Disabled assistance dogs

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
sas401

Disabled assistance dogs

Post by sas401 »

I have just had an enquiry about allowing an assistance dog into the cottage. We have a strict no dogs policy due to having livestock at the rear of the cottage plus do not want to have the extra cleaning involved that goes with animals living in the cottage. Whilst I understand a guide dog can be totally different, I still do not want to allow any as we market the property as being suitable for those with allergies and we do not want any extra cleaning. Are we breaking the law by saying no to an assistance dog?
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Yes I believe you are provided it is a registered assistance dog.

You can however require proof that the dog is a registered assistance dog.
sas401

Post by sas401 »

Thanks caro, just been reading up a bit on it and yes it does seem to be for places such as hotels, restaurants etc however am wondering if it would be grey area as hmrc does not class it as a business but just a furnished holiday let which I do not have to be self employed for so wondering if we would come under the same rules?
Dont get me wrong, I love dogs, just couldnt have them stay in the cottage.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Can you not reply to the enquirer, explaining why you don't want to take dogs - mentioning that although you realise assistance dogs are very unlikely to worry your livestock, there is still the problem of allergens causing a reaction, despite deep cleaning, when you advertise your cottage as suitable for those with allergies.

That way, without actually refusing their booking (yet :o ), you are putting the onous on them to act generously to others and rescind their enquiry.

If they persist, could you increase (dramatically) the costs to cover the necessary extra cleaning? That might put them off too.

And in all this to-ing and fro-ing, maybe you'll get another enquiry, without doggy pal. :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

No grey area I'm afraid sas401. It's illegal to refuse to take assistance dogs. Sorry!
sas401

Post by sas401 »

Thanks all, have pointed out the issues with the livestock and have added an extra cleaning charge but will see what happens.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It may be discriminatory to charge an extra cleaning charge too, but not 100% certain.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

HelenB wrote:It may be discriminatory to charge an extra cleaning charge too, but not 100% certain.
Any charge for the dog would be regarded as discriminatory against the disabled person.

Re allergies, the following from the website of Assistance Dogs UK is interesting:
The Equality Act 2010 and DDA 1995 require that disabled people have the same rights to services such as accommodation, restaurants, pubs and cafes as everyone else. It includes a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that disabled people can access services. This includes amending a ‘no dogs’ policy to allow guide and assistance dogs in to places normally restricted to exclude pet dogs.

Allergy to dogs is sometimes given as a reason for not admitting assistance dogs. While the prevalence of allergies generally is increasing worldwide, and it is of course not an issue to be taken lightly, the incidence of allergies to dogs may be less than perhaps commonly thought. In the UK approximately 8% adults are sensitive to dog allergens, while it is estimated that up to 4 times as many people are allergic to pollen and house dust mites. Where a clear allergy risk to a specific individual can be objectively identified by an establishment, steps should be taken to reduce this risk, for example by accommodating an assistance dog and handler in a separate part of the room or by getting non dog allergic staff to take over serving duties. But refusal of access for assistance dogs based on the possibility that other people ‘may’ be allergic is unlikely to be classed as a reasonable or proportionate response.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I thought so GB, had neighbours for years with a guide dog.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Oddly enough, one of my other neighbours was refused a taxi ride recently with her dog, and made the national papers.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

HelenB wrote:Oddly enough, one of my other neighbours was refused a taxi ride recently with her dog, and made the national papers.
I think the taxi driver has to have some form of medical certificate to refuse an assistance dog?
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Correct. The taxi driver must have an exemption certificate, usually on medical grounds.
sas401

Post by sas401 »

All very interesting, it has certainly opened my eyes :shock:
I will have to read more into it and rephrase things for future enquiries.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

greenbarn wrote:
HelenB wrote:Oddly enough, one of my other neighbours was refused a taxi ride recently with her dog, and made the national papers.
I think the taxi driver has to have some form of medical certificate to refuse an assistance dog?
He didn't, just an expensive Merc he didn't want the dog in.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Yes I think the extra charge would be discriminatory, I think I would retract it.

I just had a wheelchair user stay and the booker said how hard it was to find anywhere suitable, I don't promote it but do drop a few hints like,

No steps
All on 1 level

I don't tick the wheelchair friendly box as the bathrooms have width restrictions, like a door and 60cm entry width to shower.