Targeting crafty people...

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Emmy

Targeting crafty people...

Post by Emmy »

Apologies for posting this in two places... I really wasn't sure which place was best...
I'm new to all this - we opened in July. We are in Charente, France and have 2 gites and will be offering B&B as well. However, my main focus is going to be Sewing /Textiles holidays and retreats and I was hoping for a few suggestions about how I might go about targeting specific groups of people, please. I'm thinking specifically, now, for the UK market (will post in "UK" section too).

I've advertised on FB groups directed at people living in France and am very pleased with initial feedback both for regular workshops (though actual signing-up might not be as healthy as enquiries!) and weekend/weekly holidays. I've also had a booking from a lady in Spain who found my personal website. What I thought you might be able to help with... Any ideas, apart from very expensive/ unaffordable magazine advertising? I'd really appreciate any ideas at all!

I've been self-employed before, as a designer-maker, and I like the idea of advertising to people who don't realise they want what you're selling until they see an advert for it, if you see what I mean... Where they're actively looking for a Sewing holiday - they might well find my website - but I want to try to target people interested in sewing who might think "Now there's a good idea....".
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

How about contacting the WI in UK?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

facebook crafting groups. There are loads, but approach the admins directly first and get their interest. If they like the sound of it, they will be more willing to allow you to advertise it. Many groups just don't allow advertising.

PS you don't need to post in two places. Many regulars use the "new posts since last visit" link, so will see the post regardless of which section it's posted in. You can delete your duplicate post before anyone posts on it. I'd give you exactly the same advice over on the UK forum. :wink:
Essar

Post by Essar »

Investigate if you can advertise through the Hobbycraft stores in the UK - they usually have a "local craft board" for ads - formalise it with a commission? Maybe even an ad on their website.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Good idea, the various craft groups meet in the local shops here. There is usually a notice board so tour round yours.

Serious point,..I would like to go on a holiday let educational holiday if it was held somewhere nice. Things have changed so much I think it would take off.
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

Thanks so much to all of you - these are good ideas! I really appreciate your input...

Gardenboy... You're right - I think there IS scope. We've had "standard" gite guests in this week but both families brought along projects to work on while they were here.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Emmy if you advertise via WI. Quilters Guild (national and regional options for both) and craft / sewing magazines in UK then why not offer deals for groups. Otherwise you may find you get a great number of enquiries but they will quite likely all want different dates and different courses.

With groups you'll get full accommodation and a full course, more profitable and better use of your time.

In the past I have taught on this type of residential course in France run by others, there seemed to be difficulty getting the numbers right on some courses.

I think we've been in touch before but do pm me for more info. At present I am staying not far from you.
Fleur
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

Hello again, Fleur.... This is really helpful - thank you so much! It's so good to get other perspectives on this sort of thing. I'll certainly pm you if I have any other questions!