August Bank Holiday Week

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
kg1

August Bank Holiday Week

Post by kg1 »

Always the last week to go - do you price the August BH week the same as the rest of the summer? It's right on when the kids go back to school, so not attractive to families, but in our area it's usually lovely with lots going on, but still is always the last to sell. Also if you let it go got a week end break, how much premium do you put on the price? Thanks.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I stopped doing that 2 yrs ago Kyrenia because it was always a difficult one to sell. I now price it the next level down....though this year I let it go at our cheapest rate because it ws some returning guests and I had a feeling I'd be discounting it anyway.
I'm always amazed how hard it is to sell given its a bank holiday week.

My 3 hardest weeks to sell are;
1st week in June, the one that falls after the May school holiday.
Last dates June in to first dates July
August bank holiday week.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Yes it can be a pig to shift, and I usually drop that week to next level down. I'll sell the weekend or midweek for the standard 70% of full week rate.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

August bank holiday has always been hard to book and I've been pricing it the same as September for the last few years. It's still available at both our cottages and I'm about to send an email to our previous guests to see if I can tempt any of them.

If there are no takers then we'll go to one cottage and offer the other to relatives. It's extra tricky because we're away in August so I want it booked before we go - I don't want to be trying to sort out last minute bookings while I'm on holiday. (What were we thinking - booking ourselves a holiday in the holiday season!)
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Same here; it has always been a tricky week to sell. However, I've always priced it the same as any other August week and always sold it in the end. Luckily I've got a two week booking this year covering that period. Guests have to leave on the Wednesday due to schooling but were happy to pay for the full two weeks. I'm currently trying to sell the 3 days for them, so that I can refund the difference, but losing hope now. Unfortunately, I was unable to persuade the following guests to take those nights at a discount.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Thanks peeps. Glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with it. Going to give it until end of July then decide whether to drop the price or settle for a long weekend. Can't afford to take it myself, need the cash this year!

GB 70% seems fair to me, thank you.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Went very early this year - probably as the schools go back a little later. I usually offer it at a weekend rate of 80% of peak rate for 4 nights and it usually lets.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

80% sounds even better :D
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kyreniagirl wrote:80% sounds even better :D
+1
We do short breaks all year and work on 70%, but if anything that's towards the low end of the range which seems to be from 65% - 85%. Knock out the extremes and 70% to 80% seems typical - depends where you are!

Just re-read the above and our weekend is 3 nights; for a 4 night weekend we'd also be 80%.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

greenbarn wrote:
kyreniagirl wrote:80% sounds even better :D
+1
We do short breaks all year and work on 70%, but if anything that's towards the low end of the range which seems to be from 65% - 85%. Knock out the extremes and 70% to 80% seems typical - depends where you are!

Just re-read the above and our weekend is 3 nights; for a 4 night weekend we'd also be 80%.
Must admit to usually quoting for short breaks off the cuff, depending on whether I really want it or not. I really should sort myself out!
Annew

Post by Annew »

It really is probably worth having a pricing structure ready and to hand.

I've radically changed our business this year in response to the increasing demand for short breaks. There has been no resistance to my weekend pricing whatsoever (between 72 - 82% of the weekly rate for a weekend break of up 3 nights, or a 4 night midweek break depending on season) and I've seen my turnover increase quite a lot YOY. A lot of our London people arrive late on a Friday and leave on Sunday evening, so some of our running costs have also fallen.

It's also made life a lot less stressful with changeovers, but I m very strict in sticking to only a Friday or Monday changeover.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Annew wrote:It really is probably worth having a pricing structure ready and to hand.

I've radically changed our business this year in response to the increasing demand for short breaks. There has been no resistance to my weekend pricing whatsoever (between 72 - 82% of the weekly rate for a weekend break of up 3 nights, or a 4 night midweek break depending on season) and I've seen my turnover increase quite a lot YOY. A lot of our London people arrive late on a Friday and leave on Sunday evening, so some of our running costs have also fallen.

It's also made life a lot less stressful with changeovers, but I m very strict in sticking to only a Friday or Monday changeover.
Do you charge the same for 2 and 3 night week end breaks then? We are remote owners and have to go down each changeover. 1 3/4 hrs each way. Not too bad. Doable but I work Mon to Thurs so try to stick to whole weeks in the summer at least.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Do you charge the same for 2 and 3 night week end breaks then?
Yes. If they'd only want 2 nights, I say they have the full use of the cottage and can leave any time in the afternoon or evening, instead of a 10am exit.
I also say I would have to pay the cleaner double time for Sunday.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

zebedee wrote:
Yes. If they'd only want 2 nights, I say they have the full use of the cottage and can leave any time in the afternoon or evening, instead of a 10am exit.
Same here. We have a "Short Break Rate" which covers either a weekend (any time between 4:00pm Fri and 10:00am Mon) or a midweek stay (any time between 4:00pm Mon and 10:00am Fri). The period guests choose to use within those limits is up to them; if they want to leave at midnight on a Sunday that's fine.
Annew

Post by Annew »

greenbarn wrote:
zebedee wrote:
Same here. We have a "Short Break Rate" which covers either a weekend (any time between 4:00pm Fri and 10:00am Mon) or a midweek stay (any time between 4:00pm Mon and 10:00am Fri). The period guests choose to use within those limits is up to them; if they want to leave at midnight on a Sunday that's fine.
Same here - a weekend break is just that - Friday for up to 3 nights, departure by 10 on Monday.