Better quality bath towels or lesser quality bath sheets?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
G.H

Better quality bath towels or lesser quality bath sheets?

Post by G.H »

Which would you get?

Gina
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

If I can dare to write anything more in this section, I would ask "what is your target market?" That might help you decide.

(Personally I would go for better quality bath sheets - I know this was not one of your options.

Interestingly VE do not specifically assess the quality of your towels if you wish to go down the gradings route, but they take into account the general level of quality and facilities, so will look at your towels in that context. I think good sized and quality towels make a difference to the guest experience. It isn't good to skimp on them, but what do I know??? :oops: :oops: :oops: ).
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

i wouldn't go for lesser quality anything - partly because it doesn't do your overall image a lot of good, and partly because lesser quality towels just won't wear well enough - they'll go thin or out of shape of they'll fray or all of those things.

We actually supply our guests with (good quality!) bath sheets and bath towels, because different people like different things. Some use both, plus the hand and face towels as well, but some only use the bath sheets or bath towels and leave the others folded on the rack. The cost factor, when written down over a couple of years, is minimal, but the feeling of being looked after well seems to be huge!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

French Cricket wrote: The cost factor, when written down over a couple of years, is minimal, but the feeling of being looked after well seems to be huge!
'Nuff said!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I think it depends on the level you are charging at. £400.00/£500.00 per week, I would not expect luxury towels, just decent ones. £1000.00 per week absolutely I would.

Unfortunately Gina as you haven't put your website up I can't tell in your case. (mine is on my profile)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

kyreniagirl wrote:I think it depends on the level you are charging at. £400.00/£500.00 per week, I would not expect luxury towels, just decent ones. £1000.00 per week absolutely I would.
+1
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Bath sheets - I ordered bath towels online at the beginning without realising the difference in size. We got feedback from several guests that the towels were too small. After a while we replaced them with bath sheets and they haven't been mentioned since. Go for the best quality you can afford and, as the others have said, consider your market.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I supply these...and they're lovely.the description is correct...they do feel thicker and more luxurious but aren't bulky, and they dry quick.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/pure-cot ... dpredirect

Also the bath towel is a decent size. I don't do bath sheets because I just don't have enough storage space. ...and I think it's less of an issue in a hot country.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Mouse wrote:...and I think it's less of an issue in a hot country.
I now have a mental image of your guests drying off by running around buff naked outdoors... :shock:
kg1

Post by kg1 »

The other issue is as Mouse says, storage, also getting the larger bath sheets dry. If you are in the UK, and using a tumble dryer in cooler times of year (August! :D ) you might want to factor in the cost of that too.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

You can get good quality towels at a very affordable price if you are buying in quantity so I would not compromise. I have no storage issues so I have 600gsm cotton bath towels and bath sheets. Any heavier than 600gsm I find are too bulky.
G.H

Post by G.H »

Sorry i should've given more info. I can't put the website up yet as we're still in the buying process but we're then trying to turn it around asap so buying things now.

It's UK, Scarborough and £300-600 type bracket however it's being really well decorated and furnished so it'll be elegant but a bit quirky and very family friendly.

I wouldn't get cheap towels whatever but there's some John Lewis ones with masses of brilliant reviews that are only £15 for a bundle (2x bath sheets, hand and face towels) which gets us the size without the cost of soak and sleep/king of cotton. Or the m&s as recommended when I've a 20% off are a great price. Just wasn't sure if I'd better off with king of cotton bath size over a chain store etc bath sheet. We need 12 of each so ones with the cleaners and one in use plus ideally spares so a few pound different makes a big difference!

Gina
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I can also recommend Costco hotel bath sheets. For the price, they are very nice thick fluffy quality. You can buy them in large bundles too.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

As a general guideline, and not just for towels, can you identify your target market, have a good estimate of what they'd have in their own homes, then offer them the same or better?
ClareW

Post by ClareW »

Really useful info here thanks... can I butt in with another towel related question- should they be white? I know in hotels towels are usually white, but in a FHL is white also the thing to do or can coloured towels be used?