2017 Prices after pound crash

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

COYS wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Yet we regularly get French guests & have only ever priced in £'s.
I don't think there is a magic formula - the cost is what it is, if they are happy with that it makes little difference what the headline currency happens to be.
But

Do you allow them to pay in euros?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
CSE

Post by CSE »

Some of you have obviously hit the keyboards, without reading the links. :roll:
And a few of you have thankfully not done the above. :) Well done to those.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

casasantoestevo wrote:Some of you have obviously hit the keyboards, without reading the links. :roll:
And a few of you have thankfully not done the above. :) Well done to those.
And some of us object to being patronised, and to seeing other forum members being patronised, and find it offensive.

What would you like to say to them?
COYS

Post by COYS »

pepsipuss wrote:
COYS wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Yet we regularly get French guests & have only ever priced in £'s.
I don't think there is a magic formula - the cost is what it is, if they are happy with that it makes little difference what the headline currency happens to be.
But

Do you allow them to pay in euros?
I suppose the simple answer is no, although I wouldn't say we don't allow it as such. We invoice in £'s & get paid in £'s. But then again I don't recall it ever being an issue with the French or any other nationalities.
If it's an issue for some & they swerve us at enquiry stages for those reasons, we'd have no way of knowing anyway so no point worrying about it.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think might be more of an issue for me, as my property is in France.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Maybe HellsBells, but who knows?
I suppose whatever works for each individual & keeps us all bobbing along can't be a bad thing.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

My experience is that French banks are singularly unhelpful when it comes to overseas transactions even in euros. Some seem to insist on customers visiting their branch to do it even if they use internet banking.

Acceping payment in euros for a property in Europe is not only good for owners but perhaps more importantly is a guest:friendly thing to offer.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

+12111111
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

pepsipuss wrote:My experience is that French banks are singularly unhelpful when it comes to overseas transactions even in euros. Some seem to insist on customers visiting their branch to do it even if they use internet banking.

Acceping payment in euros for a property in Europe is not only good for owners but perhaps more importantly is a guest:friendly thing to offer.
French do tend to be a bit behind in their online banking habits. They all seem to want to visit the branch to make a transfer, and they still use cheques. Recent booking had to wait until Tuesday to transfer the funds, as his branch closes on Mondays(common if they also open on Saturday mornings).
I haven't had any problems with transfers from UK to my own French bank though, although most will pay via Paypal instead.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

pepsipuss wrote:My experience is that French banks are singularly unhelpful when it comes to overseas transactions even in euros. Some seem to insist on customers visiting their branch to do it even if they use internet banking.
You're right there Pepsipuss, if I want to arrange (from the UK) a new bank transfer from our French bank I have to physically write all the details on a piece of paper, sign it, then scan it and email it to them. Subsequent transfers to the same person I can do online but that's not very practical for new guests all the time. :roll:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

KathyG wrote:
You're right there Pepsipuss, if I want to arrange (from the UK) a new bank transfer from our French bank I have to physically write all the details on a piece of paper, sign it, then scan it and email it to them. Subsequent transfers to the same person I can do online but that's not very practical for new guests all the time. :roll:
Take a look at Transferwise Kathy. Not only very straightforward but unbeatable rates. Or currencyfair whuch can be better for large sums. The beauty of Transferwise is that you can get guests to open an account and transfer to you without either party making a whopping loss on rhe exchange rate

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My own French bank (although it is Barclays) now does everything online so I no longer have to fax or post the request to the bank, everything is there in my online banking. . If it is a transfer to a new recipient, I get a code sent to my mobile.
COYS

Post by COYS »

A visit to a Greek bank is an experience no sane person would endure on a regular basis. Part of the reason we deal with as much as we can from this end.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

pepsipuss wrote:
Take a look at Transferwise Kathy. Not only very straightforward but unbeatable rates. Or currencyfair whuch can be better for large sums. The beauty of Transferwise is that you can get guests to open an account and transfer to you without either party making a whopping loss on rhe exchange rate
That's interesting Pepsi! Must go and take a look!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We price in euros - always have - but Transferwise has made the payment process just so much easier for UK guests. Think I was one of the very first to use it and have seen it come on in leaps and bounds.

I create a direct link for each guest to pay - they click on it, do a quick registration if they're not already registered, then simply enter their card number (debit or credit) or bank details. They don't need to fiddle about with my bank details - TW does all that - and I receive the payment 24 hours later (often less). Very cheap for them in terms of commission too - 0,5%. Without exception, all are delighted.