Burkini banned in France

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Jimbo wrote:
pambon wrote:Would rather see a woman covered up than boobs and bums fully exposed and middle aged flab hanging down everywhere.
I spent yesterday at a water park with my two young nieces where every type of body was on display. The girls are too young to be judgemental about bodies, they just saw a whole lot of people having fun together and I think that's the way to go. The desire to see a woman 'covered up' for purient, cultural or religious reasons so she doesn't offend the eyes of others seems a sad reflection of the increasingly beastly world in which we now find ourselves and should be stoutly resisted at every opportunity.

A 'woman's right to choose' - how often I chanted that refreshing slogan at demos in the 70s. We have gone backwards since then.
Jimbo, I'm not being judgemental as I also believe in the right to choose. I do feel however that women have gone too far in their lack of modesty. Nowadays on the beach you see young women with a small triangle on their pubic region and a thin strap (presumably, as it is invisible) deep in their but. Absolutely nothing is left to the imagination. On the other hand I see plenty of fifty plus ladies in bikinis with so much flab hanging down that the waist line of the lower half has disappeared beneath this flab.

I wonder if these women ever look in the mirror? It's not their choice I have a problem with, it's their mindset.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Jimbo wrote: The desire to see a woman 'covered up' for purient, cultural or religious reasons so she doesn't offend the eyes of others seems a sad reflection of the increasingly beastly world in which we now find ourselves and should be stoutly resisted at every opportunity.

A 'woman's right to choose' - how often I chanted that refreshing slogan at demos in the 70s. We have gone backwards since then.
I remember many (many) years ago, when OH and I were on holiday on one of Greece's many islands and I was then so slim I had a pair of "fried eggs" when lying down (and not much more when standing :lol: ). We'd deliberately walked to the far end of the beach, away from the families, and to an empty area, so I could sunbathe topless. When I wanted to cool off, it was straight into the sea, swim and straight back to my towel. No parading up and down the beach, no intention to offend anybody else. But we did notice one couple, quite some distance from us, and the man kept looking in our direction. Nothing was said or done until OH went up to the beach bar to get more cold drinks. The man followed him and tried to pick an argument, claiming his wife (who wasn't the one looking at me :roll: ) was offended by my toplessness, and he didn't fight in the Korea war to have to put up with this sort of thing. :shock: OH's response was to the effect that if the man hadn't been spending so much time looking, his wife wouldn't have been so offended and besides, he actually had bigger boobs than me so perhaps he should be the one putting his shirt on! :lol: The bar staff were highly amused - we had free drinks for the rest of the day on that one!! :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I go to a local French conversation class. The French and Dutch regularly use saunas (naked) and go to naturist beaches and resorts. They think we Brits are incredibly funny with our contortions and actions to undress and get a swimming costume on under a towel on the beach and not let anyone see any flesh. They just don't understand why we do it.

They asked me if I enjoy being naked, do I go to naturist beaches etc. I just said "I'm British!". That seemed to answer the question ....................
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I was on holiday in Turkey a couple of years ago and on one of those wonderful days out on a gulet dropping anchor near to glorious 'inaccessible by other means' beaches. You plunge off the side of the gulet into crystalline waters so pure you can see right down to the seabed many dozens of meters below you. One of my 'perfect days'. On this particular day another gulet moored up not far away and out popped the happy holidaymakers for the same experience as me. The guys were in the usual array of aesthetically inadvisable trunks, bermudas etc. and the women were all in burkinis. I will admit to a bit of surreptitious staring because it was not exactly usual. At the time I think I probably did a certain amount of quiet tut-tutting because the blokes were *able* to dress just like every other holidaymaker from around the globe whereas the women looked like colourful seals (and they were colourful as their swimwear ran the whole rainbow range). What I take from it now, however, is that they were all having a fabulous time laughing and swimming and chatting just as we were on 'my' boat. I am not sure that the burkini women, if asked, would have wanted to trade their swim attire for my Gottex swimsuit any more than I would be enviously eyeing up a stringkini as worn by a Marbs beach-bunny. Yes, it may boil down to choice in as much as if I really wanted to look like I'd been tied up in the sort of bag normally carrying oranges I could whereas burkini woman probably could not without a certain jeopardy, but into all this has to come acceptance of cultural differences and the slow and steady process of change. Not all that many years ago the 'colourful seals' would have been at home while the menfolk went out on a bit of a beano. Enforcing change at gunpoint just fosters resentment and rebellion. It can turn the clock back, not forward.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

GillianF wrote: They asked me if I enjoy being naked, do I go to naturist beaches etc. I just said "I'm British!". That seemed to answer the question ....................
I'm British and I always go to naturist beaches whenever I can. To me bodies are just bodies - I don't judge or believe that big is better than small or small is better than big, and I don't see bodies as being shameful in any way. I love the freedom of being without clothes and of being amongst others who feel the same way.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

sc
Last edited by salmoncottage on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

salmoncottage wrote:Considering the current security climate in Europe and with memories of the Tunisian beach outrage still fresh in the minds of many, if there were no armed police on French beaches today there would surely be outrage as to why not.
Yes, the Tunisian beach massacre was, as I recall, carried out by a band of burkini-clad women. Oh, sorry, my mistake - it was a bunch of blokes in trunks and bermudas :roll: There are NO armed police on the beaches of Spain, Turkey, Greece or even Tunisia. They are in the background, as is reasonable given that the whole of Western Europe (tourist zone, coast/beach and city) is on high alert, but in no other space do the police stand over a woman on a beach and tell her she's wearing too many clothes.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Living in France i cant believe how many people think this ban is correct! If your going to ban some beachwear please start with speedo's! (there is something very dark about people who wear these)
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I know someone who was kicked out of his local swimming baths, because the "S" fell off his Speedo. He wondered why he was getting funny looks.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

edinburgh wrote:I know someone who was kicked out of his local swimming baths, because the "S" fell off his Speedo. He wondered why he was getting funny looks.
:D
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

edinburgh wrote:I know someone who was kicked out of his local swimming baths, because the "S" fell off his Speedo. He wondered why he was getting funny looks.
Made me laugh so much I choked on my spittle! :lol: :lol:
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com