Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners


 
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Our new responsive? site
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index ->
Website reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bassman



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 720
Location: Charente Maritime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Our new responsive? site Reply with quote

Still working on some of the wording (bane of my life) and photos, really looking to see if it is responsive across all browsers and sizes. Any other comment are welcome
www.boutillon-gites.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Casscat



Joined: 05 Jul 2014
Posts: 2661
Location: Andalucía

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a really quick comment. You do not mention the name of the town/village where your property is located anywhere on the home page. There is a tab headed 'Hadicapp Label' but this doesn't mean anything to the viewer as you have not referred to this elsewhere so it doesn't appear to connect to anything. Is that the name of your village?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AndrewH



Joined: 12 Sep 2013
Posts: 1211
Location: Kefalonia, Greece

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick comment and I am ready for the flak, but I just dislike the verb "Nestled" - the first word of your description. I see it quite often used in property descriptions these days. To me it sounds trite and so last year, and a bit twee as well.
_________________
www.athenagreece.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bassman



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 720
Location: Charente Maritime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input Casscat
Sorry i forgot to mention the handicap label link isnt finished im waiting for confirmation of the label (I have now deleted it for the time being). We are situated between 2 villages which i mention in fact our postal address is Angliers but the nearest village is Verines!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bassman



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 720
Location: Charente Maritime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewH wrote:
Another quick comment and I am ready for the flak, but I just dislike the verb "Nestled" - the first word of your description. I see it quite often used in property descriptions these days. To me it sounds trite and so last year, and a bit twee as well.

It was written last year Wink
Any suggestion for changes would be appreciated, i am really shét at writing and not really happy with any of the wording but its the best i can do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kevsboredagain



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 3209
Location: France

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good and works well on Android phone.
_________________
www.samoensalpineholiday.com
www.websiteproud.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bassman



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 720
Location: Charente Maritime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevsboredagain wrote:
Looks good and works well on Android phone.

Thanks Kevin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
French Cricket



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 3053
Location: French Pyrénées

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to do with responsiveness, but you might want to check the drop down menu under Accommodation (which by the way you've misspelt!) - the white text disappears for me against a white/light grey background in Chrome.
_________________
Holiday retreat for grown-ups in the French Pyrenees
French Foothills
Our Catalan cottage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rammy100



Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 544
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Nice looking website but there are a few typos....."accomodation" on the tab and the tab just gives me a white box with sub headings only appearing when I hover over it. 9I use Chrome if you need to know.

I find the block of text under the photographs just a little too long to read. Can you break it down into paragraphs?

In here you say "a a kilometre" and this doesn't read well... "walking distance to our local villages have a selection"

You say there is plenty to please everyone but how do you know what it is that pleases? Better to actually list the attractions.

I know this is a thing of mine but do you have to have moving photographs? I find it really distracting when I'm trying to read the text.

I wonder whether you need to have such a big photo at the top of each page. It means I have to scroll down before I can see any text at all.

It would look much smarter if you could get the prices to line up. At the moment they aren't aligned and isn't it correct to write €700 instead of 700€?

Your "how to get here" page doesn't really tell me how to get there....it's just a list of distances. Also on this page, the "La Rochelle Airport" link actually takes me to the flybe website and away from your website.

The citijet link also takes me to flybe.

Some of the links open websites on an additional page and some take me away from your website which I think isn't such a good move.

I also think you should mention your town in the description of where you are.

I don't mean any of this to sound at all critical and hope this helps in some way,

Dave
_________________
Here we go again........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bassman



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 720
Location: Charente Maritime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave & FC I appreciate your comments
Typo and drop down menu sorted.
Made a few changes to the opening text.
I would prefer the photos to be shorter in height but the software doesnt allow it.
Will sort out links.
Just looked on Amazon all price are 00.00€.
I will probably write the prices in excel and paste them on as i cant straighten them unless i use a column for each if i do that it doesnt look right in tablet or phone format.
Parts of the site arent finished yet, still photos to add and text to fiddle with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kevsboredagain



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 3209
Location: France

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassman wrote:

I will probably write the prices in excel and paste them on as i cant straighten them unless i use a column for each if i do that it doesnt look right in tablet or phone format.
Parts of the site arent finished yet, still photos to add and text to fiddle with.


That makes little sense as Excel is not going to create aligned text for you on a website. When columns in Excel are exported they are separated by delimiters, which can be a tab or a comma, for example.

On your prices pages there are loads of spaces between the text and each line is a paragraph, which is why it's all messed up. I would have thought you could align columns in some way and as long as you limited the number and content of columns, it should be ok on a mobile.

Although it can be done in CSS, it's probably easy to specify a table and define the cell widths as % instead of fixed values.
_________________
www.samoensalpineholiday.com
www.websiteproud.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bassman



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 720
Location: Charente Maritime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevsboredagain wrote:
Bassman wrote:

I will probably write the prices in excel and paste them on as i cant straighten them unless i use a column for each if i do that it doesnt look right in tablet or phone format.
Parts of the site arent finished yet, still photos to add and text to fiddle with.


That makes little sense as Excel is not going to create aligned text for you on a website. When columns in Excel are exported they are separated by delimiters, which can be a tab or a comma, for example.

On your prices pages there are loads of spaces between the text and each line is a paragraph, which is why it's all messed up. I would have thought you could align columns in some way and as long as you limited the number and content of columns, it should be ok on a mobile.

Although it can be done in CSS, it's probably easy to specify a table and define the cell widths as % instead of fixed values.

Excel worked okay on my last site i added the pricing as jpeg file in fact the floor plans on my new site are also from excel.

The cell size on my software as far as i know is fixed and you need cascade the cells for mobiles

Here is my pricing using excel
http://www.boutillon-gites.co.uk/pricing.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kevsboredagain



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 3209
Location: France

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassman wrote:


Here is my pricing using excel
http://www.boutillon-gites.co.uk/pricing.html


Then that is simply a screen capture. I thought you were implying that Excel could make the format correct for you in a web page.
_________________
www.samoensalpineholiday.com
www.websiteproud.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
la vache!



Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Posts: 11068

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine on my iphone. Quick to load and easy to navigate. Still some typos, Ile d'Rè should be Ile de Ré and on the facilities page you have children playing in parasols which doesn't make much sense, but nothing that a good proof read won't sort out.
Your pricing table is fine, € always come after the figures, unlike other currencies.
Félicitations Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bassman



Joined: 05 Oct 2010
Posts: 720
Location: Charente Maritime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la vache! wrote:
It works fine on my iphone. Quick to load and easy to navigate. Still some typos, Ile d'Rè should be Ile de Ré and on the facilities page you have children playing in parasols which doesn't make much sense, but nothing that a good proof read won't sort out.
Your pricing table is fine, € always come after the figures, unlike other currencies.
Félicitations Wink


"supplied and sun loungers and parasols to relaxing in."
thanks LV what was i thinking Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index ->
Website reviews
All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group