2017 Prices after pound crash

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
aasta

Post by aasta »

We have always posted our prices only in Euros and it has not detered UK guests from coming....(over 70% of our guests are from UK)... have noticed fewer enquires from the Uk over the past months....but are being optomistic and hoping that the lure of the sunny climate will overcome their misgivings regarding the low exchange rate!!!
aasta
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

MisterC wrote:Now the big question! should I go over to Euros on my website? (I intend to use Transferwise after having taken Uk online bank payments before) Would the Euros put off bookers? As the majority of our customers come through a third party maybe not?
You live in the eurozone so price in euros. I assume you have a currency converter on your web site so potential guests world-wide can see the equivalent cost in their local currency.If you have the capability to take pounds/dollars etc. then you could offer enquirers the option, but you are taking a gamble on currency movements between the payment of the deposit and the balance if you do that.
MisterC

Post by MisterC »

Well I did (with some trepidation) revise my prices upwards so that they reflected an average Euro value we were getting over the past year. Surprise surprise: In the last week have taken a 3 week booking from Holland for June 2017 and a 6 week booking from South Africa(!) for rest of June & July 2017. Fingers crossed it carries on. Beginning to think that I was undercharging before!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

We only have our rates in Sterling on OD, this because most of the bookings coming via the site were from the UK (useful of course for interbank transfers to our UK bank). Now, we are seeing hardly any bookings via our OD listing from the UK but several from Germany and the NL.

Yesterday we took a booking via OD from Germany and the lady enquired why she was being charged in Pounds when she had found us on the German HA site. Had to explain in my best German that the ad was coming from OD but visible on Fewo-direkt, so original currency is Pounds Sterling. Looking at the same listing on Fewo-direkt, rates are quoted there via the system in Euros, so can understand that she was confused.

We also still have our VR listing showing up on Fewo-direkt but our OD listing works out slightly cheaper in conversion than our VR listing (which is in Euros), because our pricing in Sterling cannot keep up with the up/down EUR/GBP rates. I think we will either move to Euro rates on OD or keep in Sterling at GBP1.00/1.10EUR to get a more accurate conversion. The problem is that we of course become even more expensive in Sterling for the fewer Brits we are trying to attract via our OD listing.... :cry:
MisterC

Post by MisterC »

In a similar position but have now gone over to Euros on OD/HA and my website - bit of a palaver as we are pay as you go and not subscription but worth it in the end. Seem to be more European bookings now (which is good) and as expected, less UK ones which is sad - except that the French leave the place much cleaner than the Brits! Yes it will be more expensive for UK clients but hopefully their loss will be made up a bit by other nationalities. Although have noticed an increase in short breaks from British house hunters via Booking.com.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We have always advertised in £'s as usually all our clients are from the uk.
We have a uk account, so easy for us to do, and a good part of our expenditure other than house bills etc are paid in £'s. Plus we wait for the best exchange rate before transferring money to our euro account for living expenses.

I think it gives us an edge on our euro quoting competitors. It allows our guests to budget for the whole holiday without worrying about FX issues. So it is worry free for them....that's why I started off in £'s, and so far I think it helps. We have booked up faster than our competitors in the last 12 yrs, so maybe it gives guests peace of mind.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
vfmfca

2017 Prices after the pound crash

Post by vfmfca »

Almost all our guests are from the UK so our pricing is in Pounds but our costs are in Euros. Ideally I would like to keep our prices in pounds as pricing in Euros during the last year would have vastly increased our prices to UK guests. However ideally I would like to have separate Euro prices for advertising in Europe and set our own conversion rate, unfortunately Owners Direct etc do their own conversion of our Pound prices on their European wesites, making our prices much cheaper to Europeans after Brexit. Interested in what other people think.
Last edited by vfmfca on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past, present and future walk into a bar, it was tense!
Administrator of Holiday Home Rentals Facebook Group (List you Holiday Rental) https://www.facebook.com/groups/812251865631382/
CSE

Post by CSE »

Europeans
Who are they? Most of us believe in our own countries, we thought the British do too, no matter what their politics are.
Seeing as your website is a co.uk your prices will have to be in pounds as that is a UK based domain name.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Seeing as your website is a co.uk your prices will have to be in pounds as that is a UK based domain name.
Why? I have a .com and wouldn't dream of posting in US$. I have the prices showing in the currency most of my guests use.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Maybe it should be put more simply: A CO.UK is for UK based businesses to UK based customers.
https://www.names.co.uk/domain-names/gu ... -extension
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.uk
Sorry, I do not remember writing about .coms.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

casasantoestevo wrote:Maybe it should be put more simply: A CO.UK is for UK based businesses to UK based customers.
https://www.names.co.uk/domain-names/gu ... -extension
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.uk
Can you link to the legal requirement for .co.uk sites to show prices in £s?

I'm sure we would all find it useful
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Ohhh catty!!
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
CSE

Post by CSE »

Ho, you are so disturbingly troublesome and you know that. That is not what was said that is very obvious.
lorca

Post by lorca »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Europeans
What utter nonsense - they don't "have" to be in any particular currency. Thankfully you are still in total control of how you manage your website (as long as it's legal... :wink: )
If not now, when?
vfmfca

2017 Prices after the Pound crash

Post by vfmfca »

Sorry I should have said making our prices much cheaper to Non UK Residents after Brexit, as we are all Europeans. Companies like RyanAir set their prices in Pounds and Euros depending on your location and the starting location of your flight. They dont just convert Pounds prices to Euro prices at the current market rate of exchange as Owners Direct try to do with our Pound prices when they list our properties on their French, German and other websites.

Of course any UK business can and do trade in any currency they like and can have bank accounts in those currencies.

Like many UK residents with property abroad the effects of Brexit and the uncertainty is a worry hence the debate about how we deal with the fall in value of the Pound.
The past, present and future walk into a bar, it was tense!
Administrator of Holiday Home Rentals Facebook Group (List you Holiday Rental) https://www.facebook.com/groups/812251865631382/