When a 1 nighter stays all day

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Frenchlady

When a 1 nighter stays all day

Post by Frenchlady »

In many, many years this is a first for us. 3 French ladies booked 1 room sharing - not a problem. Lady who booked was only staying 1 night as she had to go back to work - 2 remaining ladies staying the 2nd night. No problem. In the morning the lady who was going back to work paid her share and said she had to leave to drive home around 6 pm. No problem we thought, they would all be out sight seeing and then she would depart and 2 ladies return in evening. Oh no, all 3 ladies settled down on the terrace for the whole day. Books and folders around them so it looked like some kind of training session. Out came cool box at lunch time. Good job no other guest wanted to use the terrace as it was taken over. Late afternoon they all return to their room for a sleep (it went quiet). Now by this time in our eyes the lady who booked for 1 night should have checked out at 10.00 am (would have to in a Hotel). She did not leave in the end until 7 pm. OH was going to ask if she wanted another night. Like I say no real problem, but a bit of a cheek that nothing was explained when booking or even out of politeness asked if that would be ok. Not having a pool we are used to people going out for at least half a day to see the sights. Perhaps we should have charged a "convention" fee. You live and learn.
Last edited by Frenchlady on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

we went to a bb a few years ago and in the rooms in the information pages at the front was a very clear message that the bb was closed from 12 until 5 pm, but saying that we have people stay all day, but not when they should check out that morning, its an odd year all round,
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I can see it would be an issue if the room hadn't been booked for a second night, but not really sure what the problem is here? The way I'm reading it, it was only the one guest who was not staying that night so the room was still booked and paid for.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

I always said it was not a problem. It was just a bit rude, we thought, that she had not thought to mention that she would not be checking out after breakfast and staying around until 7 pm.

Perhaps we are too polite but I would have mentioned this to the owner at some point. She did not even say anything at breakfast when she paid, so I thought she would be leaving then, with her 2 friends for a nice day out. Did not realise we were a conference centre. Normally in a B&B they have breakfast and go out for the day. Live and learn.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Frenchlady, I'm guessing they paid more for the room for the first night with 3 in occupancy, than the subsequent night with just two guests. In which case, I agree, you are not a public venue and when the lady who booked paid, she should have left at your departure time and had no right to use the room's facilities after that time. I'm sure if she had asked permission, you would have generously permitted her to stay later with her friends, but it is the presumption of entitlement that I can see would irk you. As you say, despite it not being a real issue, it is a matter of manners.
JaneS

Post by JaneS »

I think that scenarios such as these will occur more and more in the future as lines between B&Bs and hotels blur. I believe this is down to the OTAs and one in particular in the way they insist each listing looks the same to the viewer of the webpage.

I am with you on this; guests seldom realise that their hosts have a life that does not involve them and running a B&B involves work guests do not see. I know I need time to do that side of things without guests around, not to mention the gardening.

Recently we had guests, thankfully in the separate house, who were still here at midday, so OH went in to clean the communal kitchen and lounge with the Hoover as he does after guests have gone out for the day, so it is all clean for their return. They soon went out. I too so disappear when OH has the Hoover out in the house.

I agree that they should have asked at the time booking not just assumed, but as I say above the distinction between hotel/B&B are not what they were.
JaneS
CSE

Post by CSE »

They were not rude. It was obviously a communication error.
If you have guests that disrupt your routine then talk to the guests. For example guest here can come and go as please as some take a morning walk return to change cloths and carry on with the rest of the day. Makes for a very happy customer. :)
Personally thought that closing down a B&B part of the day was reserved for the likes of Blackpool and even that practice had died out. :?:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
louloup

Post by louloup »

I can't see a problem really, it isn't as if her bed could be used for another incoming guest.

If my guests decide to spend a day at the house/on the terrace I supply them with bottled water or hot drinks. I can always find something else to do in another part of the house.

It doesn't happen very often, most guests have plans to explore the area, but I would like them to feel that they can 'make themselves at home' if they wish.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I don't think Frenchlady was objecting to them being on the terrace and did not say that she totally closed her B&B to guests during the day. She merely objected to a guest who should have checked out and been gone monopolising the terrace with her 'conference', rendering the area unwelcoming to other guests. That's how I understood it anyway.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Bunny wrote:I don't think Frenchlady was objecting to them being on the terrace and did not say that she totally closed her B&B to guests during the day. She merely objected to a guest who should have checked out and been gone monopolising the terrace with her 'conference', rendering the area unwelcoming to other guests. That's how I understood it anyway.
If that is so then the objection to what guests do is even worse than we first read. But it is for her to write about that.

The bit about closing all day was written in another response in this thread.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I can't see the issue either, her friends were staying another night so it's not as if the room needed stripping. What they choose to do during the day is their business and while it might be nice to get rid of the guests during the day, I feel the days of the formidable landlady bolting the door at 10am are long gone.

We have all manner of guests coming and going during the day, from this summer's resident hermit to the cheery Finns who came back every lunch time to cook their lunch. I've never had a problem cleaning around then and neither have they been bothered. We do have a sign up in the kitchen stating that it's closed between 10 and 11am, but other than that, our guests are welcome to hang around, even on departure day. It seems to produce a more relaxed atmosphere... and a fair number of returnees!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Yes, in our B&B era (up to last year) lots of our guests would hang out during the day, or come and go, much like yours gitemontjoly - they still do, of course. I think that's all part and parcel of opening up your home, and I rather like it and the atmosphere it creates too.

Life goes on around them, sometimes we might get the cold drinks or ice creams out, while equally if noisy mowing sometimes has to be done for an hour while guests are in, we apologise but get on with it. So it works both ways.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Respect and politeness is the issue. Would not have hurt to explain when she paid her bill after breakfast (or at the time of booking) that actually they were not going out sight-seeing (like most guests), but having a meeting, be it work related or whatever it was, out on the terrace all day and would that be ok. I suppose if it had been raining they would have held their meeting in their room .... or would she have just taken over our private lounge! Also upon retreating back to their room at the end of the day a bag of food rubbish was left on the terrace. We were expecting guests that evening so a good job OH saw it before I showed them the terrace. People need to have some respect for their hosts, after all it is their home they are staying in.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Respect and politeness is the issue
As said before it is communication.
If things had bothered you so much then we suggest you have a nice conversation with those guests about their plans for the rest of their day.
I bet they had a wonderful relaxing time, being allowed to stay. But you will not know that.