Burkini banned in France

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

The Conseil d'Etat has declared the ban illegal and a serious attack on civil liberties. It has been lifted by decree in the first commune it was applied in, and by implication will have to be lifted in all the rest.

Thank heavens common sense and decency has prevailed. I was becoming ashamed of being (nearly) French.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Thank heavens for that! It was a source of national shame for the French :(
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

The French High Court has just overturned the burkini ban on one beach. Hurrah for common sense and equality.
The best things in life are free
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

According to The Independent, the ban has been suspended - in one district anyway, with more to follow presumably.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 11396.html

That ruling may well scupper Sarkozy's plans - he was standing on an all-France burkini ban platform :roll:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Apparently, when asked to comment on the French burkini ban, the Muslim Council of Great Britain replied:
"The French authorities are in good company: the only other people forcing women to change their clothing at gun point are Daesh."
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

PW in Polemi wrote:Apparently, when asked to comment on the French burkini ban, the Muslim Council of Great Britain replied:
"The French authorities are in good company: the only other people forcing women to change their clothing at gun point are Daesh."
Great response.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

PW in Polemi wrote:That ruling may well scupper Sarkozy's plans - he was standing on an all-France burkini ban platform :roll:
Two pieces of good news then!
Jim
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

PW in Polemi wrote:That ruling may well scupper Sarkozy's plans - he was standing on an all-France burkini ban platform :roll:
Simply that? There must have been something else, about the economy say, or EU relationships or taxation. Maybe it was just Carla who didn't like Burkinis.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

sc
Last edited by salmoncottage on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I believe Nigella Lawson was pictured on a beach a few years ago wearing a burkini. My very fair-skinned nieces (or rather their parents) were challenged at our local thermal baths as they were wearing all in one SPF swimsuits to visit in mid-August. My sister works for a cancer team dealing with skin cancers. She was not the person to challenge over this, and actually went to speak to our Maire about it.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Why should I strip off on a beach if I don't want to? !! We should be free to wear what we are comfortable in whatever our gender.
If that includes dressing modestly, then that's fine by me, if it is also fine with those wearing them. It should be their choice and their choice alone. Why do people think it is 'good' to wear nothing, and 'bad' to be covered up?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Absolutely.

Whatever we may individually think about the misogyny behind hijab, the effect of the burkini ban was to curtail the civil liberties and human rights of women. And to make them responsible for crimes of others. Madness, sheer and utter.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Should the French legislate once again on appropriate beach-wear, could they make burkinis compulsory for "the usual" speedo wearers? ;)
pambon

Post by pambon »

Absolutely crazy. Would rather see a woman covered up than boobs and bums fully exposed and middle aged flab hanging down everywhere.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

pambon wrote:Would rather see a woman covered up than boobs and bums fully exposed and middle aged flab hanging down everywhere.
I spent yesterday at a water park with my two young nieces where every type of body was on display. The girls are too young to be judgemental about bodies, they just saw a whole lot of people having fun together and I think that's the way to go. The desire to see a woman 'covered up' for purient, cultural or religious reasons so she doesn't offend the eyes of others seems a sad reflection of the increasingly beastly world in which we now find ourselves and should be stoutly resisted at every opportunity.

A 'woman's right to choose' - how often I chanted that refreshing slogan at demos in the 70s. We have gone backwards since then.
Jim