Tax D'Habitation & Fonciere for Gites

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
EricaT

Tax D'Habitation & Fonciere for Gites

Post by EricaT »

Dear All,

I'm currently working out a business plan to see if running gites in France (Dordogne) is going to be viable. I already have an up and running business as a children's book author & Illustrator which I can transfer to France so the gites will be a supplementary income. However the cost of the tax d'habitation & fonciere is concerning me as I've heard of extremely high rates - 6000 euros for three gites and a residence! Are there any gite owners out there who would be willing to share how much the above taxes cost them per annum so I can make a rough estimate as to how much I will have to fork out? Please do private message me if you would prefer to keep the conversation private.

Thank-you in advance for any help or advice available :)

Erica

www.ericajanewaters.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think it very much depends on age of property, amount of land, and your area.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

You will pay tax d'habitation and taxe foncier depending on the size of the properties and the amenities eg extra for a pool.
You will also have to pay CFE (Cotisation foncier des enterprise) for the properties used for the gite business, this is based on the taxe fonciere and is dependant upon the rates set by the local authorities.
What would Plato do ?
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Thanks for your replies folks! It seems it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string!
Thanks again,
Erica
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes, there will be a way of estimating, but you will need to find the area you want to buy in first. The agents selling anything should know what these charges will be.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

If I live in my house, and let part of it as a gite do I also have to pay extra tax fonciere? This is a new one for me.

I am thinking the whole thing is not worth while. My cottisations. 23% of earnings, then my tax at what ever rate that is going to be, another 23% ?? then the cost of running it, then the damage and inconvenience.

I am a pensioner and would have had free health cover in any case. Now I also pay for it.

It seemed like a way to raise some money. Now it seems a waste of time. I have not seen any profit this year I am seriously disillusioned.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Morristhedog wrote:If I live in my house, and let part of it as a gite do I also have to pay extra tax fonciere? This is a new one for me.

I am thinking the whole thing is not worth while. My cottisations. 23% of earnings, then my tax at what ever rate that is going to be, another 23% ?? then the cost of running it, then the damage and inconvenience.

I am a pensioner and would have had free health cover in any case. Now I also pay for it.

It seemed like a way to raise some money. Now it seems a waste of time. I have not seen any profit this year I am seriously disillusioned.
No extra taxe fonciere but some CFE.
You will only pay cotisations on the amount after "abatements" which in our case is 71%, so only pay CSG on 29% of earnings from the gites.
You will only pay extra "income tax" if you exceed the limit, which depends on your circumstances and your UK pension amount.
What would Plato do ?
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Please will you use the whole words and not initial letters so that I can understand. CSG ? CFE?

The form I just received from SRI wants me to declare my income when they will take 23.10 percent of all of it. That will be cotisations towards health cover. Since I am a Brit pensioner this was already covered. I seem to be sliding down hill rather than improving my lot! Then of course the tax people will also take a slug. I am very confused since when I started I understood something more like you are saying would be the case.

I went to the chamber de commerce where all this has been put in place. I can't afford all this extra money.

Do you have a Siret and pay SRI????
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Where do I go for proper advice. It is like a darned expensive suicidal minefield.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

and Morristhedog what the heck is SRI if you think people should use TLAs
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Crikey if you don't know what SRI is, must be something I don't need to pay??

SRI is the name of the French organisation that will now be collecting cotisations from me every month towards my health care.

I used to have CPAM (No can't think what that stands for exactly but the folk that sort our medical stuff here) and being a Brit Pensioner I didn't pay anything. Great Britain did. SRI now want 23.10 % of my rental income for the last three months. This will pay for my health care instead. As to what SRI actually stands for, it is Regime Social des Independants. (I bet you are as wise as me now???)

I figured everyone paid SRI if they had gites? This is what I have been led to believe when I went to get my siret. Do you all have siret numbers? Do tell. I am in a real quandary now?

I was told this was what should happen by a woman at the chamber of commerce.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As it happens I do know what SRI is, but you were the one complaining about people not using proper words not me. I am UK resident so some of the stuff doesn't apply, such as CPAM.
I was given a SIRET when I completed my first tax return, but haven't yet paid cotisations, as I was not required to do so.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

I was not complaining Helen, I was stating a fact. I do not know what they mean. I need information, and so I have asked for clarification. My understanding from the information I was given at the Chamber of Commerce was that I must pay cotisations for my health care, even though I am retired and already Great Britain pays for my health care. I figured therefore this must be the same for all of us. Hence I used a term common to everyone, as I thought.
You are telling me new information.
If you are not a resident in France then different things would apply to you for sure.
Did you apply to the Chamber of Commerce for your siret?
I lack any comprehensive information, but seem to be paying out rather a lot more than other people.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

And my point was that you were using them yourself when others might not know their meaning.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Morristhedog - CSG stands for Cotisation Social Generalise
CFE is Cotisation Fonciere des Enterprise
If you want to know what these things stand for then you should Google.
Did you not ask any questions before you started on this way of life ?
What would Plato do ?