TA asking for my tax details

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
booboo

TA asking for my tax details

Post by booboo »

Hi all, I got a email from TA asking for my tax details before they can pay me. I have already had payments from them. They say they need it be Dec 16th. Has anyone else had this request? They never requested this before? Its not a problem for me to do this i just find it a bit odd!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
booboo

Post by booboo »

Thanks for that.. i was thinking it was a scam!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I actually got an email from them this morning asking for the details. It only took a few moments to complete but I am seriously irritated that a foreign country with which I have no financial or residential links can demand such information from me.
Blanche

Post by Blanche »

I too first suspected a scam so went to TA the usual way to find the message there too. I was seriously tempted to cancel my ad but I suppose it is easier just to give them my tax number. And after all what could anyone do with the info? Pay my taxes? But seriously, what a cheek.
La Maison du Curé
www.cormatin.eu
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I've just forwarded my email to my accountant and asked him if I do have to comply.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

From my accountant:

As you do not own property in the US, I do not understand why you would have to respond to the questions. First thought was that it was a scam email but maybe I am being too cynical!

...and I found this in the TA T&Cs, I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with them holding payments 'on our behalf' and then paying us?

(s) Taxes. IRS regulations, regarding federal tax reporting requirements, stipulate that FlipKey must collect IRS Form W-9 from all Managers in the United States or provide your foreign tax ID and related information as requested for Managers outside the United States. You understand and agree that you are solely responsible for determining your applicable sales tax, value added tax (VAT), goods and services taxes (GST) or other municipal, state and federal indirect or other withholding and personal or corporate income taxes ("Taxes") reporting requirements in consultation with your tax advisors. FlipKey cannot and does not offer Tax-related advice. Additionally, please note that each Manager is responsible for determining local indirect Taxes and for including any applicable Taxes to be collected or obligations relating to applicable Taxes with Listings. Where applicable, or based upon request from a Manager, FlipKey may issue a valid VAT invoice to such Manager. You agree to indemnify and keep FlipKey indemnified from and against any and all claims, actions, proceedings, damages, losses, liabilities and expenses (including legal fees) suffered or incurred by us arising out of errors in your Tax calculations or your failure to account for applicable Taxes. If you fail to provide us with documentation that we deem to be sufficient to meet our obligations (if any) to withhold taxes from payments to you, we reserve the right in our sole discretion to block all payouts to you until resolution, to withhold such amounts as required by law, or to do both.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I sometimes do work for USA clients, so know a little about how they behave.

They are very rigorous about tax and money laundering.

Any suspicion and they will freeze your accounts, and you have to go to court and pay a lawyer to unfreeze them.

I sometimes wish UK was as rigorous. There are plenty of UK business scammers who rightly would be in jail if they were US citizens. But we sometimes seem to let the USA do our dirty work for us.

I'm thinking of cases like Libor and similar. But maybe UK authorities get there in the end.
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

When wearing my other business hat I've had to complete this particular application (W8-BEN?) several times when dealing with American companies who are paying money to my company so it's not something that comes as a surprise to me. Looking on the bright side at least they've managed to incorporate this in to a few simple online questions. In the past I've always had to download, complete and return a specific form.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Had the same this morning. The user journey is very broken as the first dropdown it guides you towards is VAT related which i didn't want to touch with a barge pole! If you pick the second dropdown it's a guided set of menus where you basically exempt yourself (assuming you're not a US citizen and the property isn't in the US) from any tax stuff. It finishes with a self certification / signing.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

I also received it from Flipkey

Sandra