusty, sending booking forms (.doc or .pdf) is sooooo 1970s and went out with bell bottoms and flower power.

You can always be sneaky and store a PDF on OD which contains a link to your booking form. Problem solved and no need to ask for email address.
Now that sounds interesting.

So when do you send this, and how Kev? I'm assuming it's through the dashboard?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

kevsboredagain wrote:You can always be sneaky and store a PDF on OD which contains a link to your booking form. Problem solved and no need to ask for email address.
I wonder if this is really such a good idea? If and when OD close this "loophole", they will do it without warning, you may not be aware and you may encounter unexplained scenarios.

If you are going to advertise with them on a commission basis, then I'd rather suggest working within their rules and adapt your process to fit. You do get a guest's email after they have paid the deposit, so you can send an email with a link to your booking form at that stage. I've been doing that for 2 years at TA/HL on commission and it works fine for me.
** Richard
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

e-richard wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:You can always be sneaky and store a PDF on OD which contains a link to your booking form. Problem solved and no need to ask for email address.
I wonder if this is really such a good idea? If and when OD close this "loophole", they will do it without warning, you may not be aware and you may encounter unexplained scenarios./quote]

I should point out that this was a hypothetical solution to the original question. I don't do it myself although and simply ask for an email address although I do have PDFs for the alternative payment methods and these are PDFs of the corresponding payment page on my website.