Bed Bugs & dormice.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Morristhedog wrote:The dormouse I am speaking of has a big bushy tail. The mouse trap came today, but it is far too small for my Loir.

I think the one in the kitchen has a saw.
Sounds like you need a humane rat trap. A metal cage with a trigger flap to the floor that springs closed to trap the unwary. Worked well for us in UK - and the bonus was if a hedgehog or dozy cat got in while the trap was out overnight, he was still alive albeit hungry and cross and we could release him in the morning. The rats we caught were also still alive and hungry and cross - very cross - until put out of their misery.

If you had one of these, you could catch and relocate your little darlings. :lol: Just make sure the relocation is far enough away - we relocated a fighting yowling tom cat about 5km away and he was back within 2 weeks! :shock:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Yep you are right. Tomorrow, I am going in search of a big, light weight object.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

This evening, sitting in the lounge, I keep thinking there are flashing lights.

It is a tad chill and I have lit the fire.

I am thinking the flashing is flickering flames

Then again, This week I had my second cataract op and wonder if the flashing effect is relevant to the newly implanted lenses.
But no.

The row of down lighters, that are not turned on, are flashing.

The Loir have eaten the electrics.

Tomorrow it is war.

I cannot afford to wait any longer.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They'll be hibernating soon.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I have already said that, but I feel it will not be soon enough for man or beast. :shock:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

sc
Last edited by salmoncottage on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

They have these in the UK too, where they are known as glis glis. My parents had them in the loft of their house in the Chilterns. I used to lie in bed hearing them scampering and scratching about overhead. Not un-cute, but very destructive.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

I have bought a trap today in the hopes I may catch one or two of them. I am using fruit as bait since that is what they like.

I brought in hawthorn and blackberries, and added a piece of bagel.

Wish I had an apple.

On the bed bug front, no I have not had more bites in the new room, but the existing bites had continued to itch. By now most of them are just turning into scars.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Morristhedog - commiserations on your bites. I get bitten a lot by midges when outside in the evenings. Many decades ago I was given a remedy by a very elderly aunt, although it does come with a health warning - PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCALD YOURSELF!

Take a face flannel and keep a small part of it under very hot water running from a tap. When as hot as you can bear, apply just to the itchy bump. If it stings, it's working! Apply for about 6 seconds and repeat 4 or 5 times. Once it stops stinging you will find the itching will have gone for about 12 hours and you can get a good night's sleep (notwithstanding your 4-legged housemates). I find about 3 x 12 hour applications permanently solves the problem, and the bites clear up quickly. No need for anti-itch creams which aren't effective for very long.

This has worked for me for the last 40 years, but Hatters with more medical knowledge may have a view whether it's a good or bad remedy.
The best things in life are free
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

So sorry to hear about your woes.

I helped a friend who was in meltdown over bedbugs a couple of years ago. Although not an expert I now know enough to say that sprays don't work. They are very difficult to eradicate.

I can thoroughly recommend this company; http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk The owner David Caine is a sweetheart and went out of his way to help and advise.
The first thing is to identify them and this can be done with a good photograph. There is a bed bugs forum that David is on, it is American, and they are so helpful on there. We basically stripped the bedroom and photographed any insect found!
Luckily it turned out not to be bed bugs.....but easy things to spot are tiny blood spots on bedding (they extrete when full) and to check the seams of the mattress and bedhead.

You have found one (possibly) but for anyone else who hasn't his company has developed monitors that can be used. I actually bought one for each bed....so I can check regularly.

They also advise you not to move out of the room, as they will follow, and a localised infestation is easier to deal with (they breed at a rapid rate).
You basically need to act as bait.

I sincerely hope everything is resolved - but please don't rely on the spray.....get in touch with David's company and get one of the monitors or detectors if you don't want to stay in the room (my friend didn't)

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Hello Mousie, I had no idea there were two threads. Thank you for your information.

Surely pyrethrum sprayed by me will be as deadly as that sprayed by a professional?

I guess it is pyrethrum? No idea, the product arrives tomorrow.

My natural revulsion of the situation prevents me sleeping in my bed any more.

I have inspected everything of course.

All linen has been boiled. Pillows are still in an empty freezer with the quilt, and other mattress cover. Freezing is meant to eradicate bugs. The freezer has no food in it.

All that is left in the room is the bed, forlorn in the middle of the room.

I have washed the rest of the furniture and removed it for now.

I laid the floor in there and it is a laminate board, nothing can get between or under them. Certainly not lentil sized things. Everything in there is sealed.

I have vacuumed and steamed the mattress for now. I have a commercial steamer. Although it is not meant for this purpose it would not have been pleasant for them.

The newly made bed frame, a recent purchase, is wooden and I have washed it down also.

I am a woman in waiting right now.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Just a quickie......freezing doesn't work. They just go dormant. Only heat will.....so putting clothes etc in to a tumble dryer will work.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Thank you Mousie. I forget where I read that freezing works. I am still camping in another bedroom!
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

Morristhedog wrote:Thank you Mousie. I forget where I read that freezing works. I am still camping in another bedroom!
Freezing kills moth larvae.

When I had mice, I bought some of those electronic plugs that are supposed to annoy them so they leave. Didn't bother them at all!
I set humane traps to catch them and got another cat. None since...touch wood!