Read this before 'Liking' FB pages

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
NonnaGiulietta

Read this before 'Liking' FB pages

Post by NonnaGiulietta »

Hi there, good morning...

I open this topic as a warning to all other LHMers, with reference to this thread:
Post your Facebook pages to be 'Liked'

Yesterday (after a certain inactivity on this forum, I confess) I realized that some new entries were queued, so I was indulging in Liking a number of pages, before it popped up a warning enjoining me to stop what it looked like an illegal activity (together with a photo-captcha to prove that I was a human). Of course I immediately stopped dispensing Likes, but it was enough (trying) to rely to a harmless thank message to trigger the block (for the records, it was kyreniagirl's message). My account was then locked and I was asked to submit an id-card with photo, which I did. It was not possible to re-log in for about 12 hours, until this morning when I was given back the access. But for a whole month I'll be banned from making Likes, post on my profile and what's worst on my page(s), post or reply to messages. In short, I can only lurk.

For heaven's sake, I'm not tearing my clothes off, I live just fine even without FB, not a social-addicted. The only regret is for doing all this heedlessly, without reflecting on the possible consequences, especially with regards to the management of my apartment's page. So beware, don't do like me, always reflect on the consequences of your actions. In the age we live in, even what it may seem like a playful activity could lead to unforeseen effects.

Speculating on the scheme behind, I reach three possible reasons why all this has happened:
  1. FB engine has a routine that identifies repetitive tasks and mass-mailing. It's more than obvious, but that does not explain -in my opinion- the severity of such a long block (keep in mind that I'm not a recidivist);
  2. Some of my friends, annoyed by getting continual shares of my Likes on his/her timeline, decided at some point to report them as spam. I wouldn't say any of my friends is so bastard, but life always holds surprises;
  3. Some of the owners of Liked pages didn't like the successive message, which I sent to introduce myself and ask him/her to reciprocate. Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.
All in all, I tend to the first one.

Moral: never do mass-liking, do it a little at a time.

Good day to you all.

Maurizio
Nonna Giulietta Apartment
NG on Facebook

God gave us the gift of speech, but has taken from us that of silence (Sergio Bolgeri, painter)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sorry you got caught in the system, but facebook has long had that policy, triggered by too much suspicious activity such as mass liking and messaging. It's exactly how the scammers and like farmers work and we want fb to keep a lid on them, so it works both ways.

I have had a warning once or twice when my page was new and I was doing lots of reciprocal liking and commenting with other businesses, but as long as you only do what fb deems 'normal' activity, you'll be fine. I agree that a month is a long time, the first offence is normally treated less harshly! I suspect it wasn't the likes so much as the messaging if it was private messaging? fb really tries to prevent mass messaging.