LOGS

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ludwig

LOGS

Post by Ludwig »

With the winter months coming up, I wonder if other folk charge guests for logs? If so, what is a reasonable charge for a week's worth per fire?

I was thinking of providing one basket and asking for a contribution thereafter. Since the logs are available in an open shed in the garden I'll have to rely on people's honesty!

Many thanks for any suggestions/experience in this area.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I think it depends on whether burning logs is an essential part of heating the house. If it's just to look pretty, then I think it's reasonable to charge. If guests need the fire/stove just to keep warm, then I don't think it would go down well if you asked them to pay extra.

We have a multifuel stove and we provide smokeless fuel because the stove is a significant part of the heating. Smokeless is a lot more energy-dense than logs so needs less storage space and handling. We do have a woodshed too, to which guests have access, but we don't guarantee that any wood will be available - and usually it isn't because we only get the chance to fill it up about 5 times per year when we visit.

One thing we do notice is that some guests burn an outrageous amount of fuel while others hardly touch it. Either they're full-on pyromaniacs or they think they've paid for it so they may as well use it!
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Ben McNevis wrote:
One thing we do notice is that some guests burn an outrageous amount of fuel while others hardly touch it. Either they're full-on pyromaniacs or they think they've paid for it so they may as well use it!
Or they don't know how to use stoves and leave the doors open so it burns too quickly :roll:

Your point about whether it's essential for heating the property is key though - you'd be pretty hacked off to find you have to pay extra to be warm on your holidays. Another consideration is how high end your property is - if it's at the luxury end, I suspect your guests would expect logs to be included in the price.

We're installing a stove this autumn - it's in no way necessary for heat, but it's lack has been a criticism from our winter guests. We intend to provide one small bag of logs and the guests will have to then buy their own after that. We're hoping that that might make them think about fuel consumption, if they're buying their own, too!
Tivoli

Re: LOGS

Post by Tivoli »

Ludwig wrote:With the winter months coming up, I wonder if other folk charge guests for logs? If so, what is a reasonable charge for a week's worth per fire?

I was thinking of providing one basket and asking for a contribution thereafter. Since the logs are available in an open shed in the garden I'll have to rely on people's honesty!

Many thanks for any suggestions/experience in this area.
Surely the price to punters must equal the price you pay, unless you particularly want to make some extra profit.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

We provide a complimentary smallish basket full (enough for two 'lays' of the fire so to speak)+ kindling and a couple of firelighters and I also lay a fire ready. After that, they are on their own.

There are plenty of local places which sell logs. We used to provide it on demand but my poor husband was forever chopping firewood and he simply does not have the time or energy for that now, even if we were to sell it to them, so we keep our own firewood well out of sight. I make it clear that they have to buy extra from a shop, if they want to have fires. There is no need for heating reasons as the cottage is very cosy but some just like the look of a fire. Very few go to buy logs, having finished ours.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Logs are provided for our guests free of charge. I also leave firelighters (predictive text originally wrote this as "firefighters" - I should be so lucky! ) :D

We have a supply of logs for guests to help themselves to. The cottage also has central heating which is under the guests control.

We are graded 4*. The logs aren't that expensive if you buy in bulk.

Edited to add: log burners and open fires are seen as an attraction in holiday cottages.
The existence of the log burner has resulted in guests choosing to book with us. It would therefore seem churlish to charge for the logs in order for them to have use of the fire in the same way that I don't charge separately for anything else (other than use of the tumble dryer).
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

We provide a basket of logs and kindling, fireligters etc which also does 2 lays of fire in the log burner. It gets very hot with it on so often guests don't use more than half the basket. We have central heating at the guests full control.

Our blurb clearly says people should buy more logs if they want them from nearby garages but I generally offer a top up basket if people run out (as we have a handy supply in our log store). I'd be pretty miffed if people helped themselves to this without asking - which so far only one guest has done.

I think it's down to whether it's the sole heating supply as others have said, and also how 'high end' you are...similar to the 'how many loo rolls do you supply' question! :lol:
So much to learn....so little time!
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

One of our key selling points is the Scandanavian log burner - although as others say, many guests never touch it!

We have full central heating, but once of the nicest attractions of our home is a cosy evening in front of the log burner and we provide a packet of eco logs (enough for around 8 hours use) unlimited kindling and eco firelighters.

We have a big stack of extra packs of ecologs in the garage that guests can help themselves to on an honesty basis - we charge £4.50 a pack which is actually less than cost price if you take into account the cost of delivery.

By the end of the year they are all gone and my honesty box is empty but I always try to look on the bright side in that they probably used a little less LPG!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

FelicityA wrote:We provide a complimentary smallish basket full (enough for two 'lays' of the fire so to speak)+ kindling and a couple of firelighters and I also lay a fire ready. After that, they are on their own.

...... There is no need for heating reasons as the cottage is very cosy but some just like the look of a fire. Very few go to buy logs, having finished ours.
Exactly this - they don't need to use the wood burner to keep warm at the cottage so I do likewise.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

waterwitch wrote:By the end of the year they are all gone and my honesty box is empty but I always try to look on the bright side in that they probably used a little less LPG!
Maybe if you priced it in round pounds, i.e. £5, then they wouldn't have to try (and fail) to find the exact change.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think that is a very sad reflection on the guests to have an empty so-called honesty box. Shame on them! :( I wouldn't want them back as that is basic human decency to take something and then pay for it. If they don't have the change, then they should have left you the fivers! I have mainly Americans staying and they are 99% such honest people, telling me about every little glass broken. I don't think any of them would dream of using something which is not theirs to use.
Martha

Post by Martha »

We provide them and I factor it into the cost. It generally nets out OK in the end - some people hardly use it, some people have it going all day and night.

The idea that wood is expensive is not something that people consider, I think. Lots of people mention that it must be great having log heating when you live in a forest. Not when it's a pine forest!

I agree it comes down to where you are pitching the price - and also how important a log fire is to the charm of the place. At least one basket should be included, I think.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We provide logs at no charge - a basket next to the stove and free access to the log store. We're off site so it's easier for us to manage it that way.

We get a load delivered each Autumn and it's not that expensive.

The stove isn't essential for heating and I imagine some guests never use it, some use it once, others have it going every evening. I'm sure it helps us attract winter bookings and the free logs probably help in a small way too.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I installed a Woodburner last year and have firewood available but being spain no one has used them. I have my punchline waiting for the first guest who asks if wood is expensive....well it doesn't grow on trees boom boom.

Seriously, if someone burns loads I would charge them want it costs me, say 5e or 10e.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I've found that if you have something present and it's not screwed or bolted down it will get used or taken and honesty boxes don't work.

My stove isn't a main source of heating but it's really nice though. When I bagged up a bag of logs, coal, paper and kindling etc for an evenings fire in one larger bag and placed several in the shed for them to take at cost price and asked them to pay into an honesty box they never did but all the fuel would disappear. Too easy.

So now I make up the stove and fill the coal bucket and provide enough extra logs for one good long evenings fire only. No more.

Sometimes it gets used, sometimes it doesn't and I've never been asked for more fuel and there isn't any for them to take from the shed anymore.

I've found that if you do provide something for them to use and it runs out then they expect you to provide more when they run out, if nothings there in the first place then they don't ask for more.