You know it is silly season ......

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Frenchlady

You know it is silly season ......

Post by Frenchlady »

when guests take time out of their holiday to send an e-mail to complain about a cracked glass (even though I checked the glasses especially the ones hidden at the back), a chipped and dirty plate (probably hidden by previous guests way down the pile), the recycle info card not in the drawer as stated in the house book - black sacks are provided for food waste and yellow recycle bags have pictures on them, glass in the bottle bank ..... SIMPLES!!!

Perhaps they would like to know what we have found in the past, shit in the shower (on more than 1 occasion), used Durex (complete with contents) under the bed, more food on the floors than sold in Sainsburys, filled nappies hidden in pots beside the log burner, shall I go on .........

After a 6 hour changeover in 35 degrees heat I will not beat myself up because I missed one cracked glass and a dirty plate. Will be interesting to see how they leave the house in 2 weeks time.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

I posted this on another thread a day or two ago, but I received a one star TripAdvisor review because they thought my cutlery was too bendy.

A heinous crime for which I should have been tortured and been forced to give the guests a full refund.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

To play devils advocate, although they are little things, you now know that they need throwing away/replacing when you come to do the next changeover.

We complain when guests don't let us know what needs doing, so perhaps we need to let little ones like this pass over us simply, with a nod and a smile and an email reply saying thank you for letting me know. No, I wouldn't be in a good mood after a six hour changeover either in that heat. :wink:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, Nemo, indeed ... Frenchlady, if you're like us you'll almost certainly ask your guests to let you know if anything is missing, broken, damaged or not working ... could it be that that's what they were doing, rather than complaining?

I'm always happy when mine let me know of things in good time as it means I have time to organise replacements etc ready for the next changeover.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Oh I think you can usually distinguish the moaners from the helpful contributors! :D
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

While inwardly sighing I would be writing to thank the guest for drawing it to my attention. :wink:
Kate11

Post by Kate11 »

When you tell guests before they book that there's no bus service nearby so they book anyway and then complain that the resort is unsuitable for them because they can't get a bus .....
COYS

Post by COYS »

French Cricket wrote:Yes, Nemo, indeed ... Frenchlady, if you're like us you'll almost certainly ask your guests to let you know if anything is missing, broken, damaged or not working ... could it be that that's what they were doing, rather than complaining?

I'm always happy when mine let me know of things in good time as it means I have time to organise replacements etc ready for the next changeover.
I once got a text in the middle of the night to tell me that there were no "men's glasses" Turns out they wanted pint glasses, not the smaller Pilsner types we had. I sent a reply to say our range of glassware wasn't gender specific & heard nothing more but it was still listed as a "need" in our guest book.
What never ceases to amaze me is that in spite of supplying the changeover team with a big stock of matching spares we always turn up to an eclectic mix of mismatched glasses, mugs etc. straight from the local cheapo store.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

COYS wrote: I once got a text in the middle of the night to tell me that there were no "men's glasses"
That's given me my laugh for the day - thanks COYS :lol:
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

In the last week

Is it normal to have ants in Spain?

Text at 2am (I've found 3 cockroaches in the bathroom, one is dead'

Where is the TV? I can't live without TV for 15 days? (advert advises there is no TV)

where is the air con? (advert advises there is no air con)

The meter is not working, keyholder goes round, theres a big sign on it saying 2 euros coins only, the contract states 2 euros coins only. Guest' Oh yes I read that but thought it wouldn't matter'

Are people getting stupider?? (is there is such a word) or lazier and cant be bothered to read anything? or both?

I just don't get it, if it was me I scrutinize everything before I make a decision
Pen

Post by Pen »

... when you get a text message at 2am asking for the wi-fi code so they can let people at home know they arrived safetly.

Erm, that'll be printed label on top of the livebox saying wifi code = xyz

"people at home" not to be disturbed by texts of course!
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Agree with Casscat - you can tell if guests are moaning or being genuinely helpful.

We ask guests to let us know if there's anything that we could do to improve etc. Recent guests said that a garlic press would be useful and that the potato peeler was a bit blunt. Easy to sort out.

To be honest such a relief that that kind of feedback is so minor - we had a 'smelly bathroom' problem last summer - resolved after a few weeks but stressful for us during that time - so blunt-potato-peeler-feedback is like music to our ears.

But even the guests who mentioned the smelly bathroom were so nice about it. I think if you build up a few brownie points by being super-helpful, nice welcome pack etc - people are normally quite forgiving.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Nemo wrote:To play devils advocate, although they are little things, you now know that they need throwing away/replacing when you come to do the next changeover.

We complain when guests don't let us know what needs doing, so perhaps we need to let little ones like this pass over us simply, with a nod and a smile and an email reply saying thank you for letting me know. No, I wouldn't be in a good mood after a six hour changeover either in that heat. :wink:
Oh, I changed the cutlery straight away, and we have a guest book where we openly invite comments/suggestions etc. which is where most guests let us know if we could be doing things better.

It's the 'I'm giving this place one star on TA (for bendy cutlery, I mean, bloody hell)' brigade that get up my nose!
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Well we went to see the guests this morning to resolve any issues. I think they were just covering their backsides ref deposit on the little items. However they stood and lied to me about a large stain that they claimed was on one of the sheets. I said I was devastated if I had put a sheet on a bed with a stain (I knew I had not). I asked the lady to go and remove the offending sheet whilst I fetched a clean one. I looked at the stain in front of her and it was quite large. There was no way it was soiled when I put that sheet on the bed. She then said it was also on the mattress protector. Then I knew she was lying, that was clean on and spotless on changeover. They have a little baby just a few months old with them which they had not declared to the owners. Say no more. But how they could lie to me is beyond me. I did get quite angry as I needed to defend myself. I explained I will be the first to put my hands up to any mistakes and we pride ourselves on our work. She then backed off pretty quickly and looked very sheepish. We will be doing the changeover next week armed with our camera so the owners can fight back if we find damage - like the baby lying on the sofa in just a nappy and nothing underneath it!!!!!!!!!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

How can you forget you are taking a baby on holiday?