Flea and threats

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
SteveG

Flea and threats

Post by SteveG »

Please I need advice. Had a family stopping in holiday home and have now claimed it was disgustingly dirty and they caught fleas.

We have a strictly no pet policy and have had previous weekly guests and have recieved 5 star reviews on cleanliness and brightness.

The guests are now asking for compensation for having been bitten by a flea.

We have had no other compliants from guests and we are mortified.

The guests claim that they had to go out and buy cleaning products before they felt comfortable to eat in the property. We have a cleaner/caretaker and she is first class and goes above and beyond to help.

On their day of arrival, they were met and shown around the property etc etc and appeared very happy and excited.

On Friday before they were due to leave on the Saturday, we had an email to let us know they were leaving because they could not tolerate been bitten again in such a dirty property.

They now say they will post a detrimental and bad review (although they don't really want to) unless they have compensation for a truly dreadful holiday in 6 years!!

Neighbours have told us that they seemed very happy and laughing etc, even up to the Friday that they left.

What do I do? I have acknowledged her email demanding a response within 48 hours or she would have no alternative but to contact the HA holiday site and complain and post an awful review.

My reply to that email was that we have recieved the email and are looking into her allegations, and will contact her when we have looked into them.

Her response to this was again dreadful with more threats of damaging or reputation etc.

This is so stressful, can someone guide us as to how to deal with this please
GRL

Post by GRL »

I am sure someone will be along shortly who can best advise you on what looks, to me, like blackmail but one thought crossed my mind - have they given you any proof that they are flea bites? We are flea-free at home yet I am have been bitten to death by mosquitoes this year as it has been hot so I have been sleeping with the window open.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi SteveG, I am sorry to hear about your current problems, its a nightmare we worry about all the time. The main thing is to remain calm and professional in any dealings you have with your guest.
Has the guest provided any evidence either of the flea bite(s) or other signs of infestation?
What has your cleaner/caretaker said about the situation? Was she the one who showed the guests round and if so did they say anything about the cleaniness at the time?
Had the guests contacted you or your cleaner/caretaker earlier to complain about things?
It does seem very strange that the guests were there all week and only decided on Friday night that they coudn't stay any longer, they could be trying it on? I would treat the complaint as very suspect until they can prove otherwise.
Essar

Post by Essar »

You have my sympathy too; however, due to their timings (Friday before they are due to leave) and the nature of the problem (a flea bite) that is very difficult to prove or disprove, then I suspect that they are trying it on. The threat of a contacting HA and leaving a bad review is a giveaway.

As said by another poster you need to stay calm and not rush into sending off a response too quickly. I would merely acknowledge receipt of the complaint and advise that you will be in touch shortly.

I would include in your response a request for proof of the bite and evidence in support of their claim that the property was filthy; you will probably discover that they don't exist. I would also point out that you have advised HA of their attempt at blackmailing you into giving compensation with the threat of a bad review - having of course done just that. You do need to get in first with HA and advise them of the blackmail attempt and include the email received form the guests. I suggest you also get your cleaner to give you a statement regarding the meet and greet and if you can the same from the neighbour (you may not need either).

There will be others on here who will be able to give you a perfect response example.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Sympathy from me, too.
I presume you have in your terms and conditions that guests must contact you immediately they have any concerns to allow you to address the matter??
If so you can quote this.

(If by some oversight, you don't have the requirement I would say they did not give you opportunity to address any short fall in cleaning and therefore there is nothing you can do.)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Excellent advice from Essar as always.

One thing to add.....I understand that in English law the service provider has to be given a chance to 'put things right'. As they didn't allow you that they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I agree it sounds like a classic scam.....but it's not nice being on the end of it.

HA shouldn't publish a scathing review when you've shown evidence of their threats. It was very daft of them to put that in writing.
I suspect if you put up resisted centre with the evidence that you have, they will disappear after a bit of bluster.

If you need help drafting a reply then LMH'rs are great at making suggestions.....so please don't feel alone in this.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

All good advice. They have had almost the full holiday so the most they would be entitled to would be 1 night refund although I wouldn't be inclined to offer anything. I'm fairly sure they're trying it on and if they did leave early it was for some other reason.

I agree that they should have reported the cleaning issues right away and they need to provide evidence of fleas (I've had loads of mosquito bites this summer too).

Definitely forward their email to HA straight away.

