Villadays.com

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Giddy Goat

Villadays.com

Post by Giddy Goat »

Anyone else heard from these guys? Their email was sitting in my inbox this morning. I haven't tested it out on Google etc, but there are some criticisms I've just emailed to the people concerned, (Patrick, for a change, not another Ross!) including a typo in his email - 8). I'll list them here to see if you agree or not.

* It is an extremely good-looking site, though the colours come up a little wishy-washy on my Mac.

* I think that after the thumbnail of a property which comes up in a search, there should be more than one photo displayed on the next click, if that is possible. People tend to be a bit lazy sometimes, don't they!

* There was a frequent attempt (on property searches) by the computer to download a file, but the process couldn't complete.

* apart from the news that the first 100 (read couple of thousand?) applicants receive 4 free months of advertising, the information re pricing is deeply buried within a long 'legal' section, which is mentioned in small print at the foot of the home page. One books (and is billed) on a monthly basis. A year's subscription ranges from £153 to £204 approx, exclusive of VAT, and as far as I can see, there is no provision for an owner website link. Expensive! I guess they will argue that you can make a saving by dipping in and out - ie choosing to market at certain times of year and not others.

* I would also want to know something about the company before committing. Only an address is given, again, buried in the legal bumf.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
marcus

Post by marcus »

Never heard of them but had a quick look.

They almost don't exist in google (only one or two pages listed) and have not done any SEO so unless they are spending a lot on marketing nothing much will happen in terms of results

It is a nice looking site however, and could go places I guess - but with only 18 properties showing for France they need to be a free (or very cheap) site for a year or two first I think, then worry about charging the same as the big sites.

And Jane, it doesn't look like they will give me one of my coveted links either.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Does look a good site.

Why not tell them about LMH and get them to allow links?

A new listing site owner normally goes quite a way to get listings (buenos dias, Canary)

MountainG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Buenos Dias Canary :?: ,

Is this a clue Mountain or something more cryptic...

Can someone please tell me what happened to that thread....you know the one I mean........ :? :wink: pss if its a secret maybe a pm..... :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I guess it was zapped by the mods Ros. :( Perhaps his last response was unprintable! Silly, arrogant, short-sighted fellow.

Buenos dias Canary! :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I Know my Spanish isnt great but that is Good Morning, :?

now if it was Goodbye..Hasta Luego Id understand I think :? :wink:

So is mountain saying hes still about
and connected to another website that was mentioned..... :?:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ros, CIS (aka Jason) may be blocked from posting one, but can still read our posts I think.

Don't believe my cuz was meaning to suggest a link with dear Jason to this website.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks Gascony

Is that why you called him silly, arrogant ,short sighted fellow

Trus,True & True again its because you think hes watching us :roll:

Surely not :shock: as he will be to busy living his Millionare lifestyle to worry about minnions like us.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

And looking after his sprog, much to be admired; imagine, at the tender age of 32....and he's got a job.

Goat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Incredible MG, just incredible. And all those websites as well.

Moving back for a mo to Villadays - I have had a reply, and here is an extract - I thought he might have been watching us! Hullo Patrick!

" As for google search rank, we are most certainly doing all we can. I've seen the post on laymyhat, mentioning the poor search engine optimisation (SEO). There's a major update in final throws of testing and this including SEO for property adverts. Location searching SEO will follow in a few weeks. Our website has only been live for just under 5 months now. Improving search engine ranking will take time and we will monitor it closely over the next few months with the new SEO update."
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Really interested in that SEO stuff from Patrick, GG.

I do find it a dilemma - support the bargain deals and suffer the low SEO or.....

go with HR, HL and OD et al and one can be page 1 on the engines in 24-48 hours.

Actually, what's the dilemma?

I've heard this 5-6 months thing for SEO before, and I just don't see why - and therefore willing to be educated.

Now, let's work on the links....over to you, P.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG, I'm confused enough this evening, now I'm 'talking' to you on two forums/fora at the same time!!! :? I know nothing about SEO, but I seem to be doing OK.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

HelenB
Yes, it is a bit confusing, maybe I ought to change my name. Shall we shift to j2ski next? Or there's some seriously geeky SEO fora....

Is that ref. SEO on your own site, or VillaDays?

Goat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My own. Sorry.
J2ski's a bit quiet for me. In Ian's Saturday night bar in the Apres Zone on SnowHeads for me tonight.
:D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Sounds fun Helen - do they admit snow goaties?