Email from Friends Reunited - Do I Click Link?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Casscat

Email from Friends Reunited - Do I Click Link?

Post by Casscat »

Didn't know where else to place this so I will try here :D

I have just received an email from Friends Reunited - remember them? I have to say I barely do but they were at the starting line in terms of social media. Anyway, the email reads:

At the end of February, FriendsReunited sadly closed down. Prior to this we wrote to all members explaining that a large number of you have old photographs on the site, and we recognized how these pictures had great importance to you.

Our records show you have some pictures within the site, so if you would like to access these and download them, please click on the link below.

http://sunset.friendsreunited.co.uk/#/s ... b4068377ca

When logging in you must use the email address that this message was sent to – so it matches with the records on FriendsReunited. The password can be a new one, as this will allow you to come back at a later date and recover the photos.

If you have any problems or questions then please contact support@friendsreunited.co.uk

Steve Pankhurst

Is it safe to click the link and look at the photos to which he refers do you think?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I'd say it's probably OK. The link itself is not harmful, its what could happen afterwards, but as explained below, I suspect that its quite benign.

Clicking that link takes you to a login screen, which is pre-filled in with your (Casscat's) email address, but invites you to create a NEW password.

Its the fact that you're invited to create a new password that makes me think its not phishing and probably OK.

So I'd suggest that the password you use is unique and not used for anything else whatsoever, and go ahead.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Thank you :) I am very intrigued about these 'photos' as I really cannot remember what they might be! Such a long time ago.