Flea and threats

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thanks again everyone.

She has carried out her threat for the 48 hr timescale and presented reviews.

We did infrom HomeAway of her threats, but now have had a dreadful review on Facebook, Trip Advisor have had one too, but have contacted us, and also HomeAway have sent us a copy of her email complaint to them.

Is this legal or acceptable.

We are seeing the Pest Control officer on Monday and we have verbal confirmation today the apartment is clear of fleas, official written confirmation will be in our hands then.

It goes on, oh 15 bites now, not the 5 originally!!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think as it is your own Facebook page you can disable reviews and lose it although maybe you lose others with it ( do you use it for review gathering?). I expect someone more techy than I will be along to tell you where to find how to do this. I do hope both TA and HA take note of your pest control report and her threats. Sympathies.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

Would it be legally acceptable to have a thread naming these people so others can look out for them? If not, I am sure it would be OK to state their postcode.
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

If she's now published her reviews and there is proof that her claims are unfounded, you have now been libelled and can persue her for any damages to your reputation and loss of business.
If it were me (because people like that really pee me off), I'd pay a solicitor to fire off a letter to that effect and inform her that you will sue her for any loss of earnings that result from her defamation. You have proof now, she has nothing but accusations which are getting wilder by the day. The fact they stayed so long in a place they considered unsafe (!?!) would be questionable for a start!

There is a closed members forum here, perhaps a thread could be started there to name people like her in case she tries it on again? Thankfully, people like that are rare, but seem to be on the increase if what I read on various blogs and forums is correct.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

If it were me (because people like that really pee me off), I'd pay a solicitor to fire off a letter to that effect and inform her that you will sue her for any loss of earnings that result from her defamation.
Sadly, I think it's would be difficult to prove what losses you had actually incurred. However, I agree with the sentiment, and you could initiate the small claims process by sending a "letter before action" in order to have the same sort of effect, but at no cost.

Saying that, do you have legal assistance with your insurance??? This may allow you to utilise the services of a solicitor in responding directly to her.

However, the urgent priority would be to scan the report from the Pest Control into your response to her review to show the world that the allegations are entirely malicious.
I think I would also make reference to the half eaten sausage dropped by a passing pigeon and her allegations that this was a health hazard to her as well to allow the public and future guests to see exactly what has gone on.

I really feel for you, as this situation could happen to anyone and is stressful beyond belief.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

SteveG wrote:We did infrom HomeAway of her threats, but now have had a dreadful review on Facebook, Trip Advisor have had one too, but have contacted us, and also HomeAway have sent us a copy of her email complaint to them.
Do you know if the reviews have actually been published, or have you just been informed of their existence?

Its highly likely that you can get them removed from HomeAway and TA provided you clearly point out that the review was used as blackmail to get a refund. You have the evidence. TripAdvisor make a big thing about anti-blackmail.

In either event, ensure that you add to the review an owner response. Remember that you're addressing this to the general public and not to the guest. Subject to you fixing the facts and tinkering, this is the sort of wording I mean.

These guests stayed for 6 days and had no complains. In fact they remarked to our neighbours what a great time they were having [can this be verified?]. It was only towards the end of the holiday that they decided to try and get a refund, so wrote to us with the threat of a bad review.

We have had the property checked professionally at our own expense, and nobody could find any faults described by these guests.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Can she also provide photographic evidence and written confirmation from her GP confirming the bites are in fact flea bites and not midge or mosquito bites?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Also, is 48 hours a reasonable enough time to investigate? Has she provided any photographic evidence to back up her claims or is it all based on her word?

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

joddle

Post by joddle »

Of course guests also have a duty of care to themselves and their family members (especially of there are minors there as well). If as they say the iron was "dangerous" it should have been reported to you straight away and of course you would have rectified/removed it (if indeed there was anything wrong!) Also the "danger from the sausage" should have been reported at the time. By continuing to stay in a "dangerous place" and not either reporting it at the time nor doing anything about it really ruins their case. So that leave the fleas - and you seem to have that covered too. I am sure Trip Advisor will take appropriate action when they have all the facts - blackmail is after all a crime.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sorry about this Steve; for some there is no level that they won't stoop to extract money back. A bit like those who will happily submit a whiplash claim for an injury they never received.

Others know better than I about the listing sites and have advised you accordingly. As far as facebook goes I think you have several options. I'm going to pm them to you as I prefer not to reveal all in the public section of the forum.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Steve I'm really confident that you will put this chancer in their place with no lingering aftertaste in the form of deceitful reviews etc. but in the meantime it is presenting you with a whole heap of hassle and stress and anxiety. I would love to think that there could be some consequence for the blackmailer, because a blackmailer is clearly what they are. If you haven't already taken legal advice then do. I get really, really angry when I read about cases like yours but most victims are so relieved when it's over that they don't take things forward and prosecute the lying toe-rag who attempted to extort money with menaces. http://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/blackmail/
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

My 2 most disrespectful guests coincidentally had very similar surnames and were not connected. I now treat any enquiry with a surname like that with great caution.

Have ha not withheld publication of the bad review pending investigation. Wasn't there a court case about malicious negative reviews on TripAdvisor recently, I am sure I heard about it on you and yours r4.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The link above from Casscat ends with a very sobering little point that may be worth dropping into any reply that you send (or when anyone else is in this situation). Its probably hardly ever enforced, but acts as a great wake up call.

For the offence of blackmail under the Theft Act the maximum prison sentence is 14 years.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

e-richard wrote:The link above from Casscat ends with a very sobering little point that may be worth dropping into any reply that you send (or when anyone else is in this situation). Its probably hardly ever enforced, but acts as a great wake up call.

For the offence of blackmail under the Theft Act the maximum prison sentence is 14 years.
Lol! A little sideways on topic, the guest I submitted a small claim against recently has now filed a counter claim against me, he's included his email response to me in his claim documents which includes 'I will be uploading all the pictures and copies of emails from yourself to trip advisor
On failure for you to accept some responsibility' I hope that's noted by the court.

SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Well, I informed Trip Advisor and HomeAway, reported to Facebook got solicitors advice, but to be honest, it appears the customer is always right.

Be warned there is little we can do, even though we have evidence of no flea infestation. They (the guests) have got legal aid and small claims court interaction.

This has been the most stressful awful terrible situation to be in. They have gone to great lengths to maintain they are the victims. Irrespective of my non infestation, somehow they have managed to create everything to their advantage.

My solicitor advised that unless I wanted to spend and fight for an unlimited time to prove this, back and on letters, which cost a fortune ( I cannot claim legal aid) then a suggestion of a goodwill payment could be offered.

Regrettably, this I have done, much to my disgust. Of course, they have accepted and probably laughing all the way.

I could not manage the stress and worry and I know it would not be beneficial to my family or indeed myself.

Bitter experience, but such a learning curve.

Please do not expect support from either Trip Advisor or HomeAway in these circumstances.

Thank you all who have offered invaluable advice and moral support.

How can I forewarn others of this dreadful woman if she tries to book in to their accomodation

Kind regards

Steve G