Remember there's no hurry - take your time to write a calm, polite and factual response and leave the ball in their court.

Something along the lines of 'we're concerned to hear about your issues as we've have had such consistently positive feedback from our previous guests. Unfortunately it is too late for us to rectify any cleaning issues. If you'd raised these at the start of your holiday we would have been able to send our cleaner back immediately to sort them out for you. Please could you give us more information about the insect bites - we don't allow pets so think it is unlikely there would be fleas in the house. Do you have any photos that you could send us?'

it sounds like they left without consulting with you first. They cut their holiday short without giving you the opportunity to look into other options so you are not responsible for their decision.

By the way, is it easy for guests to contact you - do you have your phone number in the property?
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thank you every one for your brilliant advice. We dont feel so alone now and know that you are there.

We are getting a Pest Control company to visit and check this out, for our peace of mind now! and obviously so that we can conduct our responses to the ex-guest correctly and in the right manner.

We have no doubt that our property is not flea infested, but at least its reassurance for us and future guests ( if the damning review is posted).

Please keep giving us suggestions and advice, it is so very helpful
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

So sorry to hear about this. I had a similar threatened blackmail attempt 4 years ago.

Ha actually were very good and although I had no proof as it was verbal they said they would alert me as soon as any review was submitted so I could provide evidence on my side. It wasn't as the scammers disappeared.

I now video on my phone just before guests arrive. Leave the TV on so it's date stamped and open all cupboard doors, toilet seats etc. In fact as I do it I imagine showing the video as evidence in court, so don't sing or mutter to myself as I walk round.

Takes 3 mins and I keep the video till the deposit is returned.
GRL

Post by GRL »

Fleas are actually very easy to spot as they respond to movement and body heat. If you are brave enough, walk into a room you suspect them to be in, with your feet and lower legs bare and a bar of wet soap in hand ;). If they are there the little blighters will leap on you straight away. To catch them slap the wet soap on them and they will stick to it and you can then squash them between your thumb nails. If you do have fleas you will however need to get the house treated as the bare leg/soap method isn't good enough to kill them all :roll:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Can your ex-guest prove that the flea (or whatever it was that allegedly bit her) was in your property when they arrived? Maybe they brought it with them or let it in (if a mosquitoe or no-see-um)! :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

I'm not sure if this is of any use but this topic has come up before

viewtopic.php?t=26041&postdays=0&postor ... ea&start=0
herbie

Fleas

Post by herbie »

Never submit to blackmail. Personally, I would say let them submit the review and as TripAdvisor then let you know you can prepare your response so that it appears directlybelow their review. At the same time you can publicly request photographs and proof that they were bitten by fleas. Could happen to anybody walking past the front door, but if you cave in it will no doubt be repeated. I had a similar request but related to a bee stinging the renter while riding a quad bike. She wanted confirmation of the full price paid but probably didn't appreciate the fact that I confirmed there were 4 people at the villa not just one. Some folk try anything.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thank you for your help and support

She is now leaving messages on our phone. We havent answered any as of yet, because we are waiting for pest control to give their verdict.

She is also now saying the iron leaked and it was a threat to their life, and a half eaten sausage in the garden which was a health hazard.

Seasides have seagulls which are scavengers and pests, taking food from unsuspecting people. We are still waiting for a complaint about these seagulls too.

We realise now that she is trying to pull a fast one, but stress levels are full on. We are not that concerned about the threat of her 'honest' review as we can rectify that with a few words and having the previous reviews stating how cean and fresh the place is.

Is this a one off, or do you get this alot??
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

I sympathise with you in this situation Steve and I know how easy it is to take it personally and become stressed.

However, from what you have said I am certain you have a chancer on your hands who's playing you to see what she can get. The half-a-sausage incident and that she's demanding you respond in 48 hours confirms that to me. She's making you panic.

If you break all this down into small pieces, I don't think there's really much to worry about. That's not meant to sound dismissive by the way. It will help if you can regain control and realise she's playing a game, albeit a mean spirited one. Take your time whatever you do and please don't pay her to go away. Also, what advice would you give to someone in the same position as you?

So, she's threatening to leave a bad review unless you pay her off - that's the crux of this. I would explain the threat to HA and see how it plays out. Maybe they will prevent her from publishing the review but if not you can easily respond to restore the balance.

As for the phone calls....ignore her or block her number.

She's really, honestly not worth the grief. Ignore her and she'll go away.
Here we go again........