Rats!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
ianh100

Rats!

Post by ianh100 »

Not sure where to post this.

We are staying in a holiday let at the moment, a large beachfront property with extended family joining us. We have been here for a week already and my in-laws had started to complain about scratching and sqeeking noises behind their bed. It has got much worse to the point it went on all night last night and they got no sleep.

We called this morning and it sounds like it has been a problem before. They will come and look later today. My in-laws are refusing to sleep in the room again until it gets sorted. Not sure what we can do as I doubt there will be any other accommodation.

Anyone here had rat problems? how quickly can it be sorted out? We have paid a lot of money for this property.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Not had any issues within my property but I'm aware that the park has rat traps around to try and keep them under control. This link takes you to the British Pest Control Association.
http://www.bpca.org.uk/pages/?page_id=210

Lifted from there:
Property owners have a legal obligation under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 to keep premises rodent free, or, if rodents pose a threat to health or property, to report infestations to the local authority
If the owners don't act promptly, I'd be inclined to see if the local authority can help you. Rats feed at night, so I would expect more of the same activity if they are not dealt with.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

We had a problem with mice and rats in our kitchen last year (our own house not our rental cottages).

We set a few traps and quickly caught one massive rat! However we also made the error of putting down poison -it works great, but the smell of decomposing rat lingered for months!! We figured it had died somewhere in the wall cavity and we couldn't get access to it.

It could also be squirrels - we had one in our old house which managed to get into the space between the roof tiles and attic boarding. Made a hell of a noise running up and down!

Good luck!
aasta

Post by aasta »

We have a rat found by our assistant in our guest kitchen on Friday...we do not want to use poison so are considering setting up a live trap and then taking it 5km into the national forest to release it. Our assistants brother, who comes to do building repairs etc, arrived with a glue that is put down and catches them and then take them to be relocated.....but noone is willing do this....

We have had mice problems on occassion, caught them, and released them in forest...but rats are new.....
aasta
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Thanks for your comments so far, the pest man is due shortly so will see what they have to say. The place is managed by the local agents who have a large team of staff.

Don't think it is squirrels as we have not seen any down here on the seafront. Just hoping they can do something to keep the family happy.
russellt

Post by russellt »

A few years back we rented a cottage in a forest in northern Scotland. We soon discovered that the loftspace and a stud wall in one bedroom, adjoining the headboard, had become a den for a family of pinemartens. Noisy in the middle of the night.

The owner tried to deal with them by netting access points, but they were resilient yet harmless little creatures.

They soon cleared off when we set-up camera traps - probably frightened by the camera flashes.

Rats are a different thing, though. Quite unpleasant. Get pest control in.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

We've had rats in our own old property so I sympathise with how much noise they can make at night. If there is a lot of them, they can take quite a while to eradicate and it is unlikely to be a quick fix over night, unless there is just one or two rogue rats. I would also sympathise with the owners, as we can go for long periods without any, but they can just appear again over night.

Also the problem could be wider spread especially if there are neighbours who are not doing anything about them or could even be encouraging them.

Good that the issue has been responded to promptly. I think you just have to wait and see what the pest control man concludes.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

Google "Ultrasonic Pest Repellant". You plug them into electric sockets and they emit a noise which rodents hate so they leave. Humans can't hear it. We've had some success with mice, can't speak for rats though.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We have the agent here now, they have opened panels on the wall and have seen the rats. They say they don't know where they are coming from but the cavity has a lot of sauce sachets (The wall backs onto the beach café). They are hoping to block where they are getting in.

Family are clearly not happy. As an owner I can see both sides, but from what the agent has said this is not the first time. I am paying close on £350 a night for the house so not happy with the disruption and upset.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Very upsetting but hopefully your family will be able to see that it's the beach cafe that is the real cause of the problem. I'm sure the owners won't willingly have cut corners as no-one would want a bad review discussing a rat infestation! I guess they owners are only as good as the agent or pest control advice in the past. I think it's quite challenging to prevent them returning too. Hope it gets sorted quick and that you can persuade your family to carry on and enjoy the holiday.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Nemo,

The local agent have done what they can and have been trying to contact the owner (without any luck). The building is probably a couple of hundred years old so maintenance must be a complete nightmare. I think one bedroom must have a 15 deg slope, the bed has wooden blocks under two legs to make it level!

Fingers crossed the folks get a decent nights sleep.

The feedback question is not really relevant here. The town we are staying in is pretty much run by the one agent who doesn't allow any online feedback. To be honest they don't even solicit feedback at all. The property is in an absolute prime position and booked pretty solidly into 2018! (I wish my properties were the same).
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Clearly the source of the problem is the beach café, so I would have thought the owners' best chance of resolving it would be to contact Environmental Health. There is no way that they will let it ride and you would get an immediate response where food is concerned. They would then also get regular inspections too, to keep on top of the problem.
nealh

Post by nealh »

Living out in the country as well as keeping chickens, we have had the odd rat/mice problem. Unfortunately the cat is now too old and fat to be much of a deterrent nowadays so we had to come up with an alternative.

We were recommended to get an electric trap and can pass on the recommendation. The trap consists of a tunnel in which you place some food. As the mouse/rat enters the trap it gets electrocuted - we like to think pretty instantaneously. We didn't want to go down the poisons route or the glue traps. We got ours from Amazon. The deceased animal is then given to the chickens - it seems rather fitting seeing that it is the chicken food that is the draw to the rat in the first place....