Feather bedding and cushions

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Synthetic all the way here. My father is severely allergic to feathers so we have always been feather free and I extended this to the cottage automatically.

I also don't want to be replacing expensive feather and down duvets in the event of a major mishap.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I don't have duvets, but my standard pillows are duck feather and down. I have hollowfibre pillows available for guests with allergies. I don't make mention in advertising (maybe I should) but my property guy points them in the direction of the synthetic pillows during the meet and greet.
Last edited by Casscat on Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

My personal opinion is that you really can't beat sleeping under a light as a feather duvet whilst remaining warm and cozy. I think that's why it is a luxury item. Synthetic duvets are so heavy and unforgiving and they don't flex enough round bodies.
I find the same with pillows.....and I am a nightmare where pillows are concerned. I can't tell you how many I have gone through trying to find the perfect ones :shock: I absolutely hate hard bulk-like pillows.

But.....my mother always said I was like the princess and the pea :)

We are all different and we are never going to please everyone.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hubby is extremely allergic to them, so none in my house. We've accidentally got some feather scatter cushions, and I've had to throw out the cushion pads and buy new synthetic ones. With no room for a choice for guests, they've got to be synthetic. I am currently using one with a 100% cotton cover which does make it feel nicer.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We have non-allergic "down-feel" pillows and duvets - the duvets are every bit as light as feather and down, and the pillows are (to me at least) better, as they don't clump (and they're washable).

I buy them here so have no idea whether they're available outside France - sorry.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

French Cricket wrote: the pillows are (to me at least) better, as they don't clump (and they're washable).
The feather pillows I bought are, surprisingly, washable at 60C! They are these ones from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/es/es/catalog/products/80269546/ I think they're fab, really comfy (the firm ones) and the only vague negative is that the piping around the edges is a bit stiff. I have them at home for my own use as well as at the finca. They 'mould' really well and haven't become flat or lumpy.