What is the best option?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Bassman

What is the best option?

Post by Bassman »

At the moment i have separate websites for my French & English clients the French site has a (.fr) & UK a (.co.uk).
Is this the best option or would it be better with just one site with English & French pages.
Most of my French guests come in groups between October & June and the UK guest the summer in families. My thought were that the description on the home page for SEO was very different so it was better to have separate sites?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I have the same thing, Bassman (.com for English language and .fr for French) and it seems to work well. I basically mirror the site structure so that each site looks roughly the same and has the same photos, but things like the site description etc are unique to each language. If I had all the time in the world (ha!) I'd rename all the images and add separate alt tags. But I haven't. So I probably won't.

And all that reminds me - French site is in renovation - must finish the job ... aaargh.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

French Cricket wrote:I have the same thing, Bassman (.com for English language and .fr for French) and it seems to work well. I basically mirror the site structure so that each site looks roughly the same and has the same photos, but things like the site description etc are unique to each language. If I had all the time in the world (ha!) I'd rename all the images and add separate alt tags. But I haven't. So I probably won't.

And all that reminds me - French site is in renovation - must finish the job ... aaargh.
It does take forever.....ive never been happy with any of my sites and because of that hadnt finished them off, always bits missing! My new site im quite happy with so determined to finish it properly then start on the French site. Probably by then i would have had enough and wouldnt get around to renaming the images.
Still cant work out how to add an alt tag with my software
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kevsboredagain

Re: What is the best option?

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bassman wrote:At the moment i have separate websites for my French & English clients the French site has a (.fr) & UK a (.co.uk).
Is this the best option or would it be better with just one site with English & French pages.
Most of my French guests come in groups between October & June and the UK guest the summer in families. My thought were that the description on the home page for SEO was very different so it was better to have separate sites?
I tried it with a .com and .co.uk and came to no solid conclusions. After a couple of years I just let the .co.uk expire and stuck with .com, which is split into 3 languages.

In theory a .fr site should appear before a .com for someone searching in France. Just how big that advantage is has proven impossible to gauge for such a small hit count.
Bassman

Re: What is the best option?

Post by Bassman »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Bassman wrote:At the moment i have separate websites for my French & English clients the French site has a (.fr) & UK a (.co.uk).
I tried it with a .com and .co.uk and came to no solid conclusions. After a couple of years I just let the .co.uk expire and stuck with .com, which is split into 3 languages.

In theory a .fr site should appear before a .com for someone searching in France. Just how big that advantage is has proven impossible to gauge for such a small hit count.
Thanks Kev so i may as well stick to what i have which is having two different site