Would you? Homelidays

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Foxandsot

Would you? Homelidays

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

Just starting to put our villa on some rental listing sites. I've noticed on Homelidays that if you put a link to their website on your own website you can get 2 months free rather than just 1 month.

Just wondered if it was a good idea or not to have a link to them on my own website?

Thanks

Michelle
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Not sure about the Link info. :?

But did have a free trial last year with Homelidays[3mths I think]
& got loads of Enq most from non English people which I found a bit daunting.they also asked things like square footage, etc.

Still very pleased with the response If I hadnt been doing well on the other sites would probably kept with them.

Good Luck!!!! :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've signed up for a trial and added the (rather unprofessional) link, it's only for a couple of months if no enquiries.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Susan, I must agree that the link was a bit out of character.

I then found that I could edit it to make in keeping with my layout.

Worth a try?

Robert
linda147

Post by linda147 »

I put the link very low down on my home page - people are unlikely to scroll down that far! I have gone for the free trial so am prepared to put up with this to see if they are any good!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Robert,
yes, I edited a bit to make it shorter.It is still rubbish though, compared to the others I have! I'm also not happy that despite the fact I have put the link on, they are still only offering me one month free. I've complained twice and if I have no response by next week I'll take the link off. I don't like the set up of the site as much as Abritel, the calendar feature is far more cumbersome to manage.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I put their link right at the bottom of my home page too, and after the 2 month free trial decided not to renew - it wasn't a difficult decision.
I had probably 6 enquiries altogether and all bar one were very unusual names - all from Spain or France which made me immediately suspicious (the names that is) and not one of them responded to the email I sent them.

I have no problem at all with Holiday Rentals and have probably a 70% conversion rate with them so it's not my method that's putting them off!! :D I really can't fault H-R, they've been brilliant for me but I know it does seem to vary quite a lot.

But I would still definitely take up the offer of the free trial Michelle - it certainly can't hurt!

Kathy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had some success with Homelidays last winter, but nothing since I renewed my ad. I have had loads of genuine enquiries last year too, but since then nothing. As I didn't sign up for the whole 12 months , unless things improve, I don't think I'll renew in December. I'm now keeping a spreadsheet of all the listings sites, and adding the stats to them as the enquiries and bookings come in, just to see who is most successful, not a lot to choose between them all at the moment, but Owners Direct and Holiday Lettings are neck and neck, with my own website leading by a short head. Quite a few enquiries from Internet cottages too, which cost me nothing,it was a deal through the online booking system I use,although the calendar booking system is automatic, I have found most people email first before using it. I-C also give me a link to my website, and a link to the calendar.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Hi Kathyg, Is it really 2 months since we 'spoke'?

We also had similar enquiries, but we also had 2 telephone calls to backup the emails.

Alas they came to nothing cos an English family beat them to the 2 weeks that had become available because of a cancellation. But they were clearly genuine.

I am now due to renew with them. I think I will, because I hope they will help to extend my season. Certainly the level of viewings are excellent - unless of course it is a Homelidays scam!!

The other option is Abritel, which I know Susan has had success with. I might try them as well.

Alas, H-R has only provided one enquiry, so they clearly are not working for me & I still do not know whether even one person looks at my advert with them.

I am desperate to find one consistant provider (aren't we all) & at this moment in time Owners in France (BF) provide most of my bookings. Other bookings have come from freebies, which are an excellent return on capital expenditure.

We have worked very hard over the last month to increase our ranking on the search engines and we have been delighted with the results, even on Google, who have just found us :D :D :D

A lot of this was down to Peter, who pointed us in the right direction.

Robert
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Robert,

Time flies!!! I'd forgotten about that Spanish group that couldn't get their act together! Yes I guess they then would have been the only genuine one I received from Homelidays - glad they're working well for you though!
Alas, H-R has only provided one enquiry, so they clearly are not working for me & I still do not know whether even one person looks at my advert with them.
That's the big problem with H-R, they don't provide any stats and there's really no reason for them not to, I must admit the stats from Homelidays do look good and encourage one to stay with them, but the ultimate is whether you get any bookings from them and unfortunately I haven't had one yet.

With H-R, I've had 6 weeks this summer and already 5 weeks for next year. So impressed with these early bookings that I've put the prices up - not sure whether that's a good idea or not but we'll see!!

Isn't that strange though, that H-R are so good for some people and useless for others - why is that? Does anyone have an idea?

I do hope you have a good season next year Robert.

Best wishes,

Kathy
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I read all the praise for Homelidays so decided to give them a try but for me it was an absolute waste of time-not one enquiry. Like everyone else, some sites work for me, others don't ! :roll:
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I'm one of those who has nothing but praise for Homelidays. We had the vast majority of our bookings through them this summer. The guests were all French and Spanish and a great pleasure to have to stay.

I'm told that the French tend to book their holidays a lot later that the British. We got our first booking for 2006 on boxing day 2005 and the others drifted in between then and Easter. Therefore, I think now is probably the wrong time for a free trial with Homelidays, January/February would be better.

Sarah.
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Sarah

I have been thinking about the times of year that people book holidays in order to make the most of the free trial listings.

Don't suppose anyone knows if a poll has been done on this site to find out when people book?? Or should I start one?

Michelle
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Great Idea :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't know if a simple poll would work. Every year the booking pattern is different for me personally. Some years I'm fully booked for the following Peak by December, sometimes I only have a few bookings by December and the rest get booked Jan - March. It really does vary considerably!