Aluminium mesh sun loungers

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
fincafern

Aluminium mesh sun loungers

Post by fincafern »

Does anyone know where to buy these at a reasonable price - Malaga CDL areas ?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Possibly worthwhile me putting an update; ours are still going strong. No issues, nice and comfy with a towel and stains easy to scrub off...except for th eodd white sun lotion stain which has to be karchered at the end of season.
Easy to stack and storage too. So worth buying Finca!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Leroy Merlin had a decent selection of aluminium & mesh loungers. I toyed with getting some myself because two of my teaks ones had suffered war damage, but in the end it was cheaper for me to replace the two teaks ones than buy six new aluminium ones. http://www.leroymerlin.es/productos/jar ... bonas.html
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Casscat wrote:Leroy Merlin had a decent selection of aluminium & mesh loungers. I toyed with getting some myself because two of my teaks ones had suffered war damage, but in the end it was cheaper for me to replace the two teaks ones than buy six new aluminium ones. http://www.leroymerlin.es/productos/jar ... bonas.html
I see that many of those seem to use the same thing at the back to adjust the angle of recline. If like the ones I bought a few years ago, it's a piece of plastic on an otherwise fairly solid structure. That plastic toothed part broke on every single one of mine and one guest even complained it was dangerous because it broke unexpectedly.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think you have to see them 'in the flesh'. Some are quite flimsy but others much less so. In the case of my teak loungers the 'toothed' bits were the least strong part of the unit and this is where the damage has occurred. My teak loungers were double the price of the aluminium ones.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

We gave up on anything more elaborate/expensive than white plastic years ago and this sort have served us really well since then (always with washable cushions on top). They are more expensive than this (we pay €49 but we don't have any big stores like Leroy Merlin locally and they may be stronger than the LM version).
http://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/16153522/t ... cha=010103

We have not had to replace any for five years and they are in really good nick apart from two that we took home and left out during the winter - they are now stained and need replacing.

Our aluminium mesh ones which cost nearly twice as much only lasted two seasons because the stitching fails (sun?) and you can't repair.

The really important thing with plastic ones is to get ones with as few moving parts as possible (no wheels, no fold up opportunities, no arms which can be raised etc)
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Thanks for all your help everyone. Pepsi, can you advise where I can buy washable covers. I presume yours are removable so can fit in a domestic washing machine ?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

fincafern wrote:Thanks for all your help everyone. Pepsi, can you advise where I can buy washable covers. I presume yours are removable so can fit in a domestic washing machine ?
I made them! I also invented a design which makes them easy to remove. Envelope style but with two flaps so they can be turned over in extremis (although I have spares and so far have managed to wash them when required). The flap also fits over the lift-up back and there are strips of fabric which go under the seat near the bottom and are secured with velcro as we get some sudden gusts of wind and they can end up in the pool...

In plain cream fabric from the market (now almost white thanks to the sun). I use old normal lounger cushions (the sort you buy in the market and which last about five minutes before the fixed covers split or fade) covered with old sheeting fabric as a fixed liner, mostly from old sheets at home or from charity shops. Third year of this system and not had to spend any money in that time on new cushions! If one or two of the covers gets badly marked they would be easy to replace.

They take up about as much room as a double sheet in the machine.

You can see them on home page of website but it is not immediately obvious how they work. If you like I can take some closer shots next time I go? http://www.villa-rental-andalucia.com/
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

fincafern

Post by fincafern »

That is really clever, Pepsi.....
I would really appreciate some closer shots too if you can spare the time.
I think the idea of the flap going over the back rest is ingenious. It can be windy here too and we also lose cushions into the pool.
Would you recommend a white material as opposed to cream. Colours fade here so quickly in the sun, which is why we always use white towels, plus we can get the sun tan lotions off in the wash.
Is there a particular type of material you would recommend ie non iron or lightweight, or towelling ? Also interested in the velcro bindings and how they are attached.
We have 10 beds but I think I could have a go at making them.
Many thanks.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Not sure when I will be there as we have a busy week at this end and OH will have to go on pool duty on his own but will do next time I go.

I would probably have bought white but I got a very good deal on a whole roll of cream (€4 per metre for 2,8m wide). I should think they will be white by next year!! Perfect for the job - it actually has quite an attractive grain in it. But the plain stuff they sell in markets (Loneta) and that the seat cushions you buy in shops are usually made of would do very well. We can usually buy the white version here for about €6 a metre or sometimes even less. You would need about 14 metres for 10 as you need about 70cm width each for top and bottom including seam allowance and there is enough left over at the bottom for the flaps. Lightweight throws can also be cut up - did that for fitted sofa cover recently and it was a lot cheaper than buying upholstery fabric.

I made the straps about 2.5cm wide out of the same stuff and attached them into the side seams about 30cm from the foot and added velcro to each end. I think I should patent it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You would probably need to press them after washing if you use the loneta. My fabric is quite good for not showing creases especially once they are stretched on.

I probably would not use towelling as they would take up more room in the machine and also be very bulky if you do the double flap. Also nice towelling is very expensive.

fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Many thanks, Pepsi.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Please can someone remind me how to post an image!?? If not, please can you pm me your email, FF, as I have taken pic of the top of the cushion but completely forgotten how to post them.[/img]

Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Depending upon the format you can just copy and paste, but if not then you may need to upload it to a hosting site first where you will get a code to copy and paste. I have often used http://tinypic.com/ All you need to do is 'choose file', select the image you want to upload, click upload now, answer the 'captcha' question, and then you will get a series of tags. Copy the one that says IMG code for forums and message boards and then paste it into your forum message. As if by magic your image will appear :D