Accommodating the disabled / additional needs

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
SarahV

Accommodating the disabled / additional needs

Post by SarahV »

Hi,
I'm planning to turn a self contained annex into a studio apartment holiday let. This will involve putting in a new shower room , toilet and kitchenette. I doubt we'll have the room or budget to be 100% accessible to all but I'd like to keep it in mind when we design the layout and buy the fixtures and fittings. I've found lots of links to existing accommodation but nothing yet to help me starting out. Does anyone have any links , advice or suggestions? Thanks
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Don't know a lot about it, but wider doorways (to accommodate wheelchair users and those on crutches), non slip flooring, walk-in shower with grab rails, plenty of space beside the toilet (for wheelchair) and I've got an idea that the toilet itself should be at a different height to normal (but can't remember whether it's higher or lower :oops: ). Light switches lower than usual, electric sockets not at floor level and if you have a pull cord for anything (bathroom/toilet extractor fan), make sure the cord can be reached from a wheelchair!

I'm sure if you contacted your local charity for the disabled, they'd be pleased to advise as well.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Hi Sarah

A good starting point would be to google your local authority Building Regs department. Here you will find all the necessary regulations in terms of size, measurements, level thresholds etc. It is important to get this right if you want to describe yourself as being able to provide accommodation for persons with limited mobility.

Once you are up and running you will also need to have an 'Access Statement' readily available to guests. This should give a full detailed description of the access to the property (i.e. approached by a tarmac drive) including measurements of everything i.e. height of any steps, height of beds, kitchen worktops etc.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Personally I would talk to your local building control bods. They may have to approve any woks you intend on doing therefore it is best to get them involved right at the start.
Doing a search I have found a number of PDFs available on various areas relating to access, toilet, kitchen and bedroom access.
for instance; http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Builders/Products ... gsEngland/ then click open the Part M: Access to and use of buildings section there is further information on this subject. This is for new builds but it will give you an idea if what you are planning is viable. It is no good doing half a job when it comes to disabled access.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

Brilliant advice, thanks.
Martha

Post by Martha »

No advice I'm afraid but it's such a good idea. This is an old building and access is limited but I do get a number of enquiries just because I have an access statement on the site. It's a good thing to do of course, but also makes good business sense :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

I don't think I'll be able to accommodate wheelchairs but id like to make adaptions where I can. For instance , I'm thinking of a walk in shower rather than an enclosed shower which would make things easier for a number of people ( including me as they are easier to clean ;) ) . I'm also hoping to go without wall
Cabinets in the kitchenette as not everyone can reach them (including me at 5ft 2in). Also pull out drawers rather than deep cabinets in the kitchen might be more accessible. A bed that isn't too high to sit on and a chest of drawers that isn't t too low. I'm sure there are a number of things which most people take for granted until they become less mobile through illness or age.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

SarahV wrote:A bed that isn't too high to sit on
More importantly, a bed that isn't too low. Sitting down is the easy bit; it's getting back up again that's the hard bit for most elderly or less mobile. :wink: Same applies to the sofas, particularly if the are deep too.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

Good point and a settee with good head support. I don't want the place to look too adapted and too clinical but even using lever handles as opposed to knobs on the doors makes life easier for some people as does having some electric sockets higher up. We need to add more of these so might as well keep this in mind. Contrasting colours makes a differnce to the visually impaired so just having the step into the shower (if we can't avoid a step altogether) in a different colour to the floor and shower tray will help. Not a bad thing for everyone, anything to avoid laminated signs and hazard tape everywhere !
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

SarahV wrote:using lever handles as opposed to knobs on the doors makes life easier for some people
And on the taps. I agree it's the little things that most of us so take for granted. I have a lot of discreet adaptations without it being obviously adapted for less mobile people. I also have a grab handle at the front door which is not an obvious disability handle. You'll be amazed at how many people grab hold of it, even perfectly able people.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

Bunny wrote:
And on the taps.
Another good point. Thanks
Stewart

Mobility Facilities

Post by Stewart »

Have a look at www.courtsidefalkland.co.uk. We thought that ramps to the property, level floors, level access to patio, an electric stair lift between floors, a wet room and Doc-m rails would pull 20 to 30% of total rental business.

Lucky to get one or two bookings per year where these mods are needed/appreciated. Despite also targeting disability listing sites in the UK these seem like very expensive features for the return.

Could have installed a luxury hot tub with change to spare.

Think also how guest will be able to maneuver around the outside of your property.

The most popular feature is the electric rising and reclining armchair. It is an expensive item (e1000 ish)but we feel worthwhile as a result from older and stiffer clientele who really like its provision and these guys tend to come back.
Bunny

Re: Mobility Facilities

Post by Bunny »

Stewart wrote:Have a look at www.courtsidefalkland.co.uk. We thought that ramps to the property, level floors, level access to patio, an electric stair lift between floors, a wet room and Doc-m rails would pull 20 to 30% of total rental business.

Lucky to get one or two bookings per year where these mods are needed/appreciated. Despite also targeting disability listing sites in the UK these seem like very expensive features for the return.
I have to agree and my facilities are not as good as yours. In my case, a lot of my disability features where down to current building regulations. I too, only get a couple of bookings a year who book because of my facilities. I've got one coming up soon, yet she told me she has such trouble finding anywhere suitable, so you would have expected more bookings if that is the case.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Maybe just think in terms of capturing more grey £'s or euros from an older clientele. Dispensing with a bath, spending money on a wet room, grab rails and seating that isn't difficult to get up from is maybe the direction to aim for. People are living much much longer.

May want to think about a clean and unclutered layout that dementia sufferers benefit from. A segment that is growing with us is the sons and daughters taking their really old and frail parents to our cottage.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Stewart wrote:Maybe just think in terms of capturing more grey £'s or euros from an older clientele. Dispensing with a bath, spending money on a wet room, grab rails and seating that isn't difficult to get up from is maybe the direction to aim for. People are living much much longer.

May want to think about a clean and unclutered layout that dementia sufferers benefit from. A segment that is growing with us is the sons and daughters taking their really old and frail parents to our cottage.
Yes, that's true. I've have had quite a few bookings with 90+ year olds who have appreciated the facilities and booked my cottage for that reason, but a lot less bookings for younger people using wheelchairs.