Am I a snob?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
la vache!

Am I a snob?

Post by la vache! »

I had an enquiry from one of my listing sites, which appears to be quite genuine, as it is simply for a family holiday for a week in August next year, no reverends or Drs or bad English. However, I don't want to reply as I don't like their e mail address! The address contained the words shuffling.a***hole. (the British English spelling, not U.S)
What would you do????
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Susan

I know what you mean but maybe they did it on impulse, :oops: :)

Answer the email and see how they seem or even ring them
You could make a joke of it and ask how they got such a bizarre name. :?

Its up to you of course :)
I know it sounds strange but if its for weeks that you dont have a problem selling you can be fussy .
But its funny how were not so picky when its weeks that are slow to sell. :roll:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Hi Susan
My feeling is that it can't be genuine, as he/she would get 99% of their outgoing mail rejected by spam filters.

We have enough trouble with spam filters if we put our address in our signature - our county is Sus*** (too decadent to print in full).

Or maybe they're an unusual family?

Goat
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Your probably right Mountain[you usually are] :D

but can you tell me how you filter through Spam[or is it an old war recipe] :wink:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Susan...Did the original email come through as 'Spam'? If there is a contact phone number I would ring them to have a chat and then take it from there.

Last year I had an enquiry from a really wierd email address....after a 'phone call and a chat to the person concerned it turned out to be a genuine booking for a 'girlie' holiday and they were good guests too!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mountain Goat wrote:Hi Susan
Or maybe they're an unusual family?

Goat
Yep, unusual enough that I don't want to risk them staying in one of my gites!
roxytoo

snob

Post by roxytoo »

I did have a booking from potatoknob. once, I was a bit wary but all was ok!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

When I worked in a bank[strange but true] 8)

We had a Mr Gotobed, Mr christmas and a Mr Penas as customers. guess which one I had to call into the office :oops:

We still giggle about it 25 yrs on when we meet up :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I might try replying; why not?

I used to have an e-mail address that started with oh_please_spam_me. It was, predictably, the one I used on any internet form or other means of communication where I wasn't sure how well I could trust the recipient.

If you're worried, you could always create a silly e-mail of your own and reply with that!
Brooke
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

The address I received was 'thatgirlneedstheropy'! Enough to send alarm bells ringing...as it happens after a chat and at the end of their stay none of us needed it.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

If it's for August next year, then I wouldn't bother even answering. Not worth the risk. What kind of person would have such a stupid email address???? Thatgirlneedstherapy is an amusing joke, but shuffling.a***hole is obnoxious and even if it is a joke and the person is "genuine", I don't really want people with such a low sense of humour in my house thank you very much.
If that makes me a snob, then so be it. :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

CatherineS wrote:If it's for August next year, then I wouldn't bother even answering. Not worth the risk. What kind of person would have such a stupid email address???? Thatgirlneedstherapy is an amusing joke, but shuffling.a***hole is obnoxious and even if it is a joke and the person is "genuine", I don't really want people with such a low sense of humour in my house thank you very much.
If that makes me a snob, then so be it. :D
My thoughts exactly!
It didn't come through as spam, but I am with wanadoo.fr who let a lot of rubbish through.
enid

Post by enid »

your house - you can decide who you let to or not - and as for being a snob I don't think you are, just selective. I am putting less and less effort into spending time or energy on peopel who I don't feel at ease with - and the good news is I have stopped feeling guilty about it.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I agree with Enid and Catherine. It's your house, if you don't feel comfy with such a stupid e-mail address don't bother. You know that August will get booked anyway :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I agree with you all; if it means we're snobs, I can live with it. I am far from comfortable with that email address,and even if they wanted 3 weeks in January, no!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be