Damage found later

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Morristhedog

Damage found later

Post by Morristhedog »

I have been very poor this summer at inspection of the property. I missed a broken teak dining chair. I guess they used it to stand on? Two of the seat slats were bust. It is one of a set of six, and it is a shame. It was expensive. A friend has taken it to see if he can fix it somehow.

Later when the second family had gone I found that both of the lounge windows are broken. They are those ocio-battant style PVC windows, just over a year old. The handles on both have been forced, and now I cannot close either. The handles are floppy.

I have no idea who is responsible. I only had two families stay this summer.

A man is coming to see if he can repair the mechanisms, or I guess I have to buy two new windows or I shall be perishing in the winter.

I am so disappointed that people would not admit to the damage they had wrought.

Next time I am going to hold on to the damage deposits a bit longer, and check much more thoroughly.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Don't beat yourself up too much. We all miss things occasionally (at least, I know I do) and it is hard to check EVERYTHING.

I couldn't find two tea towels after some guests left. The tea towels were found when we put the central heating on - they were stuffed inside the boiler! Why??!!

And, our first ever guests left clutching their damages deposit and then when the new guests arrived and wanted to put ice cream in the freezer box of the 'fridge they discovered the door was broken and just propped there. Was it them or the previous guests? Would I think to check the freezer door on the 'fridge? No, I didn't.

Live and learn, live and learn.
bornintheuk

Re: Damage found later

Post by bornintheuk »

Morristhedog wrote:I have been very poor this summer at inspection of the property. I missed a broken teak dining chair. I guess they used it to stand on? Two of the seat slats were bust. It is one of a set of six, and it is a shame. It was expensive. A friend has taken it to see if he can fix it somehow.

Later when the second family had gone I found that both of the lounge windows are broken. They are those ocio-battant style PVC windows, just over a year old. The handles on both have been forced, and now I cannot close either. The handles are floppy.

I have no idea who is responsible. I only had two families stay this summer.

A man is coming to see if he can repair the mechanisms, or I guess I have to buy two new windows or I shall be perishing in the winter.

I am so disappointed that people would not admit to the damage they had wrought.

Next time I am going to hold on to the damage deposits a bit longer, and check much more thoroughly.
Think yourself lucky.
We had a brand new liner for an inground pool damaged by someone using the aluminium pole as a high jump pole to splash in the pool - 6 holes - not seen until after the deposit was repaid.
If you cant take the stress of this type of undisclosed damage then get out of the business. People today could care less about properties that aren't theirs as we have seen over 20 yrs of renting. Has to be said mainly Brits, the french are usually more respectful of the property.
What would Plato do ?
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

bornintheuk wrote: Think yourself lucky.
We had a brand new liner for an inground pool damaged by someone using the aluminium pole as a high jump pole to splash in the pool - 6 holes - not seen until after the deposit was repaid.
Thought that was just us!!!!! We had exactly the same with the first guests after we put in our pool - manager (and pool cleaner, to lots of properties) didn't notice and told us OK to refund.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Dotty wrote:
Thought that was just us!!!!! We had exactly the same with the first guests after we put in our pool - manager (and pool cleaner, to lots of properties) didn't notice and told us OK to refund.
Lifes like that ain't it !
What would Plato do ?
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

I'm curious to know if the above cases of damage were by British guests? I am considering not accepting bookings from British families because of the increased of lack of care and damage I have experienced over the past 2 or 3 years. Fortunately I get enough bookings from other nationalities when the property is always left impecable.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

And in order not to find yourself on the wrong side of the law,(race, discrimination etc etc) the reason you will give for declining the booking will be.........???? :oops: :oops: :oops:
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Dotty wrote:
OH was worried about just such a thing happening, so he made a plastic pole for the net for guest use, and locked the metal pole in the pump room for his use only!
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

zebedee wrote:And in order not to find yourself on the wrong side of the law,(race, discrimination etc etc) the reason you will give for declining the booking will be.........???? :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am so so terribly, awfully, dreadfully sorry but it is already booked for a family visit
Honi soit qui peu y boit
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

oasiscouple wrote:
zebedee wrote:And in order not to find yourself on the wrong side of the law,(race, discrimination etc etc) the reason you will give for declining the booking will be.........???? :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am so so terribly, awfully, dreadfully sorry but it is already booked for a family visit
Or,
"We are helping in the resettlement of migrants from the Jungle Camp in Calais. Are you interested in an exchange arrangement ?"
What would Plato do ?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Trouble is, your availability is shown on your website.

Sorry, but I still think you are on very thin ice.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

zebedee wrote:Trouble is, your availability is shown on your website.

Sorry, but I still think you are on very thin ice.
You are under no obligation to give a reason for a booking refusal so I don't see the problem.
What would Plato do ?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Not sure where this is going but we seem to be 'labelling' certain nationalities as better/worse than others for cleanliness, damage, attitude etc.

There was a long discussion somewhere else on here which seemed to reach the conclusion that there is no national tendency between one or another to be good, bad etc.

It seems to me that people, i.e. guests are either careful or careless or indifferent according to who they are and not from where they come or live.

Just saying ..................
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've had 3 sets of bad guests in 10 years. All were different nationalities. Most are OK, some are fabulous. Their country of origin has nothing to do with it. My best ever were French, but they were also holiday rental owners and did changeovers every weekend in Summer. I think this had more to do with it than their nationality as they went over and beyond all expectations.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I think its a fact that dick'eds, rude, messy or/and inconsiderate people are proportional displace throughout the world.