I'm not sure I would, would you? - Viewing request

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

I'm not sure I would, would you? - Viewing request

Post by Sam V »

After sending a quote, which also includes an itemised breakdown of the fees, I've received this email today from Mrs Potential

Can you advise of the full
Cost with air conditioning but not to heat the pool
If possible. We are in the area at the moment if we would be able to view?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I have done 2 viewings in 14 years and both were timewasters, just bored on holiday I think and wanted to waste my time too.

Now get asked about once every few years, I think they are potential owners looking at competition so I say no, politely of course.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

We've been asked (either directly or rather subtly) once or twice - and fortunately it's always been when we've had people in so we could easily and honestly say "sorry, no can do."
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
GRL

Post by GRL »

We did it once but only when we had someone wanting a long term let and we did allow it ... and they booked .. and have come back several times since! I would not do it for a week long let.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I get the request often from the French, it doesn't bother me at all to show people around as long as the gites aren't let out to other people.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I've shown people round too, if we've been empty (if I've been asked in advance - nobody turns up on spec down our bumpy track that's on the way to nowhere!).

We're on site, of course, and I honestly don't see the problem with it. It doesn't exactly take up a lot of time or energy and might one day end up with a new guest or a referral. What's not to like?
GRL

Post by GRL »

My reason is that I want guests to walk through the door and see the gite looking all clean and absolutely ready for them which usually elicits a "wow" reaction. In between lets it may not be up to scratch - beds won't be made and it may generally look a bit disorganised and not the image I want them to see. It's the same reason I don't encourage guests to arrive early "just to drop their bags of."
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I've had a couple of requests like this before, but never when it's been feasible, i.e. there are guests in residence. If the place was empty and I was around I would be happy to let them have a look. The times the request has come through it has been from people who have booked and are staying nearby and I want them to realise their mistake so that they book my place the following year! :P
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Ah yes, I can see that, Rosie. Having flexible arrival days means that we can usually find a time when the barn is indeed in that pristine state - more difficult on same day changeovers, I'd guess. I do think the French, at least would understand (maybe not the Brits though :wink: )
annedab

Post by annedab »

We used to quite often get people knocking the door and ask to look round - usually because they were organising a big family event in one of the local villages - as Rosie said, you really want people to see things at their best which isn't always the case! I had one chap turn up on spec just a week before we moved. He had already enquired about camping in the summer (for a big family gathering) and just happened to be passing. Of course, the place was in chaos - games room and camping showers full of boxes/piles destined for the tip, and the grass was almost knee high due to 10 days of unceasing rain. I was re-laying slabs around the pool and filthy from head to foot - not the best image to present...

...the next day he emailed and booked for a week in August :shock:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

My concerns were also the security risk. How do I know these people are not potential scammers wanting to get a first hand view of my property to later duplicate and advertise? I don't know that the name on the enquiry is genuine, etc.

Anyway, I replied that we don't do viewings for security reasons, plus we had guests in residence.

She's now booked for next year!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Martha

Post by Martha »

I've been asked occasionally, and sometimes accommodated the request, sometimes not. Various reasons, most of which have been covered in this conversation already. I have no doubt that some of them came by for a nose anyway though, I suppose you can't blame them.

French Cricket:
"nobody turns up on spec down our bumpy track that's on the way to nowhere!"

That's what I would have thought too but since we aren't letting this summer and are here ourselves I have had three (!!!) people drop round unannounced, which makes me wonder how often it happened before without me knowing.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

la vache! wrote:I get the request often from the French, it doesn't bother me at all to show people around as long as the gites aren't let out to other people.
We have quite few requests and you can arrange a convenient time for the visit and they quite often end up booking. What we dislike is people just turning up, its often people from our village who has a "friend that is interested" but they just come around for a nose!!
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Happened to us last year. We were there, the place was looking great, so we were confident they'd be impressed. A delightful couple, with lots in common with us. Made all the right noises - just need to wait for flights to be released...

Then we kept bumping into them everywhere we went. Restaurants, bars, petrol station, street. Purely coincidence, but we joked that it was starting to feel like stalking.

Emailed to alert him about pending flight release. He didn't even have the courtesy to reply.

So this year when were were asked where the villa was by guests who were in the vicinity and had actually booked, we answered without revealing we were in residence.

Shame for them that the previous experience had put us off.