Our new responsive? site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Bassman

Our new responsive? site

Post by Bassman »

Still working on some of the wording (bane of my life) and photos, really looking to see if it is responsive across all browsers and sizes. Any other comment are welcome
www.boutillon-gites.co.uk
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Just a really quick comment. You do not mention the name of the town/village where your property is located anywhere on the home page. There is a tab headed 'Hadicapp Label' but this doesn't mean anything to the viewer as you have not referred to this elsewhere so it doesn't appear to connect to anything. Is that the name of your village?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Another quick comment and I am ready for the flak, but I just dislike the verb "Nestled" - the first word of your description. I see it quite often used in property descriptions these days. To me it sounds trite and so last year, and a bit twee as well.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Thank you for your input Casscat
Sorry i forgot to mention the handicap label link isnt finished im waiting for confirmation of the label (I have now deleted it for the time being). We are situated between 2 villages which i mention in fact our postal address is Angliers but the nearest village is Verines!
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

AndrewH wrote:Another quick comment and I am ready for the flak, but I just dislike the verb "Nestled" - the first word of your description. I see it quite often used in property descriptions these days. To me it sounds trite and so last year, and a bit twee as well.
It was written last year :wink:
Any suggestion for changes would be appreciated, i am really shét at writing and not really happy with any of the wording but its the best i can do.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Looks good and works well on Android phone.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

kevsboredagain wrote:Looks good and works well on Android phone.
Thanks Kevin
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Not to do with responsiveness, but you might want to check the drop down menu under Accommodation (which by the way you've misspelt!) - the white text disappears for me against a white/light grey background in Chrome.
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Hi Paul

Nice looking website but there are a few typos....."accomodation" on the tab and the tab just gives me a white box with sub headings only appearing when I hover over it. 9I use Chrome if you need to know.

I find the block of text under the photographs just a little too long to read. Can you break it down into paragraphs?

In here you say "a a kilometre" and this doesn't read well... "walking distance to our local villages have a selection"

You say there is plenty to please everyone but how do you know what it is that pleases? Better to actually list the attractions.

I know this is a thing of mine but do you have to have moving photographs? I find it really distracting when I'm trying to read the text.

I wonder whether you need to have such a big photo at the top of each page. It means I have to scroll down before I can see any text at all.

It would look much smarter if you could get the prices to line up. At the moment they aren't aligned and isn't it correct to write €700 instead of 700€?

Your "how to get here" page doesn't really tell me how to get there....it's just a list of distances. Also on this page, the "La Rochelle Airport" link actually takes me to the flybe website and away from your website.

The citijet link also takes me to flybe.

Some of the links open websites on an additional page and some take me away from your website which I think isn't such a good move.

I also think you should mention your town in the description of where you are.

I don't mean any of this to sound at all critical and hope this helps in some way,

Dave
Here we go again........
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Thanks Dave & FC I appreciate your comments
Typo and drop down menu sorted.
Made a few changes to the opening text.
I would prefer the photos to be shorter in height but the software doesnt allow it.
Will sort out links.
Just looked on Amazon all price are 00.00€.
I will probably write the prices in excel and paste them on as i cant straighten them unless i use a column for each if i do that it doesnt look right in tablet or phone format.
Parts of the site arent finished yet, still photos to add and text to fiddle with.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bassman wrote: I will probably write the prices in excel and paste them on as i cant straighten them unless i use a column for each if i do that it doesnt look right in tablet or phone format.
Parts of the site arent finished yet, still photos to add and text to fiddle with.
That makes little sense as Excel is not going to create aligned text for you on a website. When columns in Excel are exported they are separated by delimiters, which can be a tab or a comma, for example.

On your prices pages there are loads of spaces between the text and each line is a paragraph, which is why it's all messed up. I would have thought you could align columns in some way and as long as you limited the number and content of columns, it should be ok on a mobile.

Although it can be done in CSS, it's probably easy to specify a table and define the cell widths as % instead of fixed values.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Bassman wrote: I will probably write the prices in excel and paste them on as i cant straighten them unless i use a column for each if i do that it doesnt look right in tablet or phone format.
That makes little sense as Excel is not going to create aligned text for you on a website. When columns in Excel are exported they are separated by delimiters, which can be a tab or a comma, for example.

On your prices pages there are loads of spaces between the text and each line is a paragraph, which is why it's all messed up. I would have thought you could align columns in some way and as long as you limited the number and content of columns, it should be ok on a mobile.

Although it can be done in CSS, it's probably easy to specify a table and define the cell widths as % instead of fixed values.
Excel worked okay on my last site i added the pricing as jpeg file in fact the floor plans on my new site are also from excel.

The cell size on my software as far as i know is fixed and you need cascade the cells for mobiles

Here is my pricing using excel
http://www.boutillon-gites.co.uk/pricing.html
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bassman wrote:
Here is my pricing using excel
http://www.boutillon-gites.co.uk/pricing.html
Then that is simply a screen capture. I thought you were implying that Excel could make the format correct for you in a web page.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It works fine on my iphone. Quick to load and easy to navigate. Still some typos, Ile d'Rè should be Ile de Ré and on the facilities page you have children playing in parasols which doesn't make much sense, but nothing that a good proof read won't sort out.
Your pricing table is fine, € always come after the figures, unlike other currencies.
Félicitations :wink:
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

la vache! wrote:It works fine on my iphone. Quick to load and easy to navigate. Still some typos, Ile d'Rè should be Ile de Ré and on the facilities page you have children playing in parasols which doesn't make much sense, but nothing that a good proof read won't sort out.
Your pricing table is fine, € always come after the figures, unlike other currencies.
Félicitations :wink:
"supplied and sun loungers and parasols to relaxing in."
thanks LV what was i thinking :roll: