Cleverer and cleverer

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.

At what point would you have known this was a scam?

Email #1
60%
Email #2
20%
Email #3
20%

Total votes: 25

debk

Post by debk »

Deb, do you mean you don't feel comfortable about exchanging emails...
Whoops. Sorry to be unclear. I meant I'm uncomfortable with those sites that let people book your home with their credit card, without ever contacting the owner. Most (all?) have an option for you to deny the reservation later but that still seems a bit backwards to my old-fashioned way of thinking.

I imagine I'll eventually embrace this auto-booking approach... and I accept that there are great people who just want to book a house and not interact with the owner -- I assume they are the ones who are asking right away for details on how to process payment on their cards -- but, for now, the emails and phone calls are still important to me. That's how I get a sense of whether or not we are a good fit for the guests.

Back to Scams: 070 is permanently embedded in my brain. Are there other red-flag prefixes we should know about?
debk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Glad that's cleared up Deb, it sounded strange coming from you. In fact I prefer to let to people who prefer to rent from people who prefer to let to people who prefer to...

:D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
debk

Post by debk »

I prefer to let to people who prefer to rent from people who prefer to let to people
Couldn't have said it better myself! :shock: :lol:
debk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:D
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

"Are there other red-flag prefixes we should know about?"

Only if it's too good to be true...............no such thing as a free lunch.

http://forum.419eater.com try this link, Its a crash course in what these scum bags are up to.
Cheers
PC
debk

Post by debk »

Thanks, Paul. I read quite a bit of 419 info a few years ago... but I'm really just wondering if anyone has a quick list of specific phone number prefixes (such as 070) to avoid?

Off to help a guest figure out how to turn on the cellphone. :roll:
debk
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

My vote went for email 3 because of the over payment. I had the same thing happen a few years ago by a bloke wanting to overpay by 2500 (to be left as cash for the renter). He got quite annoyed when i refused lol

This year I had one booking that went stright in for the payment option, it made me a little wary but they turned out to be very nice people who wanted to book again for next year and were quite upset when I told them we were selling up.

becky
Becky
debk

Post by debk »

This year I had one booking that went stright in for the payment option, it made me a little wary but they turned out to be very nice people
Glad to know I'm not the only one with a few nice-yet-payment-focused guests! :)
debk
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Goat,

Completely off-topic but just had a look at your site and all the pages are loading really quite slowly - I'm on Broadband so it shouldn't be a problem.

The good news though is that it's such a beautiful site it's worth waiting for each page!

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Same problem loading your site for me GG.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's really good of you to alert me to the problem girls, and thank you for your kind words too about the site - :D
I will let our website guy know and hope he can sort it.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Lucky you - having someone to sort it for you, I wouldn't know where to start with such a problem! :?

Kathy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Beautiful site for a beautiful Goat :wink: :D :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:oops: Thanks Ros!

Hope it gets sorted quickly - response from 'our man' is sometimes a bit on the slow side....
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Gascony, :D

Your place looks lovely :D and loaded fine just now for me. :wink: