Help, electric cooker not working

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Giraffe

Help, electric cooker not working

Post by Giraffe »

Current visitors have just informed me the electric oven has not been working for 2 days. New visitors arriving Sunday, day after tomorrow.

I am an offsite owner, 220 miles away. Local manager will attempt to get an electrician out, but difficult as it's bank holiday weekend here in the UK.

I may need to buy a new electric cooker and have it delivered quickly. Does anyone know of an online company which provides a fast delivery?
The best things in life are free
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Wait until you have identified the problem before buying a new cooker. Panic measures ?
What would Plato do ?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Check out Appliances Online (AO) and John Lewis. Also any local retailers who can be really good (eg part of the Euronics group) and can deliver/install locally.
Is the oven separate from the hob and on a different circuit and breaker?
What does "not working" mean? Absolutely dead? (Is it switched on at the wall point? Has the breaker tripped?) The light/fan comes on but no heat? Guests have a habit of leaving their thinking heads behind when they go on holiday - "not working" may translate as "finger trouble", cured by "RTFM".
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks bornintheuk and greenbarn for responding so quickly, and for your advice.

Cooker is freestanding, around 10 years old. I'm just getting my options in place in case it's not repairable.

Visitor advises that the oven light comes on but it doesn't doesn't heat up. He thinks it may be the heating element. I am 220 miles away. Have left a message for my local manager to have it checked by an electrician. Bit I'm not hopeful that this will happen over the bank holiday weekend.

But fingers crossed, it might easily be solvable. If not, I want to be able to act quickly to minimise inconvenience to guests. Ao looks good for selection of cookers and speedy delivery/installation.

Thanks again.
JanB

Post by JanB »

I feel for you, it causes such anxiety and these things always happen when it is not so easy to get someone to fix it.

It definitely sounds as though the heating element has gone and, if it were me, as it is a ten year old cooker, I would simply buy a new one as it will be peace of mind and the knowledge you have a brand new cooker which will not give any problems for some years to come.

I always use AO.com, they are marvelous and will install for an extra cost amd remove old cooker, which will be perfect for your scenario. I have had cookers, washing machines and dishwashers the very next day. Brilliant company.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted quickly. The kind of problem made even worse when it is Bank Holiday!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

So sorry for you - I had this happen in June, it was the resistance element in the oven that had gone. I ordered a new one but it took several days for it to arrive then we changed it ourselves. Guests were very understanding but then as I live on site I was able to bake everything they needed which was nearly every evening (they were French and cooked a lot, it sadly wasn't BBQ weather!). I hope you manage to source the part and get it changed quickly - I wouldn't want to be without an oven on holiday!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

+1 for AO.com for speed of delivery.

+1 for replacing a ten year old cooker.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks JanB and la cache. So helpful to have everyone's input.

My cleaner is going to check today to see if the settings have been fiddled with, which may have turned the oven off. The cooker has 2 ovens, hopefully the smaller one is still working.

I take the point about replacement. By the time I pay double for bank holiday callout, pay and wait for a part (if it is repairable), pay again for the repair man to do the repair, pay the housekeeper to travel and let the tradesman in and be in attendance each time, compensate the guests - the costs mount up. A new cooker may be better VFM. Have looked at AO and found one which has next day delivery and installation.

If I lived close by then this sort of situation is more easily manageable. Being an offsite owner significantly adds to overheads. But this is a fact of life that I live with, and I work these costs into my charges.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

And thanks Bunny, you just beat my response.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

We had a similar problem that turned out to be caused by a safety cut-out inside the body of the cooker, designed to cut the power if the casing of the cooker had got too hot. It was re-settable by pushing a button, once accessed by taking the back off the cooker.

As a result of a panic replacement at the time before the full diagnosis, we now have a spare cooker. :roll:
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Another +1 for AO - I've had them deliver on a SUNDAY when ordered on a Saturday before!
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks Richard and Edinburgh.

Being off site I have to get tradespeople in to do the checks and repairs, and pay the housekeeper to make the arrangements and attend. This can take a long time in the depths of Cornwall! It's times like this that I wish I was onsite with an OH to do immediate checks and repairs.

As an off site owner, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go for the more expensive but timely solution.

In this case I've emailed the client to explain the situation. I'm crossing my fingers that the problem isn't major.

Thanks to those who recommended AO. Have spoken with them. If I place and order, the earliest they can deliver is Tuesday. The earliest they can deliver and install is a week away. If it's necessary, I'll go with a local Euronics supplier who can deliver and install on Wednesday.

Thanks everyone for helping. I live on my own, and it's really great to have others' expertise at times like this. Much appreciated.

Giraffe x
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Hello everyone. I thought I would let you know what's happened.

Housekeeper and husband checked cooker on Saturday - both ovens definitely not working. She could not get a tradesman to come out over the bank holiday weekend. Therefore likely to be the end of this week before it could be repaired ( if indeed it could be). RESULT. Visitors without ovens all week.

Ordered new cooker via local Euronics dealer. Being installed tomorrow. What great service. Visitors without ovens for only 2 1/2 days.

Also did the maths. The new cooker costs very little more than repair ie. 2 call outs by tradesman + spare parts and repair time + 2 call outs and management time of housekeeper, + compensation for visitors.

RESULT. Visitors very happy, informed them of problem before they arrived and of progress. Me, very happy that it's been resolved very quickly and with minimum disruption to visitors. Plus I have a new cooker.

One question - the visitors have been very understanding and not complained. Do you think I should give them some compensation? It would have to be money as I am not on site to give them something special.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

There's two ways of looking at it IMO. Some guests eat out and don't use the oven anyway, so the only inconvenience is having a delivery of the new oven. But even then they may be out. So they may be making no fuss because it really hasn't impacted them.

On the other hand it is such a relief when guests are understanding and don't complain, especially when we are increasingly in a compensation culture. It so easily, could have gone the other way.

I would just get housekeeper to leave them some chocolates and wine to show you appreciate their co-operation. However I still wouldn't make any further offers until they have left and you see what condition the cottage is left in. If they go off happy and the cottage is in good order, I would just offer them a discount off a further stay for example. I don't think you need to offer them a refund if they are not asking for one.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks Bunny. Good idea to review once they have gone. I'll do as you suggest